20D from www.photo.co.nz

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

20D from www.photo.co.nz

Postby Rusty W. Griswald on Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:52 pm

I have been looking at the best prices for a 20D, (just out of interest of course :lol: )

Came across this NZ site that is supposed to have a very good reputation.
http://www.photo.co.nz/newprods/newcanon_dig.htm

A Canon EOS 20D + 18-55 EF-S + post works out at around NZ$2,356.11.

With todays conversion rate, that would be $2168.39 AUD !!

Even allowing 10% for GST, that is just an amazing price :shock:
What would be the go with warranty? Can I buy one of those MACK warranties, would Canon Australia honour it?

Anybody know of any better prices?
Rusty W. Griswald

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:00 pm

Not trying to Canon bash of course, but weren't a whole bunch of Canon users irritated at the fact that the 350D was pretty much identical to the 20D?

I mean, from what I understand, they both have the same sensor, the same plastic-y body... you might want to check out the difference between them because, if they're very similar, a 350D might be a less expensive alternative.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby petal666 on Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:10 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:Not trying to Canon bash of course, but weren't a whole bunch of Canon users irritated at the fact that the 350D was pretty much identical to the 20D?

I mean, from what I understand, they both have the same sensor, the same plastic-y body... you might want to check out the difference between them because, if they're very similar, a 350D might be a less expensive alternative.

The 350D is cheaper because it doesn't have ALL the features and has a plasticy build rather than the Mag body of the 10D/20D. The sensor is also a different one to the 20D. (although again it is similar). I wouldn't touch the 350D due to the crappy plastic body alone. It just feels cheap and is very small. It does have a battery grip though.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:05 pm

I've heard from Canon Australia the new replacement of the 20D is just around the corner, correct me if I'm wrong.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Rusty W. Griswald on Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:55 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:
Not trying to Canon bash of course, but weren't a whole bunch of Canon users irritated at the fact that the 350D was pretty much identical to the 20D?

Sounds like the D70 users and the D50.
Rusty W. Griswald

Postby Antsl on Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:16 pm

The 20D is a great camera, comparing the 350D to it is a little like comparing the F100 with the F80... one is a professional grade camera while the other is designed for entry level amatuers.

I know the guys at Photo and Video in Christchurch, NZ (http://www.photo.co.nz) and they are the best camera shop in NZ. They supply so much equipment to a national and international market that they get a reasonable margin on gear from their suppliers. If the price is right then go for it... they are reliable to deal with.
Antsl

plastic-y the 350D may be....

Postby rjlhughes on Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:25 am

but curiously I haven't found the way it feels or looks to be a problem.

Similiarly I haven't found it uncomfortable to carry around in my hand, despite its small size. I don't have small hands and thought I would need to buy a battery grip to add some heft to the body.

Inspired by the picture of the d70users strap, I've tied a large loop in my neck strap and use it on the wrist, so that helps.

Perhaps it's because I've come up from a a95 point and shoot that I don't think the 350d feels cheap.

It is light though, and that's a definite advantage for someone who likes to carry and use the camera a lot.

I'm not sure about not having professional quality - I do worry that I'll break it if I'm not careful.

The difference between a pro and amateur approach used to be how much film you shot. The pro shot rolls and rolls and the amateur shot frame by frame. Now digital means we can all shoot heaps.

And provided the shutters keep working that should mean we have endless opportunities to improve, even with a D50 or 350D.

Actually I think the 350 is a marvelous camera, way beyond my capabilities to make it perform.
Bob

"It is always the instantaneous reaction to oneself that produces a photograph." Robert Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjlhughes/
rjlhughes

Postby Big V on Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:06 am

I have a 300D and am currently using the 20D, they are chalk and cheese. The 20D is a fantastic camera and the build quality is amazing. I am using battery grips on both cameras and the difference in weight is obvious. A friend has the 350, no where near as impressive. Having said that, they all take fantastic photos...but you actually dont worry about banging the 20D around!!!
Canon
Big V

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:11 am

I had couple opportunities to hold, play with the Canon 1Ds MKII, 20D, 350D, 300 in a lab and in preview with Canon Australia HQ, I 've known few CPS guys in Canon, they asked me to come and play with the toys sometimes.

The first two are great tools, the feel are better than the 350 & 300, I like them to be honest, the Canon 1Ds MKII is a brilliant toy, if I'm with Canon, I definetely to go with the 1Ds MKII.

Finally I'm still with my Nikon bodies, and the D2x suits me best in all round and I still have some loose change for a Pro-zoom lens.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby mic on Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:31 pm

I hear the 20d is a superb camera, Birdy, is the Nikon D2x similar, better ?

Cheers,

Mic.

:wink:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby birddog114 on Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:00 pm

mic wrote:I hear the 20d is a superb camera, Birdy, is the Nikon D2x similar, better ?

Cheers,

Mic.

:wink:

Not a contest here, the 20D is same level of the D70 or little bit better, + and - on both sides.
The D2x can be competed with Canon EOS 1Ds MKII, thought it's not 16MP and full frame but thru many reviews from DPR and others, it does the top job and 1/2 price of the Canon
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to Canon Corral