Disney Thinks Photographers Are Terrorists

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Disney Thinks Photographers Are Terrorists

Postby biggerry on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:27 am

I think everyday someone comes out with another story about being harassed by security or the like - makes for good entertainment at the very least and gives photographers something to put on their blogs ;)

here for the full article

http://williambeem.com/disney-thinks-photographers-are-terrorists/

I explained to Don that I’d been approached three times previously. He said that he knew. All of those guards worked for him and they had apprised him of their discussions with me. I asked Don why he approached me and he said that there were complaints about me. He never said what complaints he’d received, though, and never brought up complaints again. I struggled to think what I could’ve done to cause complaints. My photos were of buildings, not people. I didn’t ask anyone to move or change a thing. In situations like that, you just sit and wait for the best moment to take your photos. After all, everyone else has just as much right to be where they want. One mid-Eastern family asked me to take their picture and I obliged. I kept my tripod near walls or other structures that weren’t in the path of pedestrian traffic. Basically, I can’t fathom what complaint he may have received.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: Disney Thinks Photographers Are Terrorists

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:25 am

The example provided, given from the photographer's point of view only, suggests one should use their phone or other recording device to discretely record the conversation. At least then, facts cannot be disputed.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby photohiker on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:51 am

Did you look at the date? That was April 2010!

We all know Security guards are basically insecure mindless mechatrons under the influence of the superiority bolstering effects of a private police uniform. I've had plenty of run ins with them on private and public property. Being polite and friendly is the best defence, but it will only help with the best of them.

Its annoying when they turn up and wreck your plans, but I have found the best approach is to politely stick up for your rights and if they don't accept and retire, you might as well pack up and go someplace else.
photohiker

Postby biggerry on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:08 am

photohiker wrote:Did you look at the date? That was April 2010!

yep :wink: gee 2010 is not that long ago :violin:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Return to General Discussion