Masking up the camera's logo

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Masking up the camera's logo

Postby Onyx on Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:28 pm

It seems this is an inherently Nikon thing - owners putting black gaffer/duct tape over the Nikon logo on their cameras.

I've noticed this also with a guy I met up with from Germany, who had this peculiar practice of taping up the camera logo. Then, I was scrutinising the pics I took during the republican convention protests awhile ago in New York, and even the photojournalists do it!
Pic: http://dr-cbtan.fotopic.net/p7559757.html

What's with this? Does anyone in this forum practice this peculiar habit? If you're reading this post and consider masking up the Nikon logo on your camera, tell me why!!!
Onyx

Postby MHD on Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:34 pm

:?: That is very strange??
Perhaps it is to disuade thieves?
Personaly I am proud to own a Nikon! (And will be even prouder when it is a DSLR)
MHD

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:49 pm

Onyx,

I've seen this done in tv shows, but I've been of the opinion that it was done because the camera distributors (Nikon, Canon etc) didn't want to pay the product placement fees to the shows' producers, thus they simply use what appears to be a generic camera in the show.

Even so, I've seen an 8700 and other Nikons - badged and obsured (camera obscura?) on shows like CSI.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Tape up logo

Postby Matt. K on Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:32 pm

It's done by quite a few people I know. The idea is to make the camera look as plain as possible. Not only to discourage thieves but helps to keep a low profile in street photography.

Cheers
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Onyx on Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:38 pm

Discourage thieves? A big black boxy camera is worth alot and highly desireably despite whatever label it has attached to it, in the eyes of the common thief.

But why only Nikon users do this? I've never seen a Canon covered up, or a Minolta, or Olympus E1 (which BTW were extremely popular with PJs carrying press passes at the republican protests)...

Anyway, maybe it's an idea we should adopt for the next forum group meet. :)
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:41 pm

I love Nikon and its logo but I only have the strap with Nikon Logo last time in the meet at Sans Souci, otherwise I diguised its straps or use difference strap or carry on the other events coz my experience in Monmarte, France and Rome Italy,
I have couple guys followed me, I was with a backpack and a Nikon F5 on my shoulder, They snatched and ran, I could not do anything, luckily I have all my equipments insured with home insurance policy so I got my F5 with the lens replaced,
And in Rome I was at knife point , a guy came to me with a knife, and asked me to hand the backpack on my back. All gone in two minutes, event my wife, she did not know, she was in the shop, she waited to pay for her purchase and I was wandering outside the store in the evening.
I got all covered by my insurance policy once again.
That why other photogs won't show any logo of their equipments. Most of the NPA agreed this part.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:29 pm

We don't need to gaffer the logo, we need an uzi. :twisted:
Greg B

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:58 pm

There's another reason why I would like to introduce the Optech Camera Strap to the community, more comfort. sturdy and solid with Optech strap.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Cameras with black bodies

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:32 pm

Just a little info - black camera bodies were introduced during the Vietnam War. Many war photographers in the field were getting killed (I believe around 200!) So, to combat reflection from their cameras they took to wrapping the bodies in black masking tape. The Japanese manufacturers took to this and hence black bodies - nothing to do with the Nikon logo (of which I am proud to show) but just a little history
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Onyx on Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:08 am

That's interesting hisotry sirhc.
Onyx

Return to General Discussion