Seascape Safety

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Seascape Safety

Postby biggerry on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:34 pm

I think a timely reminder is in order given the recent death of a rock fisherman (RIP) over the weekend at Little Bay, a place where plenty of us have been.

Remember, when you out there doing sunrise/sunsets near the water, no ones gonna hold your hand and there are typically no safety measures in place (fences etc) so always prepare your self for that moment (which hopefully may never happen) where you end up in the drink. I would also not assume since your a good swimmer that you will be OK, even a small wave can swept you off ya feet and you can end up conking ya head and all that swimming practice is useless.

A couple of points that maybe of use

1) Do tell somewhere your going, but really if the shit hits the fan by the time they come to get you it will be probably too late, however for longer trips etc this is essential and a simple step to help yourself in case of problems (ie busted ankle and can't walk out).

2) think about what you wear, ya all might laugh at my shorts all year round, but i would rather be swimming in those then jeans for eg. Proper shoes (the only time I have fell on my arse was when i was wearing thongs.) is probably the other key item.

3) Think about what your doing when your there, whats your escape plan? are you wearing your camera bag? (i reckon thats a poor idea, a good dead weight if you end up in the drink), are you watching teh waves? ie never turn you back on teh ocean. Watch for teh big set of waves, but never assume you can predict the wave sets.

4) don't be afraid to step back, shit man its only a photo, no ones gonna laugh at you if you step back, better than being swept off.

oh yeah, if you do need to call for help, don't assume they will get there in time and also make sure you get both police and ambos

check out the safe fishing webbie, it has some good info

http://www.safefishing.com.au/index.html

so.. anyone up for a sunrise on saturday?

On a side note I dunno why the ambulance service helio could not lift the guy out but required the polair helio to come and do it afterwards?
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: Seascape Safety

Postby ATJ on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:38 pm

As you guys do those sunrise sessions quite regularly, it might be a good idea to invest in life jackets or at very least fluoro vests.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:42 pm

Gerry,

An important post; thanks.

Andrew: great addition to the post.

I think that also, where possible, always have somebody else there with you. Extra pairs of eyes are always useful.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:49 pm

biggerry wrote:I would also not assume since your a good swimmer that you will be OK, even a small wave can swept you off ya feet and you can end up conking ya head and all that swimming practice is useless.

I think this point bears repeating - where you are likely to be taking your photos won't be near nice, clear water. There is obviously lots of rocks and other stuff in which your leg or a piece of clothing can get caught. Your camera bag get snagged on something keeping you submerged.

There was the case recently of the bride who drowned during the 'trash the dress' business.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby aim54x on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:31 pm

It is a timely reminder for all of us involved with these shenanigans. I can think of plenty of times where I have been out with you guys and thought nothing more about where and what we were doing. Those rock fishermen are only as crazy as us.....
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Matt. K on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:30 pm

For you guys who keep doing that sunrise ocean thing....put a couple of plastic garbage bags into your camera bag. If you get washed into the drink then you can blow them up, tie a knot in them, and they'll keep you afloat. seriously. Soldiers get taught how to take their trousers off in the water...tie a knot in each leg and trap some air in them for use as a flotation device. It works! Oh...and don't forget your storm whistles. By the way Gerry...I think even a camera bag will give you some flotation for awhile....the shoulder type more than the backpack type. it can be made to displace water like a plastic bucket. And finally...never go alone, and take the little phone. :cheers:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Seascape Safety

Postby chrisk on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:13 pm

My lunatic rock fishing mates never go on the rocks without their spikes. I've worn them a few times, they are amazing. You'd need to be hit by a bloody big wave to lose your footing. Not sure if you seascapes have noticed the rings in the rocks, the boys have drilled holes in there and epoxied the eye screws and in big surf they tie themselves to the rocks.

They are another breed these blokes.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby aim54x on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Rooz wrote:My lunatic rock fishing mates never go on the rocks without their spikes. I've worn them a few times, they are amazing. You'd need to be hit by a bloody big wave to lose your footing. Not sure if you seascapes have noticed the rings in the rocks, the boys have drilled holes in there and epoxied the eye screws and in big surf they tie themselves to the rocks.

They are another breed these blokes.

I have wondered what those eye screws were!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to General Discussion