EOS 5D as little as two weeks off .....

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

EOS 5D as little as two weeks off .....

Postby Sheetshooter on Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:25 am

.... but all shipments pre-sold until after Christmas.

Met with a buddy yesterday arvo who had spent the morning at Canon in North Ryde checking out not only the EOS 5D, but also the 24-105 IS lens, the EOS-1D MkIIn and the new flash.

Delivery of the first EOS 5D cameras and 24-105 mm lenses is expected in two weeks. The other stuff was of no interest so I didn't let the details sink in.

Quirkiest part of his chat was that Canon have used a new material to make a camera body cap which does not attract dust. What is in the minds of those design people that would lead them to think it would make all that much difference?

Anyway, the arrival of the EOS 5D as a manifestation of Canon's future direction certainly puts a cat among the pigeons - a much anticipated and long-awaited cat at that.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:57 am

That's an excellent news!
Then who wants the 5D, has to source it from overseas market, I heard the price of the 5D from Canon Australia is not fruitful either, almost same as the situation of the 1Ds MKII once it was released last year.

I knew where can I get one for myself :wink:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Glen on Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:16 am

They definitely keep the announcement delivery timeline short!
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Re: EOS 5D as little as two weeks off .....

Postby DaveB on Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:33 am

Sheetshooter wrote:Quirkiest part of his chat was that Canon have used a new material to make a camera body cap which does not attract dust. What is in the minds of those design people that would lead them to think it would make all that much difference?
OMG! Could it be? Naaahh... They wouldn't have responded to user feedback!

It's been well-known for a while (at least in the crowd I "run with") that body/lens caps are a major source of dust. They collect it in your pockets (I keep them as pairs to cut this down, and the Canon ones at least stay together as a pair unlike the Sigma & Kenko ones), in your camera bag, or even from the air, and transfer it to the camera. Using a blower helps, but there's little substitute for running them through the dishwasher every now and then. BTW, I'm not making this up!

Of course, I'm intending to order a bunch of stuff from B&H in the next month and my shopping cart over there currently has a spare body cap in it (more-accurately the one that copes with the protuding elements of a TC). It's only US$7, but now you've got me wondering if I should hold off on that. :roll:
DaveB

Postby petal666 on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:27 am

Although not at good as Apple (1-2 days), Canon's announcement to availability period certainly is a lot shorter than Nikons. it's still not good enough if you can't actually get on till Christmas though.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:49 am

petal666 wrote:Although not at good as Apple (1-2 days),

Yes, I agreed! if it's in season! :lol:

Canon's announcement to availability period certainly is a lot shorter than Nikons. it's still not good enough if you can't actually get on till Christmas though.

All are with the same strategies! Canon or Nikon always have their immediate release of their new DSLR models after 30 days of announcement, but the real full supplies of those never reached consumer's hand after 3-4 months, the Canon 1Ds MKII is still on and off in Australia market while the D2x is healthy stock atm.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:20 am

Dave B, what you need is one of those anti static bags you see pro photogs have looped from their belts to keep their lens caps in.

PS Dave, I am making this up, I hadn't personally seen this as a big problem, but maybe it is :lol:
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby petal666 on Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:36 am

Not say you would buy from here or that the price is exact but center.net have it up at $4839 http://www.centre.net.au/Canon_EOS_5D_D ... 00642.html
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby birddog114 on Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:38 am

petal666 wrote:Not say you would buy from here or that the price is exact but center.net have it up at $4839 http://www.centre.net.au/Canon_EOS_5D_D ... 00642.html

petal666,
Aren't you going to upgrade yours?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby DionM on Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:04 am

petal666 wrote:Not say you would buy from here or that the price is exact but center.net have it up at $4839 http://www.centre.net.au/Canon_EOS_5D_D ... 00642.html

Hmmmm ...

If it was $3849 I'd be thinking about it seriously.

If it was $2849 I'd buy it in a flash.

If it was $1849 I'd be waking up from my dream right about now :lol:

Canon 20D and a bunch of lovely L glass and a 580EX. Benro tripod. Manfrotto monopod. Lowepro and Crumpler bags. And a pair of Sigma teleconverters, and some Kenko tubes.
http://www.dionm.net/
DionM

Postby birddog114 on Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:36 am

DionM wrote:

Hmmmm ...

If it was $3849 I'd be thinking about it seriously.

If it was $2849 I'd buy it in a flash.

If it was $1849 I'd be waking up from my dream right about now :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Perhaps will be the first prize for the big challenge No7 at Xmas dinner :lol:
But the winner has to attend to the Xmas dinner to receive the prize other wise will be passed to the others.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to Canon Corral