Tripods

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Tripods

Postby Miliux on Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:55 pm

Talk about tripod:

Currently, I have Slik SDV-10, which is like the cheapest one ya can get.

I'm getting a Nikon D70. I'll be taking sports photos, long exposure night shots (low light), and landscape. I'll be carrying the tripod with me everywhere in Sydney CBD or whatever and have to be pretty light.

I'm thinking of spending up to 150 bucks.

Any recommendations which tripod I should get?
Miliux

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:52 pm

Hi Nexxus, I am not sure if this is available in Aus yet, or if it is in your pricerange especially as it is a Manfrotto, but it seemed a good idea.

link http://www.bogenimaging.us/feature/deta ... eback=home

Have a think on what you use it for, I bought a Manfrotto second hand which feels like it weighs about 10kg (probably much, much less) but the extra weight is great for providing stability. Maybe keep with your cheap one till after you get your d70 and see what the short comings are with it. There may not be any. I must say I for one worry about the latest gadget, then someone comes along with a better eye for composition than me and takes a great shot with a $50 point and shoot.

Good luck
Glen

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:11 pm

I'm with Glen on the Manfrottos. I've used them for maybe 20 years, and there are currently 3 pieces of Manfrotto hardware in this household - a full size but fairly lightweight tripod, the cute little cast aluminium tabletop with a ball head, and a monopod with a flexible rubber mounting for the camera.

Their beauty is in the engineering employed: they're both light in weight yet sturdy, which is precisely what you want from one.

Have a look around - go to their website in Italy (or I'll go Italy and look around for you<g>). While they have several that are less expensive, but designed specifically for digital cameras, I think you'll find that the target market for those are the more lightweight prosumers, rather than a DSLR.

What you need is one that is sturdy enough to (eventually) hold the 300mm f2.8 IF ED that you lust for, and with those, you mount the canera onto the lens, but it's the lens that you mout on the tripod, not the camera.

And while I remember, Manfrotto is known as Bogen in the USofA.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raydar on Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:05 pm

I’m for Manfrotto as well

I have just bought a pro mono pod with a quick release head; all up it cost around the $160 mark, but with the improvements it has made with the stability of the cam with a big lens is well worth it.

Next will be a tripod, looking at the models atm :?

Cheers
Ray :lol:
Raydar

Postby DragonStar on Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:35 pm

Yup, vote for Manfrotto here as well!!! I'm using one my dad had a few decades ago, and it still works like a dream! Silky smooth and really studry at all times.
DragonStar

Postby Miliux on Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:00 pm

I dunno if this is sufficient but...here it is!

The good thing about it is that it's light and easy to carry around.

What ya think peeps?
Miliux

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:08 am

My question is what is it made out of?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Glen on Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:26 pm

Nexxus, looks fine! I would keep using that till you notice blur from camera shake in your photos, then I would just let the camera settle longer before I used the remote. If I still noticed blur, hang your camera bag from the centre column (I am serious) and see if it goes away, if not, then get another tripod. Seriously it looks fine and nice and light and the above are a couple of things you can do to make it work better.
Good luck

ps have you got your D70 yet?
Glen

Postby Miliux on Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:38 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:My question is what is it made out of?

It is made out of aluminium
Miliux

Return to General Discussion