Eclipse or Isopropyl alcohol?

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Eclipse or Isopropyl alcohol?

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:57 pm

Just noticed this thread in DPReview:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=10000719

And the comment was made that isopropyl alcohol was less corrosive than methanol. I know that we used to use isopropyl to clean fax image sensors but don't know about this application. Does anyone know? If this was so it would make importing the pads easy and just mix with iso when it gets here. Any thoughts?
Glen

Postby Onyx on Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:56 am

Yes, it will work just as well - however I believe the issue is purity. All alcohol is hydroscopic, and many forms of it are deliberately mixed with water to reduce its evaporation rate. Other chemicals may also be present for one reason or another (eg. I know LPG is odourless but they add a stinking odour to all supplies so people can detect leaks).
Onyx

Postby NotExcessive on Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:10 am

Onyx wrote:Yes, it will work just as well - however I believe the issue is purity. All alcohol is hydroscopic, and many forms of it are deliberately mixed with water to reduce its evaporation rate.

I use isopropyl from my local chemist. That way you can get it in a pure enough form.
--
I rang Lube Mobile today. Imagine my disappointment when I found out they were mobile mechanics.
NotExcessive

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:32 am

Thanks Not excessive, it turns out that Eclipse is only $22 it was $145 for the sensor swabs, they don't have much (any) detail on their website
Glen

Postby NotExcessive on Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:38 am

Glen wrote:Thanks Not excessive, it turns out that Eclipse is only $22 it was $145 for the sensor swabs, they don't have much (any) detail on their website

Yes I never was quite convinced that it's worth paying a hundred dollars or more for a paddlepop stick worth $4. I just use a microfibre cleaning cloth (lint free) to clean the CCD. One drop of isopropyl is more than enough.
--
I rang Lube Mobile today. Imagine my disappointment when I found out they were mobile mechanics.
NotExcessive

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:56 am

How has the cleaning worked out so far? I am assuming well.
Glen

Postby NotExcessive on Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:36 am

Glen wrote:How has the cleaning worked out so far? I am assuming well.

I really don't know why some people on dpreview carry on about cleaning the sensor as being akin to neurosurgery. The AA filter is made from lithium niobate ferchrissake! It ain't THAT delicate :!:

Yes it works out quite well, and I clean around once a week. Most times I won't use any fluid, just breathe on the filter, and give it a rub with the cloth.

Heresy?

The earth is flat, friends....
--
NotExcessive

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:44 am

If you're going to clean it weekly, why not just use an oily rag ? :P
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby NotExcessive on Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:54 am

gstark wrote:If you're going to clean it weekly, why not just use an oily rag ? :P

I do - only use AGIP synthetic. That way, you can keep shooting up to 7000RPM before it fills the frame buffer.
--
NotExcessive

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:00 am

NotExcessive wrote:I do - only use AGIP synthetic. That way, you can keep shooting up to 7000RPM before it fills the frame buffer.

AGIP Synthetic?

Should be good for at least 15000RPM.

Doesn't your CF card have double overhead chrome plated hydraulic buffers?
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby NotExcessive on Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:24 am

gstark wrote:
Should be good for at least 15000RPM.

Doesn't your CF card have double overhead chrome plated hydraulic buffers?

No, it has the desmodronic valve system, to stop electron valve bounce on the data bus. Geez, I really wish you guys would keep up.
--
NotExcessive

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:09 pm

NotExcessive wrote:No, it has the desmodronic valve system, to stop electron valve bounce on the data bus. Geez, I really wish you guys would keep up.

I tried to hail the data bus one time, but the driver wouldn't stop. He was in the wrong timing loop it seemd.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby NotExcessive on Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:38 pm

gstark wrote:I tried to hail the data bus one time, but the driver wouldn't stop. He was in the wrong timing loop it seemd.

That's because you used an outdated driver. You need to update the driver in order for the system to work properly. The latest version is 6.1.0.
--
NotExcessive

Return to General Discussion