18-55mm Canon standard lens, what's it good for?

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

18-55mm Canon standard lens, what's it good for?

Postby stuw on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:36 pm

Just curious what the folks out there think of the standard lens that comes with the 300D.

Do most of the people here use their older lenses or buy other lenses?

Personally, I miss the ability to see the distance readings on the outside of the actual lens itself, when focusing manually in darkness. The auto focus tends to be a bit slow and confused when focusing on people at night.
Stu
stuw

Postby gstark on Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:38 am

It's generally not too highly regarded at all.

While I've seen some quite good results from it, the concensus seems to be that it's a POS, and there's a whole slew of reasons why most make a choice to use other lenses.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Cyrus on Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:00 am

I feel I fit into the category of the people mentioned by Gstark, I have a 350D and the kit lens will get you by and it's not too embarrasing, unless you wish to publish the pictures somewhere or you really yearn to be proud of your shots.

I am waiting for my new Tamron SP AF 28-75mm/f2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro lens to turn up so I can have some more flexbility and better shots overal in macro and portrait settings. The I suspect the kit lens won't get much action after that day.

If I had the choice to get the camera with or without the kit lens, I would still get the the kit lens, but only as an emergency back-up.

Cyrus
It is more important to click with people than to click the shutter.
Alfred Eisenstaedt - father of photojournalism
Cyrus

Postby kipper on Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:42 am

Good choice in replacements :)
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby rjlhughes on Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:26 am

Go and have a look on http://www.photosig.com - look under lenses and then under highest rated to see the quality of photos that amateurs can get from this (or any other) lens.

If you set that as your standard for the moment you'll avoid getting into the arms race that sees people spending more and more money on lenses, and less time thinking about how they get the most of out of what they've got.
Bob

"It is always the instantaneous reaction to oneself that produces a photograph." Robert Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjlhughes/
rjlhughes

Postby Speedy_msd on Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:40 pm

Just curious what the folks out there think of the standard lens that comes with the 300D.

Do most of the people here use their older lenses or buy other lenses?

I use the 35-80mm Canon lens that came with my 35mm Canon much more often that the 300D kit lens.
Speedy
Canon 300D, UnDutchable Firmware
Canon PowerShot A95, Canon EOS 500...
My photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/speedy_msd
Speedy_msd

Postby Big V on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:28 pm

This lens is capable of producing good images. You are responsible for the composition, the focal length, the aperture, the shutter speed and the ISO rating. It will not match an L series lens but it is no where near as expensive either. Go out and use it, learn to be creative with your setup and when you are ready to do upgrade, then do. Until then have fun and do experiment. I have printed many photos out at A4 on gloss paper taken with this lens and they are fantastic to look at.
Canon
Big V

Return to Canon Corral