Nikon D600+16-35/4 VS Rock... Fight!!!

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Nikon D600+16-35/4 VS Rock... Fight!!!

Postby Remorhaz on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Sadly Rock wins :( - D600 definitely looses...

I'm holidaying with my family in Bali Indonesia as I write this. We are about half way through our stay and of course with a country as beautiful as this I definitely wanted to photograph our trip so I brought my gear - my Nikon D600, a selection of lenses, tripod, filters and other gear.

I'd arranged with my family and booked two dedicated days in the middle of our trip with a private photography guide to pick me up at ungodly hours and take me out shooting photographically inspired locations of my choice at the best times (e.g. sunrises at Maynar beach & Ulan Danu Temple, sunsets at Tanah Lot, Batubolong & Uluwatu Temple and various other locations inbetween like the famous rice terraces of Tegallalang and Jatiluwih).

My day had come and I was picked up just before 4:30AM for my first morning out to shoot sunrise at Maynar - it was raining like crazy on the drive out - it certainly wasn't looking good - perhaps foreboding what was to come. However magically the rain had completely stopped by the time we'd arrived and we could see some stars towards the east and it appeared the clouds and storm was moving over and behind us.

The shoot went well and I'm hopeful for some nice images from the morning however after the sun had risen and I was moving about for some last shots I slipped and fell backwards. I expect it was either me or the camera which was about to get hurt and I guess instinct took over and my arms flew back to break my fall. Unfortunately the D600 with the attached 16-35 lens with my usual Lee kit + Heliopan CPL attached at the front along with my wireless remote trigger in the hotshoe all on my tripod which was thankfully packed up short crashed onto the rocks.

The lens tore right off the body of the camera taking the whole lens mount and some of the camera internals with it, the wireless trigger snapped out of the hotshoe and amazingly there is just a corner chip in the Lee ND grad. I'm not sure how none of the glass looks smashed - in fact the lens and 105mm CPL "look" ok (I can't test it here) - of course the lens still has the camera body mount still firmly attached to it and I can't seem to remove it. The inside of the D600 is decidedly unhappy with bits and electronics dangling - some part of the mirror mechanism is dangling but the prism and mirror itself "look" wholeish.

So unfortunately the photographic portion of my time in Bali has come to an ignominious end - I am however quite hopeful that I have a number of great images from the first half of our trip here and will process and post over the coming days and weeks...

D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Re: Nikon D600+16-35/4 VS Rock... Fight!!!

Postby Glen on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:16 pm

You have my condolences, not so much for the financial pain but the nuisance of not having a camera with the two days already prearranged.

Hard to guess if it is worth repairing or buying a new unit with D600 sub $2k. Good luck
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby chrisk on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:13 pm

I feel really bad for you man. I know how much you're going to miss that camera while its MIA.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby gstark on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Ouch.

But you're ok.

So go and enjoy the rest of your stay.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:05 pm

That may well be repairable, get it to a tech when you get back to Sydney. No back up camera. Hope you manage to get enjoy the rest of the trip.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Mj on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:24 pm

What a pain... forget photography for a few weeks and just enjoy the island... get up into the highland and get off the beaten track a little. But do take a few happy snaps with you phone :)
Photography is not a crime, but perhaps my abuse of artistic license is?
Mj

Postby Remorhaz on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:12 am

Glen wrote:the nuisance of not having a camera with the two days already prearranged

Rooz wrote:I feel really bad for you man. I know how much you're going to miss that camera while its MIA.

I know - but as they say such is life - I thought I'd feel more gutted actually but I'm not really thinking about it so must be all good :)
Chris - BTW - just so you know your lens was safely tucked away in the camera bag in the car at the time so it's all good :)

gstark wrote:Ouch. But you're ok. So go and enjoy the rest of your stay.

Yep - pretty much - I think I strained something reaching back in the fall but nothings broken so I expect I'll be 100% fit in days

aim54x wrote:That may well be repairable, get it to a tech when you get back to Sydney. No back up camera. Hope you manage to get enjoy the rest of the trip.

I'll see what happens with the travel insurance - if they cover the lot I'll just buy a new one - I think the mount area got pretty banged up and badness happened on the inside as well

Mj wrote:What a pain... forget photography for a few weeks and just enjoy the island... get up into the highland and get off the beaten track a little. But do take a few happy snaps with you phone

I used my daughters camera (the first pen) today for the happy snaps so I'll see what I can do with that
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Return to General Discussion