Good walkabout lens question.....

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Good walkabout lens question.....

Postby hillsrain on Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:00 am

Howdy peoples! :D

Has anyone here had any experience with either the sigma or tamron 28-300. Its a huge zoom range and would likely be a little soft at the extremes, but when I am out and about and in dusty environments I would rather have the extra width and the length than have to change lenses and risk dirty sensors. When I am out offroading or bushwalking for example, it is far from the best environment to be fiddling with lenses!

It is a serious consideration for me ATM as a lens with great walkabout performance. For best quality a 50mm or even the kit lens would be the go. I have been using a borrowed 70-300 nikkor"G" and its reach is great, but it is really limiting stopping at 70mm and its owner wants it back! A good value wildlife lens though.

So any thoughts or words of wisdom you can impart me?

Cheers,
Tim 8)
hillsrain

Postby Raydar on Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:56 am

Ha Hill’s :wink:

I was just thinking “Don’t do that often” :?

What a bout the Sigma 70 - 300 APO with a 1.4 teleconverter, its something I’ve been looking into doing.
Has any one tried this setup; be interesting to see some images.

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:34 am

If money is an object:

Sigma 70-200 APO, Sigma 50 -500, Nikon 28-200 D, Tamron 28-300 ( did not have many good report).

If money is not an object:

Nikon 80-400VR, compact, good with its limitation.
Nikon 70-200 VR (little bit bulky for walk around lens and make you look like a Pro or PJ),
Nikon 24-120VR (Has some sweet spots)
Nikon 17-55DX
I choose the lens with VR coz I don't want to carry the tripod and in some situation with low light, natural light e.g: museum, art exhibition or some other venue, no flash & tripod allowed. Handheld is the only option and VR helps a lot in those situations.
Escpecially my case, when I put myself in a chopper or fixed wing aircraft cockpit with the vibration of the airframe.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Marvin on Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:14 am

Hi Tim,
I have the Tamron 28-300. It was all I could afford as an extra lens (my brother got it for me in Japan). Although I must say I am no amazing photographer, I am happy with it. I keep it on my camera most of the time and for a newbie like me who is working on my technique, it does me until I can afford something much better. I would be happy to e-mail you some pictures taken at different lenths if you would like - I do know that the photographer makes a huge difference though and I can't really tell if the lens is great or bad! Or, if you are interested, if you aren't in any hurry, I will be going to Adelaide in the school holidays (3 weeks or so). I would be happy to meet you somewhere and let you play with it yourself.
(Actually, upon re-reading this post, it probably won't help you at all!) :?
Marvin
Marvin

Postby hillsrain on Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:20 am

Thanks guys. :D This is just a walkabout lens in crappy conditions where a lens change is undesirable so the lenses that start at 70mm don't really "cut it" so to speak. Same for those with less than 300mm reach.

For me it comes down to either the tamron or sigma 28-300which is a pretty decent range. When I am at off road events for example it gives good reach, while still going reasonably wide. I am well aware that they are not the tack sharpest lenses out there, but they do meet a need.

Oh yeah, money is an issue, always will be.... LOL.. I wish that it wasn't.

So where does everybody like to buy their accesories in OZ? There is very little choice in South OZ unless you live in Adelaide and don't mind the hassle of travelling to the CBD.
Anyway better get myself to work to pay for these toys :D

Cheers,
Tim

**EDIT** Hey there Marvin, we posted at the same time! I'll drop ya a note tonight when I get home from work, am running late ATM. Am interested in checking out some pics mate. Cheers for that! :D :D
hillsrain

Return to General Discussion