Epic Day Out - Part 2 - Wings Over Illawarra Air Show...

What is your personal photographic journey? In a photographic sense, how did you start, and with what equipment? How have you progressed, and where are you, and your photographic skillset, placed today?

This is a place where members may share their personal photographic journey. Some of our normal posting rules are suspended within this section. To illustrate you story, for instance, you may post more than the normal 4 or so images. In fact, we actively encourage you to share with us images that illustrate how your photography has changed since you started. So readers with slower connections please be warned that postings made within this section may be - will be - larger than the norm.

Moderator: Moderators

Epic Day Out - Part 2 - Wings Over Illawarra Air Show...

Postby Remorhaz on Thu May 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Headed to Albion Park for the Wings Over Illawarra Air Show. I'd never been to or shot at an air show before and didn't really know what to expect so I packed my BigMos - the Sigma 50-500mm lens to accomodate my expected need for a long focal length along with some focal length flexibility in case I needed it (which I did).

Any feedback, tips, suggestions from anyone who actually knows what they are doing with a long lens or particularly shooting aircraft appreciated of course :)

Up first were some trick aircraft and the Roulettes which put on a good stomach churning show

Then it was time for the old warbirds to put on a show. In this first I've gone for a really slow shutter 1/40 sec to capture the blur of the full rotation of the propellor. To do this I had to stop right down and I had the lens on a monopod for stability.

and a couple more images to finish off the day

D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Re: Epic Day Out - Part 2 - Wings Over Illawarra Air Show...

Postby ozimax on Thu May 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Excellent images Rodney, especially the propeller one and the last, which gives a great perspective of the whole show.

What's your opinion of the Sigma lens?
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Remorhaz on Thu May 09, 2013 11:21 pm

ozimax wrote:Excellent images Rodney, especially the propeller one and the last, which gives a great perspective of the whole show. What's your opinion of the Sigma lens?

Thanks Ozi - I'm very happy with it - for the price I reckon it's a steal. The AF is awesomely fast and accurate (Suren and Cameron both tried it and were impressed). The downsize is the size (when zoomed) & weight - but then again Cam and I saw some guy handholding what looked to be the Nikon 400/2.8!
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby ozimax on Fri May 10, 2013 7:58 am

Thanks Rodney. I would dearly love to get a lens longer than my 24-105, but just not sure about which one as yet. There is a Canon EF 100-400 advertised on Gumtree west of here (about 400kms west to be exact) but it's pickup only. It's a long way to drive just to have a look at the lens.

The Bigma may be a better alternative anyway. We shall see.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Return to Personal Photographic Journeys