Processing parameters on Canon D300

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Processing parameters on Canon D300

Postby Falko on Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:26 pm

Hi Everyone!
I am still exploring my D300 and I wonder if someone from Canon Corral is using the manual processing parameters or everyone is shooting into the RAW format only?
Also what are settings for the standard processing parameters (Parameter 1 and 2) - they are producing quite different pictures.
Falko

Postby ozonejunkie on Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:29 pm

TBH - I started out shooting in JPEG (how good can this RAW stuff be?) then after I learnt how to convert effectively, I very rarely shoot anything except RAW.

In other words, I have never dealt with these settings on my 300D, but am offering advice to shoot RAW, and save worrying about these parameters until you have the time to "play" with the images on computer.

Tristan
ozonejunkie

Postby Big V on Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:48 pm

I manually changed the parameter settings to use contrast plus 1, sharpness plus 2, colour ples 1..having said that, I normally only shoot RAW and for quick and dirty processing use Picasa2 from Google to view and edit. When I have a photo which needs a bit of a tweak, then photoshop.
RAW gives you much more flexibility and once you get used to it, does not take too long.
Canon
Big V

Postby Falko on Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:46 pm

Well, I am always using RAW but members of my family prefer JPEG.
Anyway, according to the spec the standard settings for D350 are:
• Parameter 1 (con +1, shp +1, sat +1, tone 0)
• Parameter 2 (con 0, shp 0, sat 0, tone 0)
Couldn't find similar info for D300 thou, probably it is easier to forget about JPEG completely and convince everyone to do the same :)
Falko

Postby Big V on Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:25 pm

Shoot in RAW and then convert using Picas2 to jpeg, th ebeauty of Picasa2 is that it does not alter your original file but exports a file with the made changes. You can select the size of the exported file, the quality etc etc..give it a try and you will be surprised at how easy all of this can be. All of my web photos are done this way...reduces a 6 meg RAW file to about 900k, very easy to do and as mentioned above, the original file is left unchanged!!
Canon
Big V

Postby rog on Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:55 pm

I agree that RAW is the way to go. If you care enough about the settings in camera, then it's worth taking the extra care/space to shoot RAW.

Cheers,
- Rog
rog

parameters

Postby stuw on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:55 pm

As someone new to digital SLR capture, I started on the Adobe RGB setting. But after reading the manual, it says it should only be used by people who know about image processing and adobe RGB.

Since then have been using Parameter 1, as the manual says the image will have vivid and crisp colours.

Parameter 2 will be more subdued. I am yet to try this setting as I am quite happy with the Para 1.

One day I will try RAW.

Manual makes no mention of the settings used to attain para 1 or 2.
Stu
stuw

Postby Sheetshooter on Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:03 pm

A little off topic (well, a lot of topic actually) but I would just like to extend a warm welcome to Stuart who I have known for some time now.

Enjoy your stay and I trust you'll find this an embracing and informative lot.

Back to the PARAs. (Only Para I know and love is the Port!!)

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

thanks

Postby stuw on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:28 pm

Thank you SS for the warm welcome, good to see a Nikon man in the Canon Corral!

I forgot to mention, in addition to the para 1, I also have been using the "cloudy" white balance setting at times. At sunset, the colours are very rich and warm. Just like Kodak film with an 81C filter! Now those were the days!

I just printed a shot I took a few weekends ago. I was using a xerox colour photocopier (made more for speed than quality) and the toner was a little low on some colours, but a beautiful print it made. Just on plain copy paper too.

My only problem is replicating... it will never print again at such a tone :-( the cartridges since have been too low or now renewed.
Stu
stuw

Return to Canon Corral