Does anyone know or experienced this?

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Does anyone know or experienced this?

Postby birddog114 on Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:43 pm

Westfield Shopping Town does not allow taken photo inside their building

I was in Westfield Miranda this afternoon, I saw a nice display Madza Z 2 doors inside for the Children Cancer Fund Raising (Raffle Ticket). I approached the stand and ask for permission to take photo the car. The staff at the counter agreed. I took 4 photos with my daughter posed in front of the car. I left after taken 4 shots with my D2H hanging on my shoulder, 2 security guys followed and came after, stopped and asked me:what did I photo?, I explained and told them that I asked permission prior to shoot.

They said I'm not allowed to take any photo in this building. I politely showed them 4 shots with the car and my daughter on the LCD screen of my cam and also told them: there's no sign to tell me " No photography allowed" and I did not know or see any condition of entry the building not allow me to take any photo.

They radioed (2 way Radio) to their Supervisor to report and I heard over the radio that he asked me to pack my cam in the bag and not taken anymore photo otherwise they have to ask me to leave the building.
Well, I don't know if I did anything wrong, I'm just nut and packed my cam, waited for my wife to finish shopping in Wooly and we left. No win win here.

Has anyone experience with this before?

I took few photos last week in Darling Harbour Shopping Complex, Orange Grove Shopping Complex, DFO in Flemminton and had some other shooting inside Queen Victoria Building before ,but no one bother to ask me a single question.

I wonder if our life has been changed?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:14 pm

I would politely ask them to show you where you agreed to those conditions of entry to the premises.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:27 pm

You're lucky that you got away with it on all other occasions. Shopping centres don't allow photography - it IS listed on their conditions of entry, that nobody reads.

But the main concern is shop competitors going over and copying either prices or store window displays of other shops. Amateur photographers don't usually get hassled cos it's one of those tough to enforce rules, but it's definitely a written no no.
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:21 pm

Onyx wrote:You're lucky that you got away with it on all other occasions. Shopping centres don't allow photography - it IS listed on their conditions of entry, that nobody reads.

But the main concern is shop competitors going over and copying either prices or store window displays of other shops. Amateur photographers don't usually get hassled cos it's one of those tough to enforce rules, but it's definitely a written no no.

Hi Onyx,
I doubt this very much, I asked the security guys: where's the sign and the condition of entry with the wording: "No Photo Allowed". They could not give me their answer, and perhaps they did not not know what they're talking about, ignored tried on their radio to their supervisor. I asked and told them before I packed my cam: if there is No Photo allowed in this building, you guy should post the sign and have the condition of entry clearly stated and posted to each entrance, make the public aware. like the bag search is the conditon of entry at every supermarket. It's not worth it to stand there for a debate.
Look at many tourists wandering with camera and video camera at Darling Harbour Complex same as Queen Victoria Building, Birkenhead Point Shopping Complex, Castle Tower and at many more places no one ask them a words.
What I think of, that's not a general or common rules applied to every place, just a hassle and guy want to show off their power[/u]
Last edited by birddog114 on Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:23 pm

gstark wrote:I would politely ask them to show you where you agreed to those conditions of entry to the premises.

I did ask but they could not answer and tried on the radio with their supervisor, just crappy, I think
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:33 pm

I presume it's a Westfield.

I hate Westfield - they're out of control

Call the centre manager tomorrow and complain about the behaviour of these gorillas. Complain that the were rude and menacing, and make a point that when you asked to be shown where the prohibition was documented at the entrances, they were unable to show you this.

Point out exactly what you pointed out to these power hungry gorillas, and make sure that you say that their behaviour towards you was both unprofessional and overbearing.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:08 pm

Gary,
Yes, it's Westfield Miranda.
We did not shop there very often, just today brought my daughter there for her to choose her formal dress for Y12.

I did show them all the sign at each ends of the esacalator with many signs of no dog, no trolley, woman in hand with chidren etc... but no sign of photo is prohibited, were disgusted and annoyed.

Well, just someone will be on their back later, I have something else to do and enjoy.

How's your day today? met all the nice guys I believed. Love to come but had other commitments with one of our customer. Hope next meeting, I'll be with ready.
Birddog114
birddog114

Funny you mention...

Postby Geoff on Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:31 pm

I was taking some random shots at Warringah Mall (AMP owned) in Brookvale a few weeks back, minding my own business and just experiimenting whilst my lovely fiancee was shopping..one of their security guards asked me what and why I was taking photos of, I said it was a new camera, I'd just bought it (well recently but he wasn't to know) and that yeah..I was just experimenting..He told me to put the camera away as this was against shopping centre policy..I didn't question it as I didn't want any harm to come to Cameron (yes, I've named my D70!)..haha..my two cents worth.

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Raydar on Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:45 am

I didn't want any harm to come to Cameron (yes, I've named my D70!)..

What a classic!!!!!!!
I like that 8)

I think I'll call mine Mortgage :P

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:33 am

Geoff,
Once again, I didn't see any policies about this issues or any posted signed:" No photography allowed" in those such places. These rules should address to the public and clearly post some where.
What happens to the Camera stores in shopping mall? Can their customer try/ test a new camera outside the shop prior to make their purchase?
average at least two camera stores in every shopping mall.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby phillipb on Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:14 am

It seems that Westfields has always had this attitude. Some people say that in these days of terrorisms etc. things have tightened up but I was told to stop shooting over 25 years ago at Westfields in Bankstown just before Xsmas when their nativity displays were very elaborate.
Mind you, my mate and I had tripods and large camera bags etc. all set up.
phillipb

Return to General Discussion