Mk IV with 70-200 - First impressions

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Mk IV with 70-200 - First impressions

Postby gstark on Thu May 27, 2010 3:13 pm

Leigh has managed to get a brand new Mk IV for a road test, and to stop it from feeling lonely, it's being chaperoned by a new 70-200.

What a nice couple these two make. I managed to have a very quick play last night at the HTC Legend / State of Oranges launch at the Oz Mvsevm, and I was most impressed at the speed, handling, feel, and quality of this kit.

In all honesty, I can understand why it's doing so well, and if Canon were to hand me a kit for a while, I'd have to say yes.

The image image display in the rear LCD is very clear and crisp, and I was just using the camera in basically whatever mode Leigh had it set to. I bumped the ISO to 8000, and as long as the image was not under-exposed, it seemed to be very good and very bloody acceptable. As soon as an area was underexposed, some noise became evident, but as yet I've not been able to see the images on a monitor or printed out, so i cannot make a real assessment as yet, except to say that that I was impressed.

First impressions though are way better than I'd expected.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Mk IV with 70-200 - First impressions

Postby surenj on Thu May 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Gary,

You guys are lucky to get hold of these toys! 8)

please post some examples of images as well as crops from the noisy areas when you have the time. I would be especially keen on the ISO 8000 and above.

Did you dabble at the 102400? :wink:
surenj

Postby gstark on Thu May 27, 2010 6:30 pm

We merely had a SD card in, which is Leigh's safe hands; I'll need to grab some of the images from him.

And no, I didn't push it at all; I was getting interesting results at just 8000; no doubt we will push it further over the next few days.

What really surprised me was how light the body actually felt. With no glass, it really felt very light.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Thu May 27, 2010 10:29 pm

gstark wrote: if Canon were to hand me a kit for a while, I'd have to say yes.

Me too.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Doctor on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:02 am

I've been lucky enough to get my hands on both the MkIV, and the new 70-200 on a few occasions and I have to say that together they are epic. I used the 70-200 and MkIV at Clipsal earlier this year, and was really impressed with both. The 70-200 is sharp as a tack, the new focus ring is handy as well. I couldn't fault it. Same goes with the 1d4, I used this again the weekend just gone, the AF had no problems tracking the bikes on track, if i had the money, Id buy the 1d4 in a heartbeat. The 70-200 though, im not sure its quite worth the big money they are charging over the old model...
Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one
Doctor

Return to Canon Corral