MAGNUM 'On Set' exhibition

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby Matt. K on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:18 pm

The above exhibition is now finished and was a collection of images made on the set of some very big Hollywood productions. They were taken by members of the MAGNUM picture agency, most of whom are quite famous. The movies included Planet of the Apes...The Alamo...Cat on a hot tin roof, and a few others. Firstly, I gotta say that if you are privileged enough to get onto the set of one of these big productions then you ain't gonna have a hard time getting good pics. The sets are superbly lit, the actors are ruggedly good looking, actresses sexy and photogenic, (think Munro and Taylor etc), and the props are extraordinary. So, I was not that impressed with the images overall because, damn it, how could you fail? But the work of one of the photographers caught my eye...he is the photographer I most respect and probably the only one worthy to be called a genius. W. Eugene Smith. In my eyes the worlds best ever photographer. The images were of Charlie Chaplin on set and they had a quality that lifted them above all others. The print quality was just perfect. It did not get in the way of the picture but gave it a quality that held me glued to the spot for a very long moment. This was the first time I had seen a genuine Smith print and I was not disappointed. Most of the images were taken in low light and I was quite surprised to see how soft the focus was on many of the images. Something we don't see anymore in the digital age....yet it's a pity because the softness adds a charm to the works that do them no harm. I always walk away inspired by exhibitions like this and I'm thinking I need to slow down, take my time, do some projects and use the light. And that's something I going to do...after I've sat down with Gary Stark to watch the re-runs of the 'VOICE'. :lol: :lol:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: MAGNUM 'On Set' exhibition

Postby gstark on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:22 am

Hey Matt,

Matt. K wrote:...after I've sat down with Gary Stark to watch the re-runs of the 'VOICE'. :lol: :lol:

How about we skip that bit, and head straight for the cameras?

I'm trying to find some time in July for another meet ...
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:54 pm

That would be great Gary. Perhaps a Blues Point twilight meet with pizza and wine...or some other vantage spot of the harbour?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Whether it suits the July meet you may have in mind and notwithstanding that it has been about 2 months since I mentioned it, but I would like to organize the coffee meet. It can't be the weekend of the 21st of July, but perhaps the 28th, if it suits enough prow.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Matt. K on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:28 pm

Coffee is always wonderful...with a splash of rum. We could do both?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:28 pm

For the coffee meet, I will suggest the first weekend of August - flexible for either day as it may suit participants. Let me know levels of interest.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Matt. K on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:13 pm

In anticipation. :cheers:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:23 pm

This needs a bump.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:21 pm

I shall start a new thread for the coffee meet to gauge interest.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Return to General Discussion