Pixels are important

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Pixels are important

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:11 am

My wife's god-daughter had her 21st yesterday and I took the D800E along for some happy family snaps.

This photo was cropped from a larger candid shot that was cluttered with food, bottles etc etc. The resultant image is less that 5% of the original. The safety mark on the glass door behind the birthday girl is a pain, but apart from that I am happy.
Auto-focus is quick and accurate, and the IQ is very good.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Re: Pixels are important

Postby biggerry on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:12 pm

well its a nice side effect from supersize resolution, as long as you have the gear to deal with the higher resolution files than the more megapixels is nothing but a bonus and as can be seen here can certainly help recover a fine image.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby zafra52 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Nice picture!
zafra52

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Reminds me of the story regarding the great portrait photographer August Sander. After the war every German citizen was required to have an ID card with their photograph on it. Sander, having suffered a bit of poverty during the war restarted his studio and arranged for his clients to turn up at the same time. He then lined them up into a block of 40 or so and took 1 photograph with his 10" x 8' plate camera. From this he made 1 print and then cut out the heads with a pair of scissors and charged his clients the usual fee. He would have loved the D800! Of course, he used a long focal length lens to keep the heads approximately the same size.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Murray Foote on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:19 pm

He'd still get better resolution with the 10x8 camera, though.
Murray Foote

Return to First Image