New Zealand - March/April 2006

This section is for members who wish to post notifications of updates to their personal galleries. Please note that as the initial you may <b>only</b> include a link to your gallery - you may not, and you must not, include any images. That is where the fun begins: other members may then click on your link, and if they particularly like an image from your gallery, then <b>they</b> may post the link to your image, from your gallery, along with reasons as to why they like the image. <i>Image critiquing is NOT permitted in this section, and images posted within this section are not considered for PotW. Posts made in this section will be excluded from the "Recent Posts" section on the front page, which means that you will need to actively seek posts here. This section will also prune itself, with stale topics being removed 14 days after the most recent post being made.<i>

Moderator: Moderators

New Zealand - March/April 2006

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:21 pm

This is our gallery for a handful of the 3,300 photos taken during our New Zealand (South Island only) honeymoon last year. In order, we went to:

Christchurch (with a drive to Hanmer Springs)
Kaikoura
Nelson
Wanuka
Franz Joseph
Queenstown.

Unfortunately, our planned aerial trips to the top of the FJ glacier and Milford Sound were derailed due to bad weather.

Given time, I will be adding more photos - since setting up the Smugmug account, I have revisited a lot of the photos and found some that jump out at me that I had otherwise ignored before.

New Zealand gallery
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby ATJ on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:32 pm

Patrick,

There are some fantastic shots in there. I was going to post a couple, but there were too many - and I couldn't work out how to.

I really like the Christchurch Botanic Gardens.
ATJ

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:47 pm

ATJ wrote:I really like the Christchurch Botanic Gardens.

Thanks - in the original shot, the foliage is all green! I thought the autumn look would be much better :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:53 pm

Nice image Patrick :D

Glen

Postby zeddy on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:53 pm

just flicked through your gallery and wow they are stuning very hard to choose a fav love them all make me want to go there.
zsolt
Life is one-way street, and we are not coming back
canon
zeddy

Postby Geoff on Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:39 pm

Excellent work Patrick! These are great!
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Manta on Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:41 pm

Beautiful work Patrick. Thanks for the link.

All brilliant but this one really appealed to me:

Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:34 pm

Thanks for the comments guys - this thread really encourages me to go through more of the NZ photos to post more! :D
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Yi-P on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:57 pm

Patrick, what PS action did you use to make those frames? I like them very much, and your images as well!!
Yi-P

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:36 am

Yi-P wrote:Patrick, what PS action did you use to make those frames? I like them very much, and your images as well!!

Thanks Yip

The action I created is:

1. Control-A (selection around image)
2. Shift-Control-J to cut photo from background layer and put it in its own layer.
3. Click on background layer and increase canvas size by whatever you want (I think I chose 2 inches for a full res pic). Make sure the "Relative" box is checked.
4. You can put a black edge around the photo by selecting it and then going to Edit>Stroke and choosing a 1 or 2 pixel black border.
5. If you want more space at the bottom for tex, increase canvas size by another inch with the top box clicked (in the 9 box bit in the middle).
6. To add a drop shadow, click on the photo layer, click on Choose Drop Shadow from Add a Layer Style. Lower opacity to about 60%, uncheck "Use Global Light", and then change distance, spread and size to what suits you (this depends on the size of the photo).

It's pretty easy after a while.

Hope that helps?
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Return to Gallery Updates