New Nikon Mirrorless on the way

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

New Nikon Mirrorless on the way

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:15 am

You may have seen references to this elsewhere. I received the press release last week.

This will be a full frame, mirrorless camera, with a brand new lens mount, and an adaptor to ensure that our old glass remains usable.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/4/17650 ... mera-video

As much as I like the concept of a mirrorless camera, my experience is that nothing is better than an optical TTL viewfinder which, obviously, this camera won't have. My mind remains open, but ...
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: New Nikon Mirrorless on the way

Postby TonyT on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:36 pm

And the rumour Canon as well. Interesting.
TonyT

Postby ozimax on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:37 am

Just wait until Fuji releases a beautiful mirrorless camera with class leading jpg’s and superb little prime lenses and ... wait, they already have. :biglaugh:

I think Canikon are a little late to the party. However, the supposed product may be a world beater, with a juicy FF sensor and Nikon’s lens know-how. Interesting times.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby TonyT on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:29 pm

Its here or should I say they.
TonyT

Postby gstark on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:31 am

Curiously, I received two pressers yesterday, both for glass. None about the actual body.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby TonyT on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:18 pm

gstark wrote:Curiously, I received two pressers yesterday, both for glass. None about the actual body.

Interesting, have to wait for your thoughts are then.
TonyT

Postby Matt. K on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:02 pm

Rumour has it that the sensor is covered in mico-dots of tri-coloured potato starch. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:20 am

Matt. K wrote:Rumour has it that the sensor is covered in mico-dots of tri-coloured potato starch. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Made by Smiths, no doubt.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:49 am

gstark wrote:
Matt. K wrote:Rumour has it that the sensor is covered in mico-dots of tri-coloured potato starch. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Made by Smiths, no doubt.

With crisp image quality :biglaugh:
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:19 am

I managed to have a brief play with a Z7 on Wednesday evening. My primary concern was regarding any viewfinder lag through the EVF: being a mirrorless camera, the only viewfinder must be electronic, and I enjoy, I am very accustomed to, and I like the immediacy of an optical viewfinder. Using this camera, in the dark, I was unable to perceive any lag. Now, add into this mix the fact that with an EVF, there is automatic adjustment for low light (the viewfinder will adjust brightness to compensate) and this could become a very usable camera.

It was fitted with the new 24-70 f/4 Z mount lens, and I was shooting people with dark skin, in a dark setting, full auto, and seeing some very usable results with great skin texture. The camera was shooting at ISO3200, 1/400, f/4. There was also a line of older Nikons (kind of like Matt and me but longer) in a display. I set the focus point on the nearest of these and and made an image, and then looked at the result to see how the DoF was working, and again, I was quite impressed, with even the third camera away showi8ng a respectable level of defocus.

The body weighs a little more than the D3400, but significantly less than the D810, and the 24-70 is quite compact. The Z6 carries less resolution (24 Mp vs 45 Mp) and a price tag around half that of the Z7. The FTZ adapter seems to me to be an essential part of any Z kit, allowing us to use all of our legacy F mount glass.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take copies of my images - simply no facilities to do this at this event - but I've been promised a review unit in the next month or so. That's when I can post some images, and perhaps arrange a mini meet in case anyone wants to have a bit of a play.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Nikon