Transferring images to the computer

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Transferring images to the computer

Postby Greg B on Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:04 am

In the thread on workflow, Raydar mentioned using a card reader on the basis of not using the camera more then necessary.

What do you all do? By using a card reader, it means you are removing and replacing the CF card fairly frequently, compared to connecting the camera to the computer.

Is there a consensus of what is better? I realis a card reader will be faster, but I usually start the download and go and put the kettle on - it is all squared away by the time I get back.

However, I would be interested in what you think.

Greg
Greg B

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:33 am

Greg,

Most of our systems at home have a card reader of some sort attached. I think the only system that's lacking one might be Leigh's, but IIRC, he may have "borrowed" one of my older ones anyway. Currently (for my new laptop) everything is USB2, and you do notice the speed difference.

But using a card reader is far and away the quickest way to move the files from there to here; I'm not at all concerned about removing the card from the camera becase I'll be doing that as a matter of course anyway when shooting while the current card runs out of space.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:42 pm

Greg, I thought it was just an American impatient thing, the masses online recommending a card reader, and I too were "satisfied" with the performance of transferring images via USB link directly from camera. I thought it was reasonable considering the amount of data needed to be sent, however for a mere $30 or so, a CF card reader with USB2 interface (or firewire) greatly improves transfer speeds. What took minutes now takes seconds.
Onyx

Postby Killakoala on Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:35 pm

I too, use a USB2 7-in-1 card reader.

(Except from my 2.2gig microdrive as that crashes the computer when in the card reader, but works fine through the camera.)

**Dreams** Hmmmm, D70 with bluetooth...............or maybe 802.1...............wi-fi............drools...

Steve
Killakoala

Postby hillsrain on Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:33 pm

I have always used a card reader. If for no other reason, than I am a clumsy twit and have a habit of catching stuff on cables hanging about everywhere.. LOL :lol:
Seriously they are so much quicker and easier, like slotting in a floppy disk. There is NO risk of a cameras batteries going flat mid transfer either.
I have transfered over 8000 images from my fuji 602 and over 2000 images from the D70 using the card reader and have never once had any problem with either the card or cam contacts.
Cheers,
Tim :D
hillsrain

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:41 pm

I have installed all of 8in1 card reader in our PCs. I have never used the cable link between the cam and the PC.
1/ Juice of the cam run out quickly if you forgot to unplug the cam off the PC.
2/ Cable tangible around my works area which I hated very much. Maybe knock-out if I'm careless or in hurry doing something.
3/ I need to check and verify the CF card everytime I go out and shooting(Just one of my habits).
4/ In case something wrong the CF and the reader can be replaced cheaper than sending the Cam to Maxwell and I have no toy for such long.
5/ Surge from PC can damage the cam because power drawn from the USB port on the cam or vice versa.
6/ I swap CF cards very often because I have mixed 6 x 1 & 2.0Gb and three digicams and each one have difference folder.
7/The card reader is just $25.00 with USB 2.0, transfering files/ photo is faster than use the cam.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:51 pm

Thanks for all the excellent feedback.

There would be appear to be no doubt, a card reader is the preferable way to go.

Which is good, I love buying more stuff for the camera :lol:

cheers

Greg
Greg B

Postby W00DY on Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:12 pm

hillsrain wrote:There is NO risk of a cameras batteries going flat mid transfer either.
 LOL this happened to me last night.... When I came back to the computer there were only a few images and half an image :)

The transfer actually copies half the image and then stops, I thought this was cool :?

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Say Yes to Card Readers

Postby Greg B on Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:46 pm

Card reader purchased (Sandisk 6 in 1), and that baby is fast.

Yes folks, your advice was right on the money, thanks

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby hillsrain on Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:47 pm

LOL Woody - Half an image huh.. :roll:

Good stuff Greg, glad it worked for ya! Mate if ya like spending money, I could do with a lens or 2 :wink: LOL

Cheers,
Tim
hillsrain

Return to General Discussion