Alas poor Yorrick, I knew him well

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:52 am

Yorrick being my old (6 years or so) Lowepro CompuDayTrekker camera bag.

And here's the problem: I cannot seem to find a replacement for it. That sucks ...

The old bag died because of user error - I crushed one of the backpack clips in the boot latch of the car.

Metal bootlatch: 1 plastic clips: 0

So, I've been looking now for several months, and cannot find anything with similar functionality. I have a new Lowepro Transit Backpack 350 AW. It's a good bag, but doesn't have the same functionality as the old one. While it'll hold bigger camera bodies (not really important for me) it has less ancillary storage areas, which are of greater importance.

Basically, I want one that'll carry a camera with a couple of lenses, plus a laptop, plus it has room for one's passport and some clothes and other essentials when flying. The balance between those requirements is important, and the transit is too heavily weighted towards carrying the cameras.

As are pretty much all of the other bags currently on the market.

Suggestions, please?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Alas poor Yorrick, I knew him well

Postby aim54x on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:25 pm

I have used the Lowepro Fastpack 350 for many years now (and the Fastpack 250 before that), they do have a bit more camera room than the CompuDaypack (I assume this is the bag that you are talking about)that you had.

Also have at look at the Kata DL-466 and DL-467 they are of similar design as well.

Hope this helps.

If you are reffering to the Lowepro CompuTrekker, the replacement mine is the ProRunner (have a look at the ProRunner 350AW)
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Matt. K on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:44 pm

I'm quite partial to my KATA DR-467-DL. It's a slim bag, easily carried when not stuffed full, but capable of carrying quite a load if required. I got mine from digital..er...forgot the name but where Cameron now works, for under $100. I'm very satisfied with it. It has a special laptop compartment.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby aim54x on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:48 am

Matt. K wrote:I'm quite partial to my KATA DR-467-DL. It's a slim bag, easily carried when not stuffed full, but capable of carrying quite a load if required. I got mine from digital..er...forgot the name but where Cameron now works, for under $100. I'm very satisfied with it. It has a special laptop compartment.

Matt, I am now at DigiDirect.....I have been partial to that line of bags as well.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby gstark on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:19 am

The Kata website is in no way helpful here.

It shows me how two of the compartments might stow gear, but there are four compartments.

It tells me that I can use the bottom compartment for either cameras, or other stuff. Like, duh! That's true of any camera bag with removable dividers.

Marketing idiots keep on getting more and more stupid, it seems.

Cameron, where might I be able to see one?
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby photohiker on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:55 am

gstark wrote:I crushed one of the backpack clips in the boot latch of the car.

Metal bootlatch: 1 plastic clips: 0

Find a repairer. Those clips will be generic.

If normal luggage repairers are not up to the task, look for outdoor gear repairers like http://www.remoterepairs.com.au/
photohiker

Postby aim54x on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:40 am

gstark wrote:Cameron, where might I be able to see one?

I would try Paxton's in the city, and maybe Ted's...Kata seems to be falling out of favour with retailers at the moment
Cameron
aim54x

Postby gstark on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:15 am

Paxton's? Don't they exist only for comedy relief? Or is that George's? :)

In all seriousness, getting into the city is a tad more inconvenient for me these days, where those days are spent in the realm of Homebush West.

I'm beginning to think that trying to get the old one repaired may be the way to go.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:18 pm

gstark wrote:Paxton's? Don't they exist only for comedy relief? Or is that George's? :)

In all seriousness, getting into the city is a tad more inconvenient for me these days, where those days are spent in the realm of Homebush West.

I'm beginning to think that trying to get the old one repaired may be the way to go.

I don't think you should talk to them, but if you want to view a sample of the bag they are probably the best options. As for out Homebush West way...I cant think of anyone. What about Bondi Junction? There is a DigiDirect store and a Paxton's there. If all the stores are only good for comedic relief maybe you should just order one online without viewing it first....I am sure the stores would not miss another tyre kicker
Cameron
aim54x

Postby chrisk on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:40 pm

aim54x wrote:
Matt. K wrote:I'm quite partial to my KATA DR-467-DL. It's a slim bag, easily carried when not stuffed full, but capable of carrying quite a load if required. I got mine from digital..er...forgot the name but where Cameron now works, for under $100. I'm very satisfied with it. It has a special laptop compartment.

Matt, I am now at DigiDirect.....I have been partial to that line of bags as well.

In the city ? Wow. I was there today asking about an em1. lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby aim54x on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Rooz wrote:In the city ? Wow. I was there today asking about an em1. lol

In the city...on a Sunday
Cameron
aim54x

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:46 am

Well, that was a total waste of time.

Friday: OfficeJerks at Five Dock: Nothing suitable.

Saturday afternoon, Westfield Bondi Junction (God, I hate that place) ...

Paxtons - three computer sized Kata bags, lots of Lowpro, nothing suitable.

DigiDirect: Lots of Lowepro, Kata nowhere to be seen, some Sony and Nikon bags .... nothing suitable.

JB HiFi. Totally underwhelming non-selection of Lowepro.

Myers: Even less whelming than JB.

Hardly Normal: Slightly more whelming than JB, but still nothing suitable, but - sit down, folks - a salesperson who seemed to know something about photography.

At that point, we adjourned to Coles to buy some ice cream and salve our wounds, having already spent over an hour in search of the holy grail.

The best part of the trip was the gorgeous cavoodle in the pet store, already sold (thankfully) for an exorbitant PP1800. But he was sweet.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:45 pm

gstark wrote:Well, that was a total waste of time.

I did warn that Kata seems to have died off.....You may want to see if you can just get a direct replacement (call Maxwells)
Cameron
aim54x

Postby ozimax on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:50 pm

To carry my shrinking range of Fuji gear, I purchased a tiny Domke bag from http://www.photovideo.com.au in ACT. Service was sensational. I'm sure they have quite a range of Domke bags, which IMHO are as good as they get. Might be worth a gander through their website.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby aim54x on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:20 pm

ozimax wrote:To carry my shrinking range of Fuji gear, I purchased a tiny Domke bag from http://www.photovideo.com.au in ACT. Service was sensational. I'm sure they have quite a range of Domke bags, which IMHO are as good as they get. Might be worth a gander through their website.

I have sold Domke (whilst I was at Foto Riesel)...the shells are good, their metal clips terrible...and sadly the padding appalling. I don't understand why anyone would cough up that much money for the miltary surplus style bags...their other bags (the modern ones) are actually good though.

The only good thing about Domke is the "Gripper" strap they have on their bags and the ultra tough shell. Personally, I would replace the padding with something from Crumpler (Haven series) or Billingham inserts and make sure I get one of their bags that feature the velcro on the flap (or retrofit the velcro). But with all those mods I am better off getting something from Billingham (if I want a stachel) or search Lowepro/ThinkTank for a bigger shoulder bag.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby ozimax on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:35 am

Mine is the Fx-5B. One big zipper, three compartments plus a huge Velcro flap. It has no buckles or the like. I can comfortably fit XPRO1, 18-55, 35, iPad mini, but that's all.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby aim54x on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:02 am

ozimax wrote:Mine is the Fx-5B. One big zipper, three compartments plus a huge Velcro flap. It has no buckles or the like. I can comfortably fit XPRO1, 18-55, 35, iPad mini, but that's all.

Thankfully that is one of the decent little satchels.....In that size range I use a Artisan and Artist ACAM7100 http://mainlinephoto.com.au/prod157.htm...a luxury I allowed myself to offset the Billingham Hadly Pro
Cameron
aim54x

Return to General Discussion