Canon 5D (12.8mp full-frame)

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby petal666 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:27 pm

Someone was telling me that the difference in quality between .jpg and RAW on the Canons is far smaller than on the Nikons (apart from all the other advantages/disadvantages). No idea if it is true or not.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby pippin88 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:26 pm

petal666 wrote:Someone was telling me that the difference in quality between .jpg and RAW on the Canons is far smaller than on the Nikons (apart from all the other advantages/disadvantages). No idea if it is true or not.

Could well be true, depends upon the JPG compression method and level. Might have other factors too.
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby kipper on Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:37 pm

FYI, Ted's are already listing this item due for release early september.

Price $4999.95.....sounds a lot better than $5000 eh

I'm sure Birddog could do them for a lot less :)
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:18 am

kipper wrote:FYI, Ted's are already listing this item due for release early september.

Price $4999.95.....sounds a lot better than $5000 eh

I'm sure Birddog could do them for a lot less :)

It does not fall behind the D2x much/ 5K for the 5D , does the difference 2K will compete with the flagship D2x? and on the other side the D2x can compete with the 1Ds MKII easy in quality.
Wait to see what the D200 can do for you and what the price tag of it? it'll surprise all you guys with and how Nikon reply on this game.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Sheetshooter on Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:10 am

The image quality of most of the internet examples of the EOS5D on DPReview and the Canon site itself can't hold a candle to similar shots from the D2x on the same sites, or same sort of sites. There is no comparison when it comes down to close scrutiny. One of the DPReview shots that we examined was a mess of noise in the red channel along with a marked noise floor, not very sharp (with the new zoom lens) and had serious striping.

While the D2x is not without its faults, it is as good as you are going to get in a 35mm based DSLR. If the D200 ends up being the D2x with scaled down options as it appears to be then the price-point will offer the same quality for a lower, and perhaps more competitive price. But to clamour for way inferior quality just for the celebtation of the NEW or a factor of pixel count and dollars is chasing windmills.

The inherent problem with all DSLRs (apart from the now defunct Kodak 14) seems to be centred around the anti-alising filter and the ability of the algorithms to reconstruct the image. Nikon seem to have a better handle on this and their files are very impressive.

By comparison I looked at a Hasselblad H1 with Leaf Aptus 22MP back yesterday - the difference was astounding (and before someone else chimes in to say it ... so is the price). The pixel count may have been a part of the improvement although the native image size was only just 45cm on its longest side compared to about 36.3cm for the D2x but more significantly the Leaf back has no low-pass filter and the resolution of the lenses is captured without interference or interruption.

You get what you pay for (HOPEFULLY) and at the present time, and possibly for some time to come, the cost of the best DSLR capture device would seem to be around the seven grand mark here in Oz. The Nikon D2x.

[As a point of interest, the Leaf Aptus is on special at present at just $36,000.00. It will fit a variety of cameras (including my view cameras, which is a worry) so if the cost of the Hasselblad is too steep there is always the Mamiya 645 which is a fine piece of kit with lenses to rival the Fuji-built 'blad.]

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:14 am

Somebody needs to tell Leaf to take their technology and add it to some Nikon and Canon accessory backs, in FF 35mm sensor size.

Then you can have a FF digital Nikon FE whatever, for maybe just $25K. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kipper on Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:21 am

Gary, I was mentioning this the other day. Why not just turn some of the existing slr cameras which are in perfect working order into usuable digital cameras with a digital back.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:04 am

And, what about the H2 :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Glen on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:09 am

Kipper, there was a company doing that in the states about 3-4 years back. They went broke.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby kipper on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:18 am

Bugger, that was a shame. Guess the product wasn't any good? Or maybe the market hadn't caught onto digital? Poor marketting?

Do you have a URL to the company or the name. I'd be interested to see the product and the results.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Glen on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:27 am

The company was Silicon Film, the product was Efilm, they went broke in September 2001 from memory (don't quote me there). I doubt a bankrupt company has a URL but you could try and google them
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby kipper on Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:00 pm

Yeah, I didn't expect them to have a url but didn't know if you had or knew of a url to their product (eg. old review).

http://www.side.com/
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0209/02091903siliconfilmagain.asp

Not sure, but could they be still going? :)
Perhaps I shouldn't have sold that F80 after all.

Although that was 2002 that article, I guess it's died again since then.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Previous

Return to Canon Corral