What now Nikon?

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

What now Nikon?

Postby Matt. K on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:24 pm

IN DPreviews 2013 user poll for best gear of the year...Sony, Pentax, Fuji, Canon and Olympus all featured . But no Nikon. Their crown has slipped. Amazing to see Sony, a company once better known for its HI FI taking honours with its latest offerings of very capable, high quality, innovative cameras. They are both beautifully designed and superbly engineered. I'm also surprised to see Pentax and Olympus bounce back from obscurity to take some honours. They pulled some rabbits out of the hat and focused on giving photographers what they wanted. Just goes to show that if you build a good product then people will buy it.
Message to Nikon. You released 21 new models in 2013. Seriously, you are paying your design teams a fortune to produce cameras that no one wants to buy. Much better to put the effort into 2 or 3 jaw dropping masterpieces.

Poll details are here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/02 ... s-are-in/1
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: What now Nikon?

Postby chrisk on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:50 am

The df was an attempt to break some shackles and not only cash in on the markets appetite for retro but truly make something special and different. A small charming mirrorless fm body would have been wonderful. Either a high end one at its current price or a stripped down version true to its marketing campaign for $2k. Not the hodgepodge of low end dslr parts from the existing parts bin. No video drove me fuckin nuts to be honest. I won't carry a camera without it nowadays, I'm an addict, but it would have been far more palatable if it were a $2k stripped down mostly manual body.

Pretty lame attempt which has by all accounts been poorly designed and implemented....and they say it was 4 years in the making ? If that's the best they can do for 4 years in the making...they are in trouble. Heck I don't know how long the em1 was on the drawing board but after having recently acquired this little beastie! nikon should be looking into headhunting olympus engineers. A more complete camera by way of functionality and useability I've not ever used. Shame it's hideous looking...but it's growing on me. lol

Tracking AF and fx goodness is the only reason I stick with nikon right now.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby biggerry on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:42 pm

but that's ok...they have a new lineup of stuff for this year too ;)

https://mynikonlife.com.au/news/gear/ni ... -for-2014/
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby chrisk on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:25 pm

yes they announced the fact that they are working on a d4s and will announce it sometime. lol
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:11 am

This review from DigitalRev says it all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHNm54U1 ... V5vbNpeH_A
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Return to General Discussion