Mirrorless studio flash discussion

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Mirrorless studio flash discussion

Postby ozimax on Tue May 05, 2015 2:36 pm

I needed to take a couple of business head shots last night, so I set up my studio lights etc. I haven't used them since selling my Canon 60D almost two years ago. I attached my 10 year old Cactus flash triggers (Version 1) to the Fuji X-T1 and then discovered that focusing with mirror free cameras can be problematic. Obviously there's no mirror to look through and compose, just a dark screen.

Here was my workaround: I set the ISO at Auto/6400 and auto focus mode. After acquiring focus, I switched back to manual focus and then to ISO 200. It seems a bit of a clumsy way to take photos in a studio setting. If anyone has a better idea of how to focus with the mirrorless cameras and studio lights, please enlighten me.

Many thanks!
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Re: Mirrorless studio flash discussion

Postby bigsarg7 on Tue May 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Hey ozi,

I found my old "elinchrom" studio lighting equipment worked fine with my XT1. Greg has them now, but I tested them all out with it before he picked them up. I had no issues with it.

^^Kept me up all night once I remembered I had typed Manfrotto instead of Elinchrom. I was looking at tripods and had read manfrotto and then automatically typed it. All corrected now^^
Last edited by bigsarg7 on Wed May 06, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby Aussie Dave on Tue May 05, 2015 9:51 pm

Ozi,
Doesnt the EVF or LiveView show you the exposure before you take the photo - or was it very dark in the room meaning you couldn't see properly at the settings you wanted to use (without bumping up the ISO so much)?

Could you have turned on more lights in the room to aid in focusing and composing?
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby chrisk on Tue May 05, 2015 10:33 pm

ozimax wrote:I needed to take a couple of business head shots last night, so I set up my studio lights etc. I haven't used them since selling my Canon 60D almost two years ago. I attached my 10 year old Cactus flash triggers (Version 1) to the Fuji X-T1 and then discovered that focusing with mirror free cameras can be problematic. Obviously there's no mirror to look through and compose, just a dark screen.

Here was my workaround: I set the ISO at Auto/6400 and auto focus mode. After acquiring focus, I switched back to manual focus and then to ISO 200. It seems a bit of a clumsy way to take photos in a studio setting. If anyone has a better idea of how to focus with the mirrorless cameras and studio lights, please enlighten me.

Many thanks!

i use a small LED light set to low. in fact i've almost jumped ship to shoot exclusively with continuous led's
http://www.photo-shop-studio.com.au/stu ... eparately/

the downside is they need batteries and a charger. (not AA's)
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby ozimax on Wed May 06, 2015 8:01 am

Aussie Dave wrote:Ozi,
Doesnt the EVF or LiveView show you the exposure before you take the photo - or was it very dark in the room meaning you couldn't see properly at the settings you wanted to use (without bumping up the ISO so much)?

Yessirree that's the truth. It wasn't that dark, but evidently there wasn't enough light at ISO200 to see anything, hence the need to bump up the ISO in order to focus.

Aussie Dave wrote:Could you have turned on more lights in the room to aid in focusing and composing?

The studio lights have a modelling light feature but it's pretty weak. In any case, the workaround got the job done and the results are fine. It's just a clumsy way to shoot etc.
ozimax

Postby ozimax on Wed May 06, 2015 8:07 am

chrisk wrote:i use a small LED light set to low. in fact i've almost jumped ship to shoot exclusively with continuous led's
http://www.photo-shop-studio.com.au/stu ... eparately/

the downside is they need batteries and a charger. (not AA's)

Thanks Chris. I hadn't thought of LEDs before as a set up lighting source and I hadn't heard of Photo-Shop-Studio before either. Their prices look reasonable. I may give them a try. Thanks for the input.

As far as using LEDs exclusively, this is an interesting thought. How do you compare the light quality of LEDs to traditional studio strobes?
ozimax

Postby chrisk on Wed May 06, 2015 11:10 am

the more i use them the better the light has become. its just about getting used to things and how to light works. the 300led yongnuo light is quite simply...superb. and value wise unbeatable.
the 3 biggest challenges with LED have been...

1. power...had to buy more batteries and 2 double chargers. not so much the xpense but its more gear.
2. light manipulation...i've found it much harder to diffuse the light cos there isnt much on the market as off the shelf diffusers yet. so ive had to be very innovative in this regard. softboxes are non existent. i shoot them thru umbrellas and home made softboxes. light manipulations like gels, snoots, grids etc are also homemade.
3. blinding light for subject...they are freakin bright and being constantly on

but the benefits im finding far outweigh the challenges. i know where the light is going. i can control the light power by remote control, i dont need to rely on any trigger mechanism. i can use for video aswell as a constant light source. they are relatively compact and durable.

id be happy to let you borrow them for a weekend if it helps.

i hadn't heard of the place either until i researched LED lights. they are cheap and their store is AWESOME !! its like a bunnings for photography. dont go there without a shopping list cos you;ll spend a fortune.
chrisk

Postby ozimax on Wed May 06, 2015 10:12 pm

Thanks again Chris. I will be looking at visiting the store next time I'm in the big smoke, possibly early June. I would have to rethink my lighting with LEDs but it may be worth a try.

I've had a look at their tripod prices too and they're not too bad. Thinking of picking up a budget carbon fibre job before next month's trip to NZ.

Quick question: Are the LED batteries you mentioned standard rechargeables or something proprietary?
ozimax

Postby chrisk on Thu May 07, 2015 12:27 am

They use sony camcorder batteries. I believe that's the "standard" for led continuous lights. my yongnuo and aputure amaran LEDs both take the same battery type.

I got 2 of these chargers
http://www.photo-shop-studio.com.au/cam ... 0-750-550/

And a varied array of Sony NP-F batteries.The numbers afterwards indicate the capacity. I have the 770 and 570. Some OEM Sony, some knockoffs. They're pretty cheap but I've noticed a difference between OEM and knock off batteries. The OEM's are better by maybe 10% or a tad more. IMHO, worth it for a very small price difference.

http://www.photo-shop-studio.com.au/cam ... -for-sony/

I also have a cheap softbox coming from Amazon soon that someone at a shoot recommended for me. I'll let you know it it's any good although I'm not optimistic !
chrisk

Return to General Discussion