Lens calibration and tuning

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Lens calibration and tuning

Postby chrisk on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:31 pm

my sigma 150mm seems to have developed a bit of a focus issue today. this may or not be the result of several minor spills and a relatively big one today. :oops:

anyway...clumsiness aside, how do i check a lens for focussing ? is there some chart i can use and maybe test to see if i can fine tune it on the d300 ? if all else fails, where can i get it calibrated or tunes or whatever you call it ? any recommendations and how much is it likely to cost ?
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Re: Lens calibration and tuning

Postby ewm3 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:09 pm

I would like to know too!
Eric in Adelaide

Nikon gear but looking for talent...
ewm3

Postby Glen on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:11 pm

http://focustestchart.com/chart.html

Rooz this chart and directions were all the rage when we all thought our D70 were backfocussing :D
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby ATJ on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:57 pm

I like the idea someone else posted recently. Rather than using a focusing chart on a 45º angle, they set up the camera on a focusing rail and shot something at 90º to the lens. They first shot it with AF and then with AF off, moved the camera backwards and/or forwards to see if focus improved or not. This seemed a better way to judge focus.

I'll see if I can find the thread.
ATJ

Postby Yi-P on Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:03 pm

My way is to put couple of Lego blocks, or anything that have identical sizes, along a ruler. Separate them at an angle with equal spacing, focus on the middle one and see how far are you off to the front/back of it. Making sure camera is level with the objects.
Yi-P

Postby ATJ on Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:31 pm

ATJ

Postby Aszental on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:46 pm

those charts can be mislleading if u dont set em up 100%, best is to just shoot normally and see if there are any glaring problems
Aszental

Postby chrisk on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:07 pm

thanks for the tips. i dont have the patience or attention to detail to do those chart tests. i know its misfocussing cos i can clearly see it taking a normal image. the focus point has shifted to the left of the centre. i was thinking of calibrating it with the d300 but the process is pretty difficult to follow and i think its just for back/ forward focussing.

what i'm after is actualy somewhere to take it to get it adjusted/ realigned or whatever it is that you call it.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby FranCruz on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:07 am

Glen wrote:http://focustestchart.com/chart.html

Rooz this chart and directions were all the rage when we all thought our D70 were backfocussing :D
Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch

Like the idea someone else published lately. Rather than using a concentrating graph on a 45º position, they set up the photographic camera on a concentrating railway and taken something at 90º to the contacts.
FranCruz

Return to General Discussion