Metz 45 CT4 Flashes

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Metz 45 CT4 Flashes

Postby ozonejunkie on Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:48 pm

Hello All,

I have just acquired 2 of the above mentioned flashes to add to my collection. I am a little bit confused about how to "properly" connect them to my EOS 300D. Currently, I am using a PC Sync Adapter on the hot shoe, which provides no additional functionality.

I know that these flashes don't support E-TTL or anything wonderful like that, but according to the Metz web site, it is possible to get some more functionality via the adapters.

From what I understand - I need 2 adapters, One from the hot shoe to the Metz "System" and one from the "System" to the flash.

I have received with them a TTL "splitter", but it uses the SCA300 series adapters. So, I am thinking that I might try and get TTL happening using a SCA 312AF adapter for the camera, and then a SCA 300A adapter to get to the flash.

Does anyone know where to get a SCA 312AF adapter?

Has anyone had experience with these flashes to guide me on the differences in the 300 & 3000 Systems?

Thanks
Tristan
ozonejunkie

Postby joolz on Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:21 am

I don't shoot Canon, but I have the Metz 45CL which I used with my Nikon f90x & my canon G3 P&S (thoough it looks a little overpowering in that latter scenario). I've got the SCA 3000 adaptor for both Canon & Nikon - it doesn't do iTTL or ETTL. You have to shoot manually with this flash when shooting digital.
My partner who shoots canon and uses the 60CT. He basically shoots manual with a PC sync adaptor like you do, however we've now changed to a radiowave transmitter setup for wireless sync.
I don't think you'll get much more functionality with the adaptors. We've never gotten it to work. Was there something in particular you wanted to do?
I haven't had much experience with splitters so I can't help you there.
I bought my Canon adaptor from Michaels in the city (Melbourne).

From the Metz website:
What is the difference between the SCA-300 and SCA-3002 systems?
SCA-300 is an analog system, whereas SCA-3002 is digital. As a result of the additional exchange of digital data further special flash functions become possible when these cannot be set on the camera concerned. The flash units of the SCA-3002 system are downward compatible, and can ,therefore, also be fitted with SCA-300 adapters. However, SCA-3002 adapters are not necessarily compatible with SCA-300 flash units. For instance, the SCA-3000 C connecting cable is required to match SCA-3002 adapters with handle-mount flashguns of the SCA-300 system, but not all the functions of the given adapter will then be available with this connection.
Julian
joolz

Postby ozonejunkie on Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:49 pm

joolz wrote: it doesn't do iTTL or ETTL.

Does it allow the TTL mode on the flash to work or not? This was pretty much the only reason that I was thinking about using the adapters. I realise that it won't work with ETTL, was just hoping that I might be able to use "normal" TTL.

Thanks for the Reply
Tristan
ozonejunkie

Postby joolz on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:15 am

I couldn't get it to do anything automatic. I basically shot in manual. It does work for D-TTL on the film f90x body but no TTL on the d70, 300d or 20d.
Julian
joolz

Return to Canon Corral