Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby gstark on Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:53 pm

This appears to be official.

http://www.photoimaging.com.au/pages/currentpage.taf?record_ID=34518

Thanx to nnnnsic for finding this; we were just discussing it last night, as it happens.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:03 pm

With that megapixel range, the subject should probably be 888.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:05 pm

DP Review's preview is here.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos20d/

Roll on Photokina, and Nikon's new models.

But this sounds delicious, if not exactly the price leader that the 300D was.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:15 pm

I saw this on dpreview early this morning but did not want to bring into this forum, perhaps there's a new flame to start. Good to see Canon got new body, hopefully Nikon will follows. I haven't learn enough how to use my D70 + D100 and my D2H yet. All consumers will benefit with this race!!!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:29 pm

Birddog114 wrote:I saw this on dpreview early this morning but did not want to bring into this forum, perhaps there's a new flame to start.

I would like to think that we are mature enough to appreciate the fact that this will be another fine camera - and let's face it, Canon make excellent gear - from Canon and that we can discuss its merits in a positive manner.

Good to see Canon got new body, hopefully Nikon will follows. I haven't learn enough how to use my D70 + D100 and my D2H yet. All consumers will benefit with this race!!!

Exactly. For us it's a win-win situation. The D200 is supposed to be due out real soon - some suggested it would be available for the Olympics but that's not happenned - so perhaps it will be released at Photokina.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby W00DY on Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:34 pm

gstark wrote:I would like to think that we are mature enough to appreciate the fact that this will be another fine camera - and let's face it, Canon make excellent gear - from Canon and that we can discuss its merits in a positive manner.

Exactly... Who cares if another manufacturer brings out a better camera!!! It just means the next Nikon's that came out will be that good also (well hoping).

The main reason I bought the D70 was because I have the F80 so I can use the same lenses. If I didn't have a film SLR I quite possibly could have bought a different brand.

W00DY
W00DY

Postby birddog114 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:44 pm

Gary,
I agreed, as seen may times on dpreview, troll and flame was happened all the time. I'm not expecting and don't want to see those things happen in our D70 forum.
We should understanding the real facts that happens in this modern life everyday, technology changes unannouced and like lightning flashes in the storm. I like new toys all the time if I can afford them, admire and salute the competitor or other side if they have or release something new and learn from there. I'm looking something new to learn everyday.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:47 pm

W00DY wrote:Exactly... Who cares if another manufacturer brings out a better camera!!! It just means the next Nikon's that came out will be that good also (well hoping).

Precisely.

Besides, the Hasselblad - Imacon will kick the living crap out of both of these cameras (probably put together).

It does give Nikon some space to put more into what their next digital will be.
Think of what the Canon 300D is... and then look at the D70. Now, ask yourself, with as many nifty features the D70 has, how many wouldn't be there if it had come out before or around the same time as the 300D to compete with it...
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby birddog114 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:05 pm

Woody,
Photography is just one of my hobbies, for the last 10 years, since I first got the F90, I'm always happy with Nikon up to the F5, D100, D70, D2H. Did not have one cent return from this hobby.
Technology never stand still, we happy with what we have and learn from what we got.
The top of the line (range) camera + glass won't always make excellent pictures, just the guy behind it.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby W00DY on Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:19 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Woody,
Photography is just one of my hobbies, for the last 10 years, since I first got the F90, I'm always happy with Nikon up to the F5, D100, D70, D2H. Did not have one cent return from this hobby.
Technology never stand still, we happy with what we have and learn from what we got.
The top of the line (range) camera + glass won't always make excellent pictures, just the guy behind it.

Spot on.

Thank good for this forum... I have just had a look over at DPReview and the crap they are going on with about the Canon 20D...

One guy said "I just bought a D70 a month ago but I can't wait to run out and buy the 20D"...

WHY?

Will this make him a better photographer? I know a D100 (or whatever the top of the line Nikon DSLR is) wouldn't make me a professional photographer.

W00DY
W00DY

Postby Raydar on Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:20 pm

The race is getting interesting indeed 8)

I love my D70 :P

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:30 pm

Raydar,
Back from work already? How's your day?
I'm just lucky, a day off today and am in the Bay area (Nelson Bay) at my week-end and holiday home, have some shooting tomorrow with some local guys, stick all day with this forum, try to post some links and other stuff, ready for you guy to see after a hard day at work.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:32 pm

Thanks mate had a good one, sitting in an excavator all bloody day :x

Have the weekend off, doing some shootin :D

Cheers
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby W00DY on Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:33 pm

Hee, Hee, Hee....

Been at work all day and still managed to post messages here :)

W00DY
W00DY

Postby birddog114 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:34 pm

Is that any interesting place up there for photo? I know orange has some
wineries
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:36 pm

Yeah mate we have Nimbin :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:51 pm

Ray,
What is the topic photo in Nimbin?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:13 pm

Anything you can think of mate 8)

The rain forest around the region is awesome.
& the alternant life stile is something to behold :?

Cheers
Raydar

Postby gstark on Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:00 pm

Woody,

W00DY wrote:The main reason I bought the D70 was because I have the F80 so I can use the same lenses. If I didn't have a film SLR I quite possibly could have bought a different brand.

W00DY

Very good point. I have my old Nikon glass, and there's nothing wrong with it. Changing systems is a significant decision.

I'm certainly not averse to owning more than one system (I've owned and used Canon's in the past) and they have some very nice glass, much of which is significantly cheaper than the equivalent Nikon offerings.

But I really doubt I would ditch the Nikons just because something new came up. It would really need to be something special.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:36 am

This announcement came in conjunction with a few significant other cameras they're planning to release. I wonder why there's no work from Nikon regarding what they're planning to come to market with come Photokina. It would be really great if a consumer grade tele-zoom with VR is announced and available to buy soon. :)
Onyx

Return to General Discussion