Looking for a tripod head for vertical shots??? Please help

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Looking for a tripod head for vertical shots??? Please help

Postby haring on Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:50 am

I am looking for a tripod head for vertical shots. Do you have any recommendations? My head can't support my camera with heavy lens attached to it while the camera is in the vertical position.

Please help!!!
haring

Re: Looking for a tripod head for vertical shots??? Please h

Postby !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! on Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:33 pm

I just googled "tripod falls over" and some of the pics are horrendous as aligned with the price of any serious tripod capable of holding our precious machines.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EOS 400D
50mm 1.8 EF
!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:25 pm

Sounds like you want an L-bracket for your camera.
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Quick-Release/Camera-Plates-L-Plates

This will allow you (with the right plate on your tripod) to mount the camera horizontal or vertical by easily un-clipping the camera, turning it 90 degrees and re-clipping it onto the tripod. This also avoids the need to lean the head right over to the side in order to get a vertical aspect for the camera....though your ball head should still be strong enough to hold the weight in the first place.

If you don't want to spend the money on the RRS brand then I'm sure there are many Chinese knock-offs on eBay.
Just be sure to research it before buying anything as some (cheaper versions) don't have appropriate cut-outs to gain access to things like battery compartments or other doors/ports without removing the bracket.

Dave
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Matt. K on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Check out the Benro line of tripods. Very good value for money....and of course, buy an L plate.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby biggerry on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:25 pm

haring wrote:I am looking for a tripod head for vertical shots. Do you have any recommendations? My head can't support my camera with heavy lens attached to it while the camera is in the vertical position.

Please help!!!

more info needed mate. max weight of camera and lens ? budget? expect environment in which said tripod will be used. the more info you can give the better the help you will receive.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Return to General Discussion