Canon outsells nikon: WTF?

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby surenj on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:41 pm

I am somewhat surprised by this statistic because Canon has come out with some deliberately crippled low end cameras of late (60D, 6D etc), with bad DR and high low ISO (shadow) noise. I guess there has been some cool things as well; 650D touch screen that works!, 6D WIFI,GPS and without doubt 5d3, 1Dx, 1DC(which is nothing short of holy moly!).

Anyways take this with a grain of gun powder because this is from a Canon site.

Source: http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/12/canon-sells-more-dslrs-than-anyone/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+canonrumors%2Frss+(Canon+Rumors)

www.canonrumors.com wrote:For all the flack Canon gets from us passionate pundits, they continue to sell more DSLR cameras than anyone else.

Interchangeable Lens Camera Marketshare for 2012 (Japan)

Canon 28.6%
Nikon 25%
Olympus 14.3%
Sony 13.3%
Panasonic 11.3%
An interesting note about Canon, if you remove the lowend of the DSLR market (Rebels, D3xxx/D5xxx), Canon’s marketshare increases. I imagine the 5D Mark III plays a big part in that, as well as the EOS-1D X.

Canon’s performance in the mirrorless segment cannot be properly measured until the 2013 numbers come in. For 2012, they sat at 2.1% marketshare.
Last edited by surenj on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surenj

Re: Canon outsells nikon: WTF?

Postby surenj on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:42 pm

Could one assume that Sony + Olympus is now ahead of nikon?
surenj

Postby Wink on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:54 pm

I don't think Joe and Jane Public know what high ISO noise and DR is let alone care about it.

I think Canon is a better known brand than Nikon is public circles.

Nikon (Sony) may have a better sensor in the current generation of cameras, but I can't say I've ever found my Canon bodies to be lacking. I'm quite happy with my 7D and more so with my 5D3.

If I was only taking up photography now I'd have a serious look at Nikon. I didn't when I bought my first camera in late 2009 because all my friends were using Canon, so I went with what they had.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby Remorhaz on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm pretty sure Canon has been #1 and Nikon #2 (on sales figures) for some time. I expect the vast majority of people buy what they know, what they're used to, what their friends have or even just what's on sale at the time. I know that most people who ask me what camera to buy aren't asking anywhere near the questions I might expect and the specs I might love are essentially meaningless to them and in fact would likely never come into play anyway based on the way they'll use the camera and the output.
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:27 pm

Remorhaz wrote:I know that most people who ask me what camera to buy aren't asking anywhere near the questions I might expect

And the dickheads at Hardly Normal et al wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how to answer them anyway.

From a consumer camera PoV, this is not surprising, and really, the differences between them - just a couple of percent - is probably meaningless.

surenj wrote:Could one assume that Sony + Olympus is now ahead of nikon?

Perhaps, and also just a bit of bum-fluff behind Canon. But combining their numbers offers ... what ? .... to the discussion? Sony glass doesn't fit Oly; Oly glass doesn't fit Sony, and neither of them fit Canon or Nikon. :)

What would be interesting would be to see some market breakdowns: Japan might, for instance, see Nikon way ahead in the MILCs (given that Canon have only just entered this market with something that seems to be truly unremarkable) but to counter that, Canon's true market presence in the prosumer world would be very well represented.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion