XP2 is evil!

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

XP2 is evil!

Postby Onyx on Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:17 am

As some of you would know, I'm currently on holidays with my laptop - using it primarily for image storage in my travels.

So I thought I would take advantage of cable internet I have here (I have dial up at home), and download & update my Windows system to XP2 (75Mb or so). Oooh boy... good thing the only important data on this laptop are the images, which have been backed up on CDRs.
The only new "features" offered are the annoying Security Advisor which loads on startup (I hate programs that load on startup by default), and built in firewall and IE pop-up blocker (currently using 3rd party apps with success).

I've never really had problems with my laptop before - it's barely 6 months old and I don't have a ton of programs installed/removed like I do on my desktop at home. But after installing XP2, this lappy is noticeably slower in use - which I attribute to the load of bloatware that's running in the background, and I've encountered more system freezes and random lock ups that I hadn't experienced previously. I tried uninstalling and system restore to pre-XP2 config, but it's still slow and buggy.

Since I didn't bring the orig XP CD with me on my travels, it looks like I'll be stuck with this until I get home, reformat and get everything back to "normal" again. <sigh> Thanks Microsoft, the largest software company... hey that reminds me of how some Canon users are bragging about Canon being far larger and more profitable than Nikon. Well larger is synonymous with better isn't it?! :D
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:31 am

Onyx,
Definetely, there's something strangely with your NB. I did the same thing w/ XP2 on my laptop & desktop PCs (2) with ton of software in them (PSCS, NC4,Neat Image etc...) No problem at all, run smoothly.
On my BenQ V6000i NB, I have 1.0Gb RAM & 80Gb Hdd, Centrino 1.7GHz and on my desktop PCs I have P4/ 3.4GHz/ 2.0Gb Ram, Each of them has 4 x 200Gb SATA. It took me about 15 min. to download and installed via Optus Cable modem (not ADSL).
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:20 am

I'm personally avoiding SP2 on each of my installations... I'm waiting to hear exactly what programs it decides to stop working (I want a complete list... not just a Microsoft released list....) to see if it'll actually annoy me.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:11 am

Onyx,

Only 75MB ?? I've downloaded the whole servic pack - 226MB IIRC!

I have it on the server and can burn it onto some CDs for Saturday, if some of you want copies.

I could probably throw a couple of other utilities on there too, for that matter.

But are you running XP Home or Pro? My information is that most of the issues relate to port blocking in their firewall, which, in true Microslop fashion, they're installing by default, and also in true Microslop fashion, they're trying to be smart, and as good as some of their people are (and they do have some very good people) being smart is a task that they've not managed to master.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:40 pm

gstark wrote:Onyx,

I have it on the server and can burn it onto some CDs for Saturday, if some of you want copies.

Gary,
Bring along with you a copy for me please.
TIA
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:26 pm

gstark wrote:Onyx,

Only 75MB ?? I've downloaded the whole servic pack - 226MB IIRC!

I could probably throw a couple of other utilities on there too, for that matter.

But are you running XP Home or Pro? My information is that most of the issues relate to port blocking in their firewall, which, in true Microslop fashion, they're installing by default, and also in true Microslop fashion, they're trying to be smart, and as good as some of their people are (and they do have some very good people) being smart is a task that they've not managed to master.

There's a fully inclusive XP2 version available for slipstreaming into an XP install disk that is a full 226Mb. This is available for download on MS's site for IT admins/professionals (as opposed to the home user/consumer part of their site). But the version derived automatically from Windows Update on my lappy (XP Home) came up to be around 75Mb.

Actually MS are giving away free XP2 CDs:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
Onyx

Postby Onyx on Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:30 pm

^^ "Slipstreaming" as mentioned in above post, here's a guide: http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/arti ... ide_1.html

It basically allows you to make a windows OS install CD that's fully patched up to the latest available version without the hassles of manually doing so after initial install. Useful if you muck around alot and re-format your HDD every few months or so...
Onyx

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:07 pm

Onyx wrote:There's a fully inclusive XP2 version available for slipstreaming into an XP install disk that is a full 226Mb. This is available for download on MS's site for IT admins/professionals (as opposed to the home user/consumer part of their site). But the version derived automatically from Windows Update on my lappy (XP Home) came up to be around 75Mb.

Actually MS are giving away free XP2 CDs:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

I'm not sure if mine is the slipstreaming version - I've not yet checked - but it's certainly intended for patching existing installations with. My understanding is that it will be the same binary as per the CD that you're referring to. Certainly that's the information that I have, which makes note of exactly that fact.

I may even create a slipstreamed build for myself; this is a normal procedure for their SPs, in fact.

As to ordering the CDs ... well, perhaps ... and given the excitement with which this SP has been recieved, the 4-6 week delivery time is probably not going to upset too many people. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:40 pm

That's exactly fully inclusive XP2 version available for slipstreaming into an XP install disk that is a full 226Mb.
I'll receive a update disk from MS soon but will be around 8 weeks, I guess.
MS will send all stuff to anyone subscribed Technet that we're and also are MS Solution Provider. 8 weeks is a bit longer and I might needed them soon for some works.
Thanks Gary.
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to General Discussion