***on leads the way.....

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

***on leads the way.....

Postby rjlhughes on Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:36 pm

Two new dslrs from Canon:

http://www.camera-info.com/index.php?op ... 7&Itemid=2

(and this post repeating the general discussion mentions of DPReview from the person who's always whinging about repetition.)
Bob

"It is always the instantaneous reaction to oneself that produces a photograph." Robert Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjlhughes/
rjlhughes

Postby johndec on Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:07 pm

Pfftt... :lol: 15-love to Canon, Nikon yet to return serve.... Then it will be Canons turn, then Nikons,etc, in a never ending game.
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby rjlhughes on Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:11 pm

that's right.

did I say something about repetition?
Bob

"It is always the instantaneous reaction to oneself that produces a photograph." Robert Frank

rjlhughes

Postby PiroStitch on Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:12 pm

It's a conspirancy I tells ya....cripes even their names rhyme!
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby rjlhughes on Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:13 pm

In the end, of course, it won't be dslrs as we know them now, except as consumer items for people living in the past.

People who were involved in amateur radio will remember how when another ham died the first thing his widow did was get rid of all his gear that she hated so much.
Bob

rjlhughes

Postby johndec on Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:41 pm

PiroStitch wrote:It's a conspirancy I tells ya....cripes even their names rhyme!

Wandering a bit OT, that may not be so much of a coincidence as you may think. Although I don't think the originating companies of Canon and Nikon were closely linked prior to WW2, many Japanese companies were at that time. When the Americans occupied Japan after WW2, they found that the whole industrial framework of Japan was controlled by a few companies working very closely together (there is a word for it that currently escapes me. Someone else will fill in the blank).

The Yanks forced these few companies to de-merge in an attempt to create greater competition. This worked on the surface but old habits die hard and companies in Japan that are outwardly competitors still happily exchage trade secrets in such a way that would be considered a gaolable offence in the West. Nikons VR and Canons IS may well be an example of this closet interaction.

Here endeth the history lesson :shock:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby rjlhughes on Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:45 pm

Interestingly when I asked one of Sydney's leading lens cleaning experts about choice in lenses - his only advice, but adamantly said, was to avoid IS.

I didn't think I could afford them anyway, so I didn't ask why he said that.
Bob

rjlhughes

Postby Sheetshooter on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:42 am

Well, there's a conundrum for you:

"***on leads the way...."

could be either CANON or NIKON

And in the light of that fact the statement could be expressed in Boolean terms as either TRUE TRUE or FALSE FALSE.

The ONLY truth in my estimation is that NOBODY leads the way ....

In the days of yore when a piece of film was the common denominator it may have been possible to arrive at a conclusion that one camera or lens system may have performed more ideally than an other. Such is no longer the case. Now there is NO COMMON DENOMINATOR and it is the camera and its processing algorithms, chip and functions which determines a 'look', a 'feel', a 'preference' in much the same way that people once thought of Kodak vs Fuji, German glass vs Japanese glass, Mechanical vs electronic.

The Sydney launch for the canon EOSD5 is being held on Thursday and at that time we should get some idea of what local pricing and availability is likely to be. From that point a decision can be made according to the taste, needs and expectations of any given individual as regards choice.

Comparative tests seem to suggest that the 12MP D2x APS-sized capture is of higher resolution in the field than the 16MP EOS1DS MkII on an image of the same size. Could a new EOS 12MP chip outperform an existing EOS 16MP chip? Would it be in Canon's best interests for the cheaper camera to make the more expensive camera obsolescnet. Are the reviews that declare such findings fair-dinkum? Would there be the same outcome if the magnification of the subject were altered to frame a picture the same on the two different sized chips? It's hard to say because in their own subtle ways each of the reviewers exercises deft sleight of hand in pushing his particular barrow and these are the tricks of the trade that are set out as gospel for the purposes of the converted but are flawed in the eyes of the sceptics.

If there is a lead at all it can only be as a result of the adoration of the NEW - an adoration which is simply a manipulative device in the employ of those whose aim is the pursuit of rampant consumerism.

Tribalism based upon marques has fuelled competition since someone first expressed delight in a better clay pot or string of beads. What deprives us consumers in this era of the DSLR is that there is really only a choice of two. The big C or the big N. And, in the long term that can't be all good. A duopoly can hardly be any better than a monopoly. So pardon me if I don't get too excited - I'm saving my exuberance for when there is a real contender from Olympus, or Pentax, or Leica, or anyone .... just make it someone .... that enters the fray.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby rjlhughes on Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:03 am

That's right,

two choices is no choice at all - it's a dilemma.

and sorry did I misspell that - it should have been "****on", perhaps, as in Foveon.

And before someone objects, of course, it's the idea of Foveon rather than the actual application.

See you all there on Thursday.
Bob

rjlhughes

Return to Canon Corral