Macro Lens

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Macro Lens

Postby brocot on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:53 am

Hi,
I love to have e good Macro lens for mi D90.
The 18-200Vr nikor lens is working for macro, but is not giving me real satisfaction.
I See this new product
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/micro/af-s_micro60mmf_28g/index.htm
This one is better for Macro i think:
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/micro/af-s_vr_micro-nikkor_105mmf_28_if/index.htm

Is there e non Nikon alternative ?

This picture i took whit mi Coolpix 8400.
brocot

Re: Macro Lens

Postby ATJ on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:19 am

There are a few non-Nikon alternatives.

Sigma make 3 lenses which are pretty well received:
105mm f/2.8
150mm f/2.8
180mm f/3.5

The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 also gets good reviews.

All 4 lenses above allow you to get to 1:1 (at the closest focusing distance the image on the sensor is life size).

The focal length to go for depends on the sorts of subjects you want to shoot. If you want to shoot more skitty subjects (dragonflies, butterflies) you'd be better off with a longer lens. Additionally, a longer lens tends to give you a better out-of-focus background. A drawback of a longer lens is if you are using flash for lighting, your flash will be further away and so you have less light, although there are ways to minimize loss.

I have the older Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D. It works very well for me, but my backgrounds are often not as good as they could be.
ATJ

Postby brocot on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:33 am

Do you think that the VR function on the Nikor lens is something useful on e Macro lens ?
brocot

Postby ATJ on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:56 am

I don't think it is - at least when doing macro photography. On the 105mm lens (and to a lesser extent the 60mm) it would be useful for non-macro stuff. I think I read somewhere that the VR doesn't work as you focus in close.
ATJ

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:50 am

I have the 105VR. It does a MUCH better job than the 18-200 for macro.

The 18-200 is a "Jack of all Trades" lens. It does everything OK, but nothing really well. It is my first choice when travelling, but the last almost any other time.

I tend to have it (105VR) on a tripod when doing macro work, so the VR is switched off anyway. Also autofocus is of limited use for Macro.

As well as Macro, I find it quite useful as a mid range telephoto. For candid portraits and so on. VR is very useful for this use.

If you only want it for Macro, you could also consider one of the older 105 Nikon Macro lenses second hand. The non VR version, or even the non AF one.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby colin_12 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:37 am

Hello and welcome Brocot,
I agree with Andrew on this.
I have the nikon 105mm macro lens and am very happy with it.
I find I take much better close up pics than distant with this lens.
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby aim54x on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:24 pm

I could have sworn that I replied to this thread earlier this morning.

I personally like the 180mm macros (good for the extra working distance for shooting bugs and things and also doubles as a decent telephoto prime - albeit on short end). I have to say that I have used a fair few macros (Sigma 180mm - I own, Tamron 180mm - really nice, Tamron 90mm - I recommend this, Micro Nikkor 105VR - also very nice but pricey, Micro Nikkoer AF-D 60mm - very nice lens, Micro Nikkor AF-S 60mm - once again very nice, and the Canon EF-S 60mm).

From what I have used i have found that the 90mm and longer lenses work beautifully as portrait lenses and short telephotos. The Nikkor 105 has VR for this purpose, as already mentioned. If you like BUGS then go for the longer 180 or 150mm (i heard good things about the simga but went with the longer 180mm to strengthen the long end of my kit and get a focal length that I know) lenses for the extended working distance.

I love my 180mm Sigma but it erks me that they did not include a MF/AF switch on the lens (it comes in very handy when the AF decides not to quite get it right and refuses to lock and you MF). I also am quite fond of the Tamron's (90 and 180) as I found them very pleasant to use, dont worry too much about AF speed as you will MF most of your macro work and you can always MF to a ballpark and use AF to correct when your using these lenses as short telephotos.

Cheers
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby aim54x on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:25 pm

ATJ wrote:I don't think it is - at least when doing macro photography. On the 105mm lens (and to a lesser extent the 60mm) it would be useful for non-macro stuff. I think I read somewhere that the VR doesn't work as you focus in close.

I remember reading that Nkkon tells you to turn off VR for macro work
Cameron
aim54x

Postby brocot on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Thank You, for the replay.
I will try do get e Macro lens to test before i buy one. I have no experience in that domain.

Thanks
:cheers:
brocot

Postby Matt. K on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:59 pm

Nikkor 200mm macro is one very interesting, very sharp lens.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby brocot on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:15 pm

Matt. K wrote:Nikkor 200mm macro is one very interesting, very sharp lens.

Is it not hard to use without zoom function ?
brocot

Postby ATJ on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:45 pm

And one that I would like to get - if I could find one (and the dollar was better).
ATJ

Postby aim54x on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:09 pm

With macros, you generally get primes (the only zoom macro that I know of that is well regarded it the Micro Nikkor 70-180mm, but this lens is only a 1:2 macro). If you can get your hands on any of the mentioned lenses and have a play with them, then you will be able to make a much better decision. Try going to your local camera store, they will generally have the 60mm and 105mm Nikkors, 90mm Tamron, and if you are lucky maybe even the 105 Sigma.

I had a hell of a time trying to get a hands on with the 150 and 180mm macros and ended up buying the Sigma based on what I had read and heard, and my experience with the Tamron 180. A little risky, but it paid off in the end. PS if you are buying Sigma, go and find yourself a juicy grey price then email CR Kennedy to get them to match it.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:13 pm

aim54x wrote: PS if you are buying Sigma, go and find yourself a juicy grey price then email CR Kennedy to get them to match it.

um Cameron, brocot is in Belgium. Kennedys may be a bit of a hike :)
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby aim54x on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:22 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:
aim54x wrote: PS if you are buying Sigma, go and find yourself a juicy grey price then email CR Kennedy to get them to match it.

um Cameron, brocot is in Belgium. Kennedys may be a bit of a hike :)
 ROFL, I totally missed that one!! I have been fooled into believing that almost everyone was a local Aussie.

SORRY brocot
Cameron
aim54x

Postby brocot on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:58 pm

No, problem.
Can it bi e reason to visit Australia, buying e new lens, or testing e new lens ? Why not . :D
I by mine here, very good prises,

http://www.cameranu.nl/
brocot

Postby gstark on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:40 am

brocot wrote:

Is it not hard to use without zoom function ?

I would think that, with no zoom functionality, it's easier to use. Less choices: compose, focus, shoot!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:08 am

I just had a look at that website, it is amazing how easy it is to navigate despite it not being in english. The prices look pretty similar to the prices available in Australia through retailers. BUT the Nikkors looks steeper than available here. I vote the Tamron 90mm or either of the 180mm (personal love for these lenses)
Cameron
aim54x

Return to First Image