From DPReview's Photokina report

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

From DPReview's Photokina report

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:20 am

where, on the Nikon stand, they have a prototype Coolpix with integrated WiFi: "Nikon sources suggested we can expect to see a Coolpix with built-in wifi being announced within 'months rather than years'."

This is the one feature I want on the D70!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: From DPReview's Photokina report

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:27 am

gstark wrote:where, on the Nikon stand, they have a prototype Coolpix with integrated WiFi: "Nikon sources suggested we can expect to see a Coolpix with built-in wifi being announced within 'months rather than years'."

This is the one feature I want on the D70!

This feature will impressed lot of P&S shooters.

The b wifi is not very good on the D2h, tried it on my D2h and dropped it out!!! Very hard to set it up and slow.
The new g version with the D2x is more better, I think! I'll lock into UNWIRE if this feature works well on the future D2x.
One of my dream when airborne!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby MHD on Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:16 am

Looks like no announcement of d90/d50...
MHD

Postby Greg B on Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:32 am

Good.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:32 am

MHD wrote:Looks like no announcement of d90/d50...

Perhaps will be early of 05.

You've just got the D70, it's still brand new!
You're already have a bug in your blood! I've been down that road!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby MHD on Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:54 am

:)
no I'm happy there is no announcement... no price drop... I feel better about buying the D70...

Hmmm... Mamiya 22mp Medium format DSLR and digital back... 36x48mm sensor :shock: :shock:

that will sell for a few biccies!
MHD

Postby Greg B on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:05 am

Although I have no intention of ....

a. selling my 6 week old D70, or
b. upgrading to a successor to the D70, or any other camera that will cost me more money and test my wife's considerable patience,

I want the D70 to be the latest "low priced" Nikon DSLR for as long as possible for my own emotional peace of mind.

I think it was only six months after I bought the Canon G3 (March 2003)that the G5 came out, and since then there has been a G6 :shock:

Plus, I don't want to hear about anybody buying D70s for really good prices. Thanks. :wink:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:25 am

MHD wrote:Looks like no announcement of d90/d50...

And I wouldn't be expecting one either, at this time.

I would guess a D100 upgrade/replacement at PMA in February, maybe using the new sensor from the D2x.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:25 am

MHD wrote::)
no I'm happy there is no announcement... no price drop... I feel better about buying the D70...

Hmmm... Mamiya 22mp Medium format DSLR and digital back... 36x48mm sensor :shock: :shock:

that will sell for a few biccies!

Look into its picture on the web this morning, and impressed me alot !!!US$10K is the estimate and + glass + Flash. My wife looked at me strangely when I brought that link up with the photos of the Mamiya 22mp.

Nah!!!I'm happy with Nikon!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:30 am

My first 645 experience was with a Mamiya, and it was very disappointing. Within three months of purchase it needed to go back to the workshop for warranty repairs - the shutter was not operating correctly - closing too early on flash synced images - and when the problem continued after two trips, I decided that enough was enough. Bought an ETRs and never looked back.

I'd still be interested to have a play with this baby though, although the sensor size is somewhat reduced from the normal 645 format.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:33 am

Hey Greg, I bought my D70 with 18-70 kit lens for $xxxx :D

Sorry just teasin'.

I think Nikon is content with having released the long awaited flagship, and will probably leave the S3 from Fuji to fill in as the mid-range model. After all, a "competitor" using the F mount will boost sales of Nikkor lenses and other accessories - so why try to compete when you're already winning?

I foresee the Coolpix range will be class leaders and have a high desireability among photographers in the know. The VR in the 8800, the technological breakthrough freshnel lens in the teleconverter for the 8400 (ala Canon's "diffractive optics"), and now wifi in the consumer range. Have you seen Canon's wifi solution for their EOS 1 series DSLR? Such a bulky add-on; the total opposite of integrated and ergonomic.
Onyx

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:39 am

Onyx wrote:I foresee the Coolpix range will be class leaders and have a high desireability among photographers in the know. The VR in the 8800, the technological breakthrough freshnel lens in the teleconverter for the 8400 (ala Canon's "diffractive optics"), and now wifi in the consumer range. Have you seen Canon's wifi solution for their EOS 1 series DSLR? Such a bulky add-on; the total opposite of integrated and ergonomic.

I'm really curious about this; the DPReview site mentions a combined WiFi/Flash memory CF card, but obviously the camera's firmware would need to be tweaked to enable it to talk to the WiFi hardware.

Theoretically, and looking at the developments with the CF now having some configurable areas of memory available, could one possibly foresee that some of the firmware - like WiFi extensibility - residing on the CF card? Would it need much more than smething like an equivalent of a driver being loaded, and then an application to handle the transfer?

Tha's not really all tha different to the way a PC loads different software, after all, is it?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:47 am

gstark wrote:I'm really curious about this; the DPReview site mentions a combined WiFi/Flash memory CF card, but obviously the camera's firmware would need to be tweaked to enable it to talk to the WiFi hardware.

Theoretically, and looking at the developments with the CF now having some configurable areas of memory available, could one possibly foresee that some of the firmware - like WiFi extensibility - residing on the CF card? Would it need much more than smething like an equivalent of a driver being loaded, and then an application to handle the transfer?

Tha's not really all tha different to the way a PC loads different software, after all, is it?

That what I'm thinking too, technologies can develop that feature into the CF card like two partitions, one for storage and waiting for transferring the photos to the wifi section, it's possible!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:11 am

Birddog114 wrote:That what I'm thinking too, technologies can develop that feature into the CF card like two partitions, one for storage and waiting for transferring the photos to the wifi section, it's possible!!

Here's the rub: on cameras like the 300D, 10D and probably the 20D, this would be really simple (in theory) to implement, as the underlying OS on those cameras is really just something like a version of DOS, I believe.

Pointing that OS to a new driver and logical drive at bootup shouldn't be all that tough to do, but you would need hooks in order to permit device configuration to be carried out.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:14 am

Birddog114 wrote:Look into its picture on the web this morning, and impressed me alot !!!US$10K is the estimate and + glass + Flash. My wife looked at me strangely when I brought that link up with the photos of the Mamiya 22mp.

I am not surprised your wife gave you a look Birdie, you are probably fortunate she didn't give a smack in the back of the head!
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:31 am

Greg B wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:Look into its picture on the web this morning, and impressed me alot !!!US$10K is the estimate and + glass + Flash. My wife looked at me strangely when I brought that link up with the photos of the Mamiya 22mp.

I am not surprised your wife gave you a look Birdie, you are probably fortunate she didn't give a smack in the back of the head!

She was beside me when I posted early. That why I typed in the last sentence and she walked away smiling!!!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:20 pm

Very smooth. Why spoil the surprise she will get when you come home with $25k worth of new gear. :wink:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Return to General Discussion