Opinions please?

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Opinions please?

Postby Geoff on Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:03 pm

Would love your honest opinions...

http://www.pbase.com/image/32515771.jpg

Thanks,

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Raydar on Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:38 pm

I will try to answer your “Q” after you tell us what you were trying to achieve with your image.
Were you trying for the rain band in the distance or the suburban Seen in the for ground :?

Cheers
Ray :lol:
Raydar

Postby Glen on Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:45 pm

Geoff, the roof looks in good nick! No seriously I remember you were talking about sunsets and if that is what you were trying to highlight I would suggest bigger zoom to cut out units and roof, move your position to cut out units and roof. I don't think the shot does the sunset justice if that is what you were trying to achieve.

Feel free to totally dismiss my ramblings as I am very much an amateur.

Glen
Glen

Rain band

Postby Geoff on Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:36 pm

Thanks guys..as yet I don't have enough money for a lens to get that much zoomage in. I was indeed trying to get the rain band in this image...i'm loving the experimental elements :).

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Raydar on Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:14 pm

Arrrrrr another weather freak :D

I thought you mite have been going for that, not much of it around atm.
A bigger zoom or petrol in the car would have worked in you favor mate.
Keep practicing, come summer that rain band could be a great gust front on an approaching storm :shock:

Cheers
Ray :lol:
Raydar

Postby Glen on Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:16 pm

Geoff, I love the dark and moody skies when a storm comes in too. Like you I have ended up taking a photo from the front lawn or porch, telling myself that it's because I don't want to get the precious camera wet (and there is probably a big dose of me being a wimp). Can't wait to see your future shots, you seem to have a reasonable position to observe from. I think Raydar suggestion is a good one, jump in the car to catch something like that.

Good luck
Glen

Thanks Glen

Postby Geoff on Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:04 pm

Yes,
I am very lucky where I rent at the moment so am taking full advantage of it. I'm reallyl looking forward to the meet on the 22nd! Have a good week end everyone!

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Glen on Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:14 pm

Geoff, just wanted to say really liked your lily shot and curl curl shot on your website.
Glen

Postby Onyx on Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:41 pm

What was your focus point? Experiment with hyperfocal distances. It seems the whole image could do with a bit of USM as it appears somewhat soft (taking into account it's been resized from camera image).
Onyx

Curly Photo

Postby Geoff on Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:00 am

Hi Onyx and Glen
For the Curly photo I think my focus point was the actual surf. What is USM? Sorry..on a massive learning curve. Thanks for your comments!

Geoff.
Geoff

Re: Curly Photo

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:03 pm

Geoff wrote:Hi Onyx and Glen
For the Curly photo I think my focus point was the actual surf. What is USM? Sorry..on a massive learning curve. Thanks for your comments!

Geoff.

Geoff, In Canonspeak, USM means UltraSonic Motor. You'll see it on their lenses, it's the equivalent of Nikon's VR.

But we're not speaking Canon, are we? :)

Unsharp Mask; it's a Photoshop term, if I'm not mistaken. You use it to make your images sharper. Go figure.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:21 pm

What Gary said - unsharp mask. Basically brings out the edge details so your images are perceived to be sharper. This is a whole black art field altogether, what values and how much depends on what image size and effect you're after. But as a guide, I use 170/0.6/1 for full sized images, 200+/0.3/1 for web sized stuff (see my gallery link in sig).

NB: I refuse to recognise Canonese. A Silent Wave Motor is not an Ultrasonic Motor, Vibration Reduction is also not Image Stabilisation or Anti-shake. :D
Onyx

Return to General Discussion