Welcome Taylor, pirx and dgottliebsen

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Welcome Taylor, pirx and dgottliebsen

Postby Greg B on Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:06 am

Members 79-81 inc.

Welcome to you all, and a particular welcome to dgottliebsen, another Melbourne member (we are a bit light on in the Melbourne chapter!)

Have fun. :)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Raydar on Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:07 am

Welcome!!!!!! :wink:

The way were going we’ll hit the tone mark by Xmas 8) :shock: :!: :!:

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:48 am

Raydar wrote:The way were going we’ll hit the tone mark by Xmas

Early November, or perhaps (maybe) the end of the month would be my guess. Within four weeks at the outside.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Welcome Taylor, pirx and dgottliebsen

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:56 am

Greg B wrote:Members 79-81 inc.

Welcome to you all, and a particular welcome to dgottliebsen, another Melbourne member (we are a bit light on in the Melbourne chapter!)

Have fun. :)

Welcome all new members!!!!

Greg,
It seems to me your calling making lot of effects with Melbourne Chapter!.
Organize a local meet, will you? :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:41 pm

As a mater of interest Gary :?
What sort of bandwidth we using per month, have you worked it out???? :?:

Cheers
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:50 pm

Raydar wrote:As a mater of interest Gary :?
What sort of bandwidth we using per month, have you worked it out???? :?:

Ray,

In terms of actual traffic coming in to here, not a whole lot.

In terms of outgoing traffic, I'm still just using the 256K (outbound) connection, and in monitoring the site through the day I'm not seeing any performance issues, which is suggestive to me that we're still ok in that regard. My stats tell me that, typically, we have no more than about 8 or 10 users on line at any one time, and it's the nature of a board such as this that the traffic generated by, say, 10 concurrent users will be low, because it's mostly text, and mostly while you're reading a page, the traffic transmission has stopped.

With the setup that we have here, I can double that outgoing bandwidth, should I need to, overnight; it's just little more than a DNS setting now.

For the moment we're running on the new server, btw: A new AMD CPU, (2400), 1GB RAM, 200GB HDD, but still Redhat 9.

The reason I pulled the system down on Monday was to clone the 120GB HDD over to the 200, and then get that disk up and running on the new box.

What I'll probably do over the next week is recommission the old box to act as a secondary server, talking to the SQL on the primary box, but keeping a daily backup of the database on the secondary. That will make any cutover of the DNS totally painless from your perspective. As it happens, I actually switched from the low bandwidth connection to the high, and back again, a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't quite happy with how that worked internally here, which is why I switched it back.

And I still have the new Windows server to bring online ...
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raydar on Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:43 pm

Thanks for that mate :D
Glad to see an AMD running the show.
I like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Cheers
Raydar

Return to General Discussion