Look at the old bag

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Look at the old bag

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:20 am

What do y'all use for carrying your camera and accessories around in?

I'm on the lookout for something that holds both a laptop and camera, so that I don't need to carry around two bags with me all the time. If it can also hold a change or clothes or small data projector, so much the better. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Small Data Projector!!!

Postby Glen on Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:14 am

Small data projector!!! Gary I have a 100 litre rucksack I take bushwalking, sounds like you would need all of that to carry your needs.

I use a small small backpack designed for cameras, which would just have room for a small notebook or t-shirt and jocks + camera and lenses. It was about $80 from International Camera Store who are in 222? Pitt St. I favour a non camera style backpack as it a) doesn't encourage thieves and b) allows candid shots to be taken. You can see my backpack at the meet. Another option appealing to me is a backpack called velocity 7 which I read about on dpreview. Do a search and get the manufacturers website. What was appealing is it is a single strap backpack which means you can twist the pack to the front to remove the camera, change lenses, etc. Not available in Aus, of course.

Good luck
Glen

Postby Glen on Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:59 pm

http://www.tamrac.com is the website for the velocity backpack
Glen

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:34 pm

Glen wrote:www.tamrac.com is the website for the velocity backpack

Glen,

Ok, Tamrac ...

I've seen a few at Fletchers, but in the Pro shop.

The Tamrac site seems to list quite a few models that might be suitable for me, but Tamron (the local importer) doesn't seem to list those models on their site. I've emailed them asking for more information on a few of the specific models I'm interested; we'll see what happens.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:43 pm

Gary, thanks for that couldn't find them in shops and when we weren't listed at the top of the international contact page I gave up. Will pursue them myself
Glen

Postby Onyx on Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:56 pm

I was asking the same question (1 bag solution for 2 items) on another forum. I was referred to http://www.crumpler.com.au - they have inconspicuous looking "urban" bags that won't raise an eye and advertise that you're carrying lots of expensive stuff.

My current bag is here:
http://images1.fotopic.net/?iid=y3tl4r&outx=704&oq=0&original=1&noresize=1&nostamp
Onyx

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:17 pm

So ...

I sent Tanron Oz an email asking where I could have a look at four specific models of Tamrac bags.

Full marks for a prompt (sub 2 hour, I think) response, but deduct 99% because she was asking me for a snailmail address so she could send me some brochures.

I've further responded pointing out that brochures are unlikely to tell me more than the Tamrac website (she claimed she couldn't give me any websites to review) but more importantly, no website nor brochure will give me the hands-on approach that I need in order to fully examine these products, and so I again requested details of who carries those models in Oz.

Any guesses as to her next response? More brochures, this time by courier perhaps?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:28 pm

Onyx wrote:I was asking the same question (1 bag solution for 2 items) on another forum. I was referred to http://www.crumpler.com.au - they have inconspicuous looking "urban" bags that won't raise an eye and advertise that you're carrying lots of expensive stuff.

Their product catalog looks interesting but somewhat unreadable. Their website is guaranteed to scare away a number of older users; it's almost unusable!

But the product catalog doesn't seem - on a very quick browse - to tell me much about the products. They seem to be far too interested in projecting a cool image than presenting any real and usable information. That's a big turn-off for me.

But I will peruse the catalog in more detail later, and see what turns up. My gut feeling is that it may take a visit to one of their locations in order to properly sus them out. And I think I'd be quite afraid to do that - I'm not sure that they'd be speaking the Queen's English there. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Thanks Onyx

Postby Glen on Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:40 pm

I was going to comment on the novel website, took me a moment to find the bags, but very suitable for a low key approach. Gary, I don't think anyone working in a shop 40 hours a week could live up to the coolness of the website. Though I admit it is hard to get around. I will pop into 305 King St next time I am in Newtown
Glen

Postby Onyx on Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:19 pm

I was at Officeworks today, I noticed they have several targus laptop backpacks that also have padded compartments that might be suitable for SLR system. Around $150ish. So check out your local stationary shop too!
Onyx

Re: Thanks Onyx

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:11 pm

Glen wrote:I was going to comment on the novel website, took me a moment to find the bags, but very suitable for a low key approach. Gary, I don't think anyone working in a shop 40 hours a week could live up to the coolness of the website. Though I admit it is hard to get around. I will pop into 305 King St next time I am in Newtown

I'm not entirely convinced that they would (or could) be working there for 40 hours a week.

As I said, the whole thing is a partial turn off, but while I do have an open mind, I truly wonder if they realise that their website and catalog's attitudes might be costing them sales?

"Cool" is not always cool.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raydar on Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:58 am

I’ve got a Lowepro Mini Trekker back pack.
The best thing I’ve bought for a wile.

Starting to get full!!!!! :?

Cheers
Ray :lol:
Raydar

Three bags full

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:28 am

OK ... I bought another bag on Friday - a Billingham 445 that looks like it will satisfy my needs, including carrying the data projector.

Other bags we have here are an Inca backpack that carries a reasonable supply of photo gear plus has space for a few clothes and such, and a LowePro Microtrekker 200, which gobbles up lots of photo gear, but makes no provision at all for a few clothes or a laptop.

And that's the problem with most bags that I've seen - they fail to recognise that you might want to take a camera, s laptop, and a change of clothes, but still travel lightly. A laptop plus camera is frequently catered for, as is a change of clothes plus camera.

But if you want a laptop where you're travelling, you're mostly expected (it would seem) to carry your clothes elsewhere, or not get changed.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion