Canon digital image competition

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon digital image competition

Postby rjlhughes on Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:15 pm

http://www.canon.com.au/digitalimage/ho ... image_main

and it doesn't have to be from a Canon camera, I understand.

So there may be some satisfaction in our friends with Nikons entering.

Prize is a P&S, and printer etc.
Bob

"It is always the instantaneous reaction to oneself that produces a photograph." Robert Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjlhughes/
rjlhughes

Postby Wacky on Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:55 pm

'sif our Nikon friends would lower themselves to enter into a Canon competition...most won't miss any opportunity to diss 'em...then again they might in order to show em up!
Wacky

Postby MHD on Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:05 pm

the only problem being that by entering you are effectively giving them your photo to use however they want
read:
http://www.canon.com.au/digitalimage/Ph ... er_v4.aspx
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby Wacky on Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:16 pm

Yeah, I've noticed that with alot of comps....I'd only let them do that if I won :) at least then I'd have some sort of compensation...
Wacky

Postby MHD on Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:18 pm

Ditto on both counts...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:40 pm

Wacky wrote:'sif our Nikon friends would lower themselves to enter into a Canon competition...most won't miss any opportunity to diss 'em...then again they might in order to show em up!

Please people ... let's not let this thread degenerate into a quagmire.

If a member thinks the prizes are worthwhile and doesn't mind letting the IP go, then by all means; who cares who runs the show?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Wacky on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:27 pm

gstark wrote:Please people ... let's not let this thread degenerate into a quagmire.

If a member thinks the prizes are worthwhile and doesn't mind letting the IP go, then by all means; who cares who runs the show?

C'mon, if the Nikon fanboys can have a dig at Canon for their "Dummies Guide ..." and the comments that were made in that thread, then surely my comments can be taken in the same jest....you didn't have a problem with that thread having a go at Canon....
Wacky

Postby rjlhughes on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:36 pm

On a slightly different note: the photos that get the top ranking from viewers in the Canon comp are interesting - very colourful with simple and striking designs mostly.

You could make the argument that on this forum the Nikon pics show the best of the Nikon characteristics. They're incredibly sharp and often display the use of great lenses (like the long distance pics of ships).

Likewise the Canon shots in the comp make the most of the strengths of that brand. That's actually interesting to learn from, IMHO.

Canon are more flickr, this forum more photosig (to vastly oversimplify).

On the copyright issue - I should have mentioned the T&C, but I personally think it's great fun to enter competitions. It's a project that can turn out to be very worthwhile. I wouldn't mind licensing my copyright to a picture for 2 grand and bragging rights...

I appreciate not everyone feels that way.

But if you do hear of a photo competition I'd certainly encourage you to post it on the forum.
Last edited by rjlhughes on Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

"It is always the instantaneous reaction to oneself that produces a photograph." Robert Frank

rjlhughes

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:59 pm

Wacky wrote:
gstark wrote:Please people ... let's not let this thread degenerate into a quagmire.

C'mon, if the Nikon fanboys can have a dig at Canon for their "Dummies Guide ..." and the comments that were made in that thread, then surely my comments can be taken in the same jest....you didn't have a problem with that thread having a go at Canon....

Because it wasn't having a go at Canom users. While the site referred to was a Canon site, it does appear to have a copule of technical issues, which are fair game. I note the site is no longer available, btw.

It was a legitmate link, provided in good faith, and, just for the record, the "Dummies Guide" books are a very successful franchise; I hardly see referring to such a successful franchise as being derogatory.

I'm happy to take comments in jest, but you need to bear in mind that I will not tolerate pissing contests of any kind. There's a very fine line that we're treading, and your comment, seriously, by suggesting that Nikon users "lower themselves" comes across in a different context to me.

Similarly, your "Nikon Fanboy" remark is not really helpful either, and I seriously hope that this is the first, and the last, time that I see the term "fanboy" in these forums.

That said, I know that the majority of the Nikon users here also respect the capabilities of Canon cameras (and Pentax, Olympus, etc) and the reason we're here is photography, and not to "diss" other members here.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you would respect my wishes in this regard.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:01 pm

rjlhughes wrote:On a slightly different note: the photos that get the top ranking from viewers in the Canon comp are intersting - very colourful with simple and striking designs mostly.

You could make the argument that on this forum the Nikon pics show the best of the Nikon characteristics. They're incredibly sharp and often display the use of great lenses (like the long distance pics of ships).

Interesting observation, but contrasted by our current PotW, don't you agree?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby rjlhughes on Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:09 pm

True -

Although last weeks POTW was technically based....the point was that we can learn from other styles, of course

and anyway

I always generalise!

I also verb nouns.
Bob

rjlhughes

Postby leek on Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:12 pm

Wacky wrote:C'mon, if the Nikon fanboys can have a dig at Canon for their "Dummies Guide ..." and the comments that were made in that thread, then surely my comments can be taken in the same jest....you didn't have a problem with that thread having a go at Canon....

Eeek!!! Double Eeek!!! Do I really have to be that careful with my words from now on???

I did not intend to associate Canon users with Dummies... It was an attempt at humour, based on the fact that it was a site aimed at beginners (and that type of guide is commonly known and referred to as a Dummies guide to...)
Nikon have had a similar Dummies guide for a while now (I can't be bothered to dig out the link at the moment)... I merely reported the new Canon one as a possible additional online resource that might help some people...

If you perceived that to be an attempt to criticise Canon or Canon users, then you shouldn't have...

Damn it, some of my best friends are Canon 20D users... :-). I have a Canon SLR myself (admittedly a rather old A1, but it still works).
The 20D is probably a better camera than the D70, but so is the D2x...
I don't really care which camera people use, as long as they are interested in using it effectively and let me see some photos now and again...

Can we please drop this over-defensive brand protectionism and concentrate on helping each other take better photos... Pretty please???

Oh and that includes Sigma Gary :-)
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Wacky on Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:29 pm

Leek...lol...see PM

EDIT: removed rest of crap to PM...
Wacky

Postby leek on Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:40 pm

Fair enough Wacky... BTW... This just in:
UPDATE: We have received news from Canon that the site has been temporarily removed due to the wrong use of sample images.

I wonder what they mean by that??? :shock:
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Wacky on Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:49 pm

lol

must...refrain...from...posting...jokes... *Wacky tries to clear head of jokes relating to topic*
Wacky

Postby rjlhughes on Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:01 am

what I'm waiting for is the Dummies Guide to Dummies.

Now that would be a Christmas gift idea!
Bob

rjlhughes

Return to Canon Corral