Advice from my learned friends

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Advice from my learned friends

Postby ozdragon31 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:23 am

Hi All

I currently shoot with a Nikon D90 and the kit lenses. I have a big birthday coming up and the family want to buy me some lenses. Now here is the problem. I have the D90 for now but down the track I may switch to an FX camera. So do I purchase DX or FX lenses.

Also what should I buy. I am going to America and Canada next year and hope to shoot eagles, wildlife and landscapes. Any suggestion on what lenses to buy.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Peter
ozdragon31

Re: Advice from my learned friends

Postby Raskill on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:52 am

Well, I would go lenses that suit the FX sensor.

They will still work with the cropped sensor, but the reverse isn't true. It is a major PITA having to think about what lens you need on which camera body, so make it easy on yourself from the start.

Lens wise for the eagle and stuff, depending on your budget, some that is a long zoom would be good (a long prime is the best option, but you'll pay through the nose). There was a review done recently on this site for the sigma 80-400 or similar. That might not be a bad starting point, the Nikon version is also a good option and is stabilised. If you have lots of dollars, the Nikon 200-400 would be great, matched with a 70-200, you have it all covered.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Re: Advice from my learned friends

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:53 am

I would suggest FX lenses for medium and long. They will always work on both, and on DX you are working with the centre (best!) part of the image. On the DX body, you will also get bonus length. They cost more though, so it will depend on your budget. They also tend to be bigger and heavier as they are usually "pro" quality.

As for lenses, wildlife & birds need fast long lenses. Your DX camera will help here as you get bonus reach. Get the longest and fastest you can afford. There was a recent bird thread here where the photographer mentioned he was shooting at 800mm & that still wasn't long enough for what he was trying to do.

Landscape depends on your preference. Ultrawide is common. I use a Sigma 10-20. The Tokina 11-16 is also popular. At this end, your DX body will fight against you, so get a DX lens for your wide end. You can also shoot longer, and stitch your photos together into a Panorama, but this needs practice. My first few hundred attempts at this failed dismally. BTW, if you put your location into your profile, as required by forum rules, you may well get offers of hands on help. I know in Adelaide, there is a very vigorous group of wild life shooters. They recently went to a wildlife sanctuary, called Gluepot for some reason, for a group shoot. The 'tog I alluded to above was part of this group.

EDIT:
Oh and get a **GOOD** tripod. Manfrotto or Benro should be the minimum. I am off to Antarctica next year, an have just ordered a Gitzo 3541LS to use on the trip.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Return to General Discussion