Unable to change Adobe password

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Unable to change Adobe password

Postby photohiker on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:31 pm

As most of us probably know by now Adobe suffered a security breach recently. As an Adobe customer, I received an email requesting me to change my password by going to the Adobe Login and resetting my password, which would initiate an email back to me with a password reset token which I could use to reset and change my password.

Checking the source of the email and manually browsing to adobe.com confirmed that the initial email was legit, so I followed the instructions and reset my password. Only problem is, the resulting email containing the token never arrived. I figured the Adobe servers were overloaded, so left it for a day or so. Still no email. I reset it again, and waited. NO EMAIL! What the...

I got onto my host's email system and checked the logs. Our host checks and verifies sender domains and rejects those that do not verify. This eliminates a vast quantity of spam, and it is a common tactic in the arms war on spam.

So, the info from the logs:

The original email was sent from [yadayada]@bounce.mail.adobesystems.com and the sender host was mta8.mail.adobesystems.com - this was verified and processed for delivery into my inbox.

The password token reset emails came from either @adobe.com or @acrobat.com yet the sender host was exprod6og119.obsmtp.com. The host mail system reports "Sender verify failed" and the incoming mail was rejected.

It's possible that this direction of email via obsmtp.com is a result of the security breach, in which case there will be further dramas. Perhaps our host has some misconfiguration also, but I suspect that the obsmtp service is legit yet Adobe have not thought through the impact of sending a critical password token via a third party host.

Fail.
photohiker

Re: Unable to change Adobe password

Postby photohiker on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:53 pm

I sent a copy of the above post to abuse@adobe.com just in case the problems are associated with the security breach.

The email bounced:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

abuse@namailhost.corp.adobe.com
The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.
Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: corp.adobe.com

abuse@namailhost.corp.adobe.com
#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found ##

The abuse email address is published on the Adobe website: http://www.adobe.com/support/security/alertus.html

Hopeless! :surrender:
photohiker

Postby gstark on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Try tweeting a message to ‏@AdobeCare. They've contacted me about an unrelated matter, referring however to the security breach. Idiots!

But there's also a live chat facility; see http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/poli ... alert.html
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby photohiker on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks Gary.

Wasted half an hour on the live chat chatting to some person who did not seem to read and / or understand what I had written. He has apparently filled out a 'form' and sent it to support. No case ID, no ref, etc. Appears useless, we'll see.

If nothing comes of it, will try twitter.
photohiker

Postby photohiker on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:15 am

And finally had a response. all fixed. :up:
photohiker

Return to General Discussion