Transfering of images back to CF Card

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Transfering of images back to CF Card

Postby W00DY on Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:28 pm

Hi all,

Question...

If I have downloaded some images onto my PC from the CF Card (and erased them from the camera), then made some adjustments to curves, WB etc... How do I then transfer some images back to the CF Card in the camera so I can take the CF Card to the photo shop to get printed?

Cheers,

W00DY
W00DY

Postby gstark on Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:44 pm

Woody,

Transferring them back to your CF card is easy - just copy them on to the card using Windoze Exploder and you card in a CF reader.

Don't expect to see the images back in the camera though; that's a one way process.

For printing at a minilab, you might be better off simply buring the images to a CD; that way you have a permanent backup copy of the image as well.

Of course, you could always print them yourself too; some of the printers availabel today are very good and surprisingly inexpensive.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby W00DY on Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:07 pm

gstark wrote:Woody,

Transferring them back to your CF card is easy - just copy them on to the card using Windoze Exploder and you card in a CF reader.

Don't expect to see the images back in the camera though; that's a one way process.

For printing at a minilab, you might be better off simply buring the images to a CD; that way you have a permanent backup copy of the image as well.

Done and printed... Looked great, I don't think you would be able to tell the image came from a digital (well at least I couldn't).

gstark wrote:Of course, you could always print them yourself too; some of the printers availabel today are very good and surprisingly inexpensive.

That will be my next purchase. I used to have an Epson photo 810 (I think), but it never produced that good results and the heads kept on blocking up all the time. I think Canon make very good printers, will need to do some research.

W00DY
W00DY

Postby birddog114 on Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:21 pm

Woody,
Do you have CF Reader? if you have, just insert the CF into the CF reader, it'll appear as drive xxx in MY COMPUTER.
Select file(s) that you want to copy,Drag and drop edited photo to the CF (Drive xxxx).
If you want to print at the shop, be careful don't give the CF to the operator, my son ruined the 1.0Gb card, don't know what reason, but the card could not read or format after he brought it back, it's rare but it happened, sometimes that way also tranfers their infected virus to your sytem, as Gary mentioned, the safest way in burn them on a CD and give it to the shop.
The otherway is buying an USB flash drive 256Mb/ 512Mb or 1.0Gb, they're relatively cheap now ($55/ $110.00/ $240.00)
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:29 pm

W00DY wrote:I used to have an Epson photo 810 (I think), but it never produced that good results and the heads kept on blocking up all the time. I think Canon make very good printers, will need to do some research.

Dad (gstark) has an Epson 810... he seemed to be convinced it'd be a good buy, and yet it does the same thing.

Glad I have a Canon i865. :)

Maybe I should stick this in the printer thread I just noticed...
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby W00DY on Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:05 pm

Birddog114 wrote:If you want to print at the shop, be careful don't give the CF to the operator, my son ruined the 1.0Gb card, don't know what reason, but the card could not read or format after he brought it back, it's rare but it happened, sometimes that way also tranfers their infected virus to your sytem.

Good point.

I will burn images to a CD from now on.

W00DY
W00DY

Postby W00DY on Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:06 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:Dad (gstark) has an Epson 810... he seemed to be convinced it'd be a good buy, and yet it does the same thing.

I was convinced also... VERY dissapointed in the printer.

W00DY
W00DY

Postby gstark on Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:15 pm

W00DY wrote:
Nnnnsic wrote:Dad (gstark) has an Epson 810... he seemed to be convinced it'd be a good buy, and yet it does the same thing.

I was convinced also... VERY dissapointed in the printer.

W00DY

Using the right paper and ink, it can produce quite acceptable reults, but I have to agree that it it is, ultimately, quite disappointing.

And Leigh's Canon is far better, with cheaper and viretually water resistant inks. And it can print directly to CD as well.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:19 pm

Offtopic: I'll grab a shot this week of a sort of installation-esque art I did last year... it's a street-sign with a transparency over it... I laughed my arse off a couple of weeks ago when I went past it and noticed that the elements hadn't really done much to it... a bit of smearing, but still noticable. :)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:22 pm

Birddog114 wrote:If you want to print at the shop, be careful don't give the CF to the operator, my son ruined the 1.0Gb card, don't know what reason, but the card could not read or format after he brought it back,

If it was a microdrive, that can happen because (a) someone has mishandled the card - they should only be held by the edges - or (b) not all CF readers are equal. If the CF reader doesn't supply enough current to the card, the drive's motor can be burned out.

If it's an ordinary CF card, there are some tools that allow to go in to the card at a binary level and let you try to recover the lost data, as well as try to reformat the card.

The otherway is buying an USB flash drive 256Mb/ 512Mb or 1.0Gb, they're relatively cheap now ($55/ $110.00/ $240.00)

Are minilabs equipped to read flash drives?

IAC, I would stick with the CG. I's a relatively stable and relatively permanent way of storing the images, with little risk to your media or images.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:41 pm

Gary,
I confirm that is the CF not a MD, and I never use any MD, I know they're OK but just don't like. I tried the second option but gave up and send it back to our disti. I always backup prior to send to the shop for printing.

Mot of the shop I know they can print on our USB Flash drive from their Lab, mostly Kodak store.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Return to General Discussion