Flash suggestions

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Flash suggestions

Postby petermmc on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:56 pm

I dropped my SB600 last Saturday night about half a metre onto a hard surface. No exterior damage but it is just not working at all...no noises, lights or action in any way. I have replaced batteries and done all the usual non intrusive stuff including a few good shakes and a terminal clean but alas, not a squeak out of it. This was a great little flash.

I am interested in your opinions as to my next move. I use a D200 and use flash quite a bit.

Should I try to get it repaired? (Nearly 4 yrs old and quite a bit of use)
Should I get an identical replacement ie another SB600? (Much cheaper now in HK than my original but technology is moving on)
Should I upgrade to the new SB900? ($649 from HK...is this a better option?)

Any ideas based on your knowledge & experience would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Re: Flash suggestions

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:03 pm

Peter,

When you shake it, does it make any noises? Is the tube still in one piece?

I would say that it's toast, and given the price of a replacement 600, repairs would probably not be a viable alternative.

Does the 600 meet your needs? Will it continue to meet your needs into the next, say, three years? Consider potential future camera upgrades - how much longer do you anticipate using the D200, and what would your upgrade path be?

If that's a yes, then just replace it. Otherwise, upgrade.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:42 pm

I believe it is not uncommon for an SB-600 not to survive after a drop. I'm pretty sure another member had the same experience in the last 12 months and at the time a Google search found quite a few matches for similar issues - not a scientific sample by any means.
ATJ

Postby petermmc on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks for your input.

Sad that such a good flash breaks so easily. Maybe a good warning to others. In short Gary, it is officially toast. ATJ, your non quantitative analysis about the breakability of SB600 is good enough for me.

I think the prospect of a SB900 is looking good at the moment. A bit more power and a few more flashing lights never did any harm. I think the D200 will last me long enough (providing I don't drop it also) to skip a model and go for the D400 or whatever is the heaviest equivalent of a DX camera in about a year's time. Should fit on that quite well. By that time I will also have worked out how to use it.

Cheers.

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby Matt. K on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:42 pm

No flashgun that I know of will survive a drop onto a hard surface. I would suggest send it to Nikon for a repair quote. If it costs under $200 then perhaps repair is an option. Usually.....and in my experience...when Nikon fix something they do a good job and the work is guaranteed. The item usually comes back as good as new. By the way...I have a small Metz hot-shoe mounted flashgun that is over 30 years old and still giving sterling service! So even if you plan on buying a new flash-gun down the track it's still nice to have an extra. 2 guns = small studio flash setup. :up:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby aim54x on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:19 pm

Your repair will be in the region of $200....BigGerry dropped my SB-600 when I lent it to him and then he got it repaired (to keep for himself, replacing mine with another bought from HK) with a bill of around that price. For that price you can get yourself a new Nissin Di622 from HK (which does pretty much everything a SB-600 does other than CLS...but does have a built in optical trigger)

I would say... if you can afford it, get the SB-900, or even wait a few months to see if the SB-700 surfaces (only if you dont need the flash urgently).
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby biggerry on Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:48 am

Your repair will be in the region of $200....BigGerry dropped my SB-600

ta for that Cam, I was trying to keep that quiet - no chance of lending that 70-200 eh?

In short Gary, it is officially toast

was that from Nikon? I did fair amount of research about these fragile units, essentially if you drop it you will most likely bust the xeon tube, which is pretty abviously cause you can hear rattling around or its the inductor, if it ain't one of these then its probably well and truly fried, but at only 0.5m I would be surprised. The actual parts are dirt cheap and can be ordered from Nikon, the hard part is gettign it all put back together once its fixed..

Repair from Nikon should not exceed 200 bucks if it is indeed repairable - thats about the maximum pain threshold for that unit.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:52 am

Sorry Gerry! When do want that 70-200? Call me to organise.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby biggerry on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:26 am

Sorry Gerry! When do want that 70-200? Call me to organise

:wink: just stirring mate! I don't think i would know what to do with teh AF on the 70-200, would like all my christmas had come at once :wink:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:01 am

I think the prospect of a SB900 is looking good at the moment

Go for it!
I replaced my SB600 with an SB900. Never mind the power. The controls work the way they all should. i.e. dead easy to set. Being able to use it as a master is a real boon too. Even if you don't have extra flashes at the moment, this is a great way to go. YOu can always borrow extra flashes at need.

Only downside is that the new radio poppers don't work with them, but they are vapourware anyway (in this country at least!)
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby darklightphotography on Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:23 pm

I must be lucky. My SB-600 has hit the dirt several times, and once fell into a river, and is still going strong. :D
darklightphotography

Postby chrisk on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:09 pm

peter, unless you need the power and throw of the sb900 i'd be looking at an sb600 for sure. depends what you want out of your flash, if its simple hotshoe mount flash which you can bounce and swivel around then for me, save the money.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Matt. K on Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:26 pm

darklightphotography
Fell into a river and still works! Man...you are lucky! The gods smiled on you that day.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Return to Nikon