Sydney Life Photo competition

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sydney Life Photo competition

Postby Matt. K on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:13 pm

The above exhibition/competition is now hanging in Hyde Park. Unfortunately, they have changed the venue and instead of hanging the images in the main concourse they have strung them in the walkway from the railway station. This has had three negative consequences. 1. The images are hung much closer together and much lower. This means that they can't be observed in isolation and given the attention they deserve. 2. There is more foot traffic and because the pathway is quite narrow it is difficult to appreciate the images without having people standing or walking in your way. 3. The images appear to have been printed a little smaller, though I can't be sure of this.
The exhibition itself, in my opinion, is not up to the standard of previous years though this might be a result of the changes made listed above. Considering they received 1200 entries I would have expected imagery with more impact/quality/excellence or whatever it is that makes images exciting. Having said that....go and check it out for yourselves and vote for a peoples choice winner.

I am perplexed as to how some of the images related to the theme of the competition, but then a little controversy in an art exhibition is like the dab of mustard on a ham sandwich.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: Sydney Life Photo competition

Postby aim54x on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:18 pm

I will attempt to wonder past at some point
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Remorhaz on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:41 pm

I had a quick glance the other day and a better look at lunchtime today

Now it's just my humble opinion but I had trouble finding any images which I thought had any merit at all - there was maybe 1 or 2 out of the twenty or so images and even they wouldn't have made it to 1 star in my LR catalog. Perhaps the judges feel compelled to choose "average" images to make the general public feel more comfortable?
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby stubbsy on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Rodney - I'm wwith you - overall the images this year are more ordinary than in the past and this is not helped by the new exhibition location
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Return to General Discussion