Anxious to try the EOS 5D

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Anxious to try the EOS 5D

Postby Sheetshooter on Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:27 pm

Damn but it tries the discipline!! Yesterday (Wednesday) I was tied up moving so it was not until today that I could get my EOS 5D. The batteries are charging and I might give it a burl tomorrow - but then there are 189 boxes to unpack over the long weekend and si it may have to wait until next week for its baptism in fire.

Sure as hell feels like a real camera.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby Glen on Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:34 pm

Sheetshooter, will be very interested to see your opinions. Even more interested to hear how long it takes you to get comfortable with it. :wink:

I take it you are in the land of Italian coffeeshops now?
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby ajo43 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:48 pm

amazing discipline. I'd be taking pictures of the boxes!
Regards

Jonesy
ajo43

Postby Sheetshooter on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:02 am

Jonesy,

I had nearly 30 years of photographing not much other than boxes and am well pleased to be shot of it.

Glen,

Not only the MOccha Java but found a great $10.00 T-bone tonight.

See ya!

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:10 am

I know how you feel Walter - get things sorted out so you will then have lots of time to enjoy and give us your expert opinion :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby MCWB on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:19 am

Good to see you back Sheetshooter, hope you're settling in to your new place nicely! I admire your stamina, if it were me, to hell with the boxes! ;)
MCWB

Postby Sheetshooter on Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:42 am

MCWB,

Well it is also good to see that you are back safe and sound. I am really keen to see if you did any more of that moving scenery stuff that I enjoyed so much. Or your take on other aspects of the places you visited.

Chris,

I have 27 boxes between me and the kettle and I'm busting for a cuppa. I'm sure you know how it is: addiction takes priority over necessity. PLUS there is a wait while a colleague cobbles together a new computer for me. After being a MAC devotee since the kick off I am switching over to a PC and my current machine running OS 9 won't cut the mustard with anything I need like CS2 and other stuff.

Cheers,

WG

Walter

Sheetshooter

Postby Heath Bennett on Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:54 am

Sheetshooter wrote:MCWB,

Well it is also good to see that you are back safe and sound. I am really keen to see if you did any more of that moving scenery stuff that I enjoyed so much. Or your take on other aspects of the places you visited.

Chris,

I have 27 boxes between me and the kettle and I'm busting for a cuppa. I'm sure you know how it is: addiction takes priority over necessity. PLUS there is a wait while a colleague cobbles together a new computer for me. After being a MAC devotee since the kick off I am switching over to a PC and my current machine running OS 9 won't cut the mustard with anything I need like CS2 and other stuff.

Cheers,

WG

you have saddened me SS :roll:

not only Canon but PC also? don't do this to me!!!

Seriously mate, enjoy - both I believe will offer incredible bang for buck.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby mitedo on Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:54 am

Hi did you also get the 24-105 mm lens with you camera would like to see some shots from the two
thanks
Kevin
mitedo

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:20 am

The boxes can wait.

It's playtime!

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Killakoala on Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:20 pm

Congratulations on your purchase, and also on your successful move.

I know how stressful moving can be, i've done it may times, 7 interstate moves in 15 years, but i can offer only one bit of advice. COFFEE..... :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Sheetshooter on Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:27 am

Thanks guys,

I have a job to shoot on Tuesday morning (weather permiting - it has been postponed twice already) and I am sorely tempted to bite the bullet and try it on the DSLR. I might keep the view camera and some film close at hand just in case I run into the sort of snags old codgers find with amazing ease and frequency.

Walter

Sheetshooter

Postby gstark on Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:41 am

I'd probably be inclined to work the other way - use the film camera as the main instrument, and the DSLR as a backup - because at this stage I'd be expecting the possibility of things like exposure being out by a stop or two (use your histograms, rather than how the image looks in the LCD, as guide to correct exposure) or the contrast range not yet being quite what you want (or expect).

But by all means, grab a ferry ride to Manly this weekend, and shoot the jazz festival. Stop at Darling Harbour along the way, and shoot what they're calling a festival too. That should at least give you a starting/reference point.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby LostDingo on Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:52 am

sheetshooter, I totaaly agree with gstark having recently moved to digital myself.

The digital environment is much different. When I used film such as ASTIA / Velvia or Kodak E100 I pretty well knew how my image would come out.

With digital it's much different and you need to change "caps" in your thought processes. I feel you will be very happy with your new toy but don't risk for a photo shoot is my opinion unril you had more of a play.

Shoot in conjunction and will help you learn greatly.

regards,

Paul
LostDingo

Postby Sheetshooter on Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:31 am

Paul & Gary,

You are spot on the money with my thoughts just that I possibly stated it a little ambiguously.

In addition to what you said, there is the issue of correcting vertical perspective and this landscape architecture that I'll be shooting has significant structures such asgazebo and pavilion to incorporate. On film I shall have all this in order at the moment of exposure and I need to see how well I can match it with PP and a bit of 'Transform'.

This all comes at a most opportune time because for some years challenges have been thin on the ground - I have done most things and can solve most problems intuitively with my view camera, meters (Exposure and Colour Temperature), lenses and experience. That lack of challenge can lead to a complacency and a tendency to 'do what one always does'. Perhaps the present situation is not as great as needing to re-invent the wheel, but it will certainly be a matter of devising the spoke or the tyre.

Cheers chaps,

Walter

Sheetshooter

Return to Canon Corral