Image size 800 pixels wide

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Image size 800 pixels wide

Postby RichardW on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:06 pm

Can't find any reference to this issue.
I previewed some images I was about to upload which are 800 pixels wide and note that the right side has been cut off.
Is this just my PC, my Board Preferences or the website.
Richard

Canon 350D, 5D and a few lenses
Profile and Images
RichardW

Re: Image size 800 pixels wide

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:09 pm

Firstly, who’s hosting your images Richard. Secondly, if resizing in, for example Photoshop, there should not be any cropping of your image.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:13 pm

Thirdly, what is the resolution that you are looking at the images, through your browser, in?

If you're seeing the rh edge cut off, then either the image is too wide (right click, properties to see) or else your browser/viewport configuration is incorrect.

And if your image is presented with a border (why?) then your border is included in the image size. Thus, an image width of 800 px plus a 100 px border will render as 1000px.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby RichardW on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:25 pm

gstark wrote:Thirdly, what is the resolution that you are looking at the images, through your browser, in?

If you're seeing the rh edge cut off, then either the image is too wide (right click, properties to see) or else your browser/viewport configuration is incorrect.

And if your image is presented with a border (why?) then your border is included in the image size. Thus, an image width of 800 px plus a 100 px border will render as 1000px.

Images are resized in photoshop including the border at 800px wide and they are hosted on my ISP which is iinet.
Monitor resolution is 1024X768.
Here is an example. Hows it look to you?
Last edited by RichardW on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Profile and Images
RichardW

Postby who on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:29 pm

Looks fine to me there.... Deja vu, think I've seen this pic before. :lol:
Old D200+extras
who

Postby RichardW on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:33 pm

who wrote:Looks fine to me there.... Deja vu, think I've seen this pic before. :lol:

Just changed it. :oops:
Must be my PC.
Richard

Profile and Images
RichardW

Postby gstark on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:38 pm

RichardW wrote:Monitor resolution is 1024X768.

And are you usuing the full viewport for your browser, or is it scaled down? 1024 is probably the lower limit these days, but your browser, at that resolution, should be fully windowed.

This looks fine to me, btw.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Bob G on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:40 pm

It's appearing chopped off on my screen too. Is screen size an issue?
Bob
"Wake up and smell the pixels!"
Bob G

Postby RichardW on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:47 pm

gstark wrote:
RichardW wrote:Monitor resolution is 1024X768.

And are you usuing the full viewport for your browser, or is it scaled down? 1024 is probably the lower limit these days, but your browser, at that resolution, should be fully windowed.

This looks fine to me, btw.

Got the whole image by resizing the monitor to 1280X960.
Print size is too small for my ancient eyes.
Pretty old monitor so maybe I'd better upgrade.
Borrowing my sons LCD monitor to see how that goes.

Thanks for everyones help.
Richard

Profile and Images
RichardW

Postby RichardW on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:08 pm

My eyes have just been opened with my sons Dell 24" LCD monitor.
I'm getting one and ditching the old 19" CRT. :)
Richard

Profile and Images
RichardW

Postby who on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:25 pm

You could also look at the 27"Dell LCD - The 1920x1200 resolution might be a fraction small for you still - I know at times I use the zoom function in some software on mine and I like small fonts.
Old D200+extras
who

Postby zafra52 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:16 pm

If what you are talking about is that when you preview an image 800 + pixels in this website you see some of the image cut off on the right. You are correct!

I have been expereriencing the same problem since the last website upgrade. I don't have a solution for you, or for me. The confusing part is that I can see the complete images at work and not in my home computer, and yet both computers have 1024 pixels screen resolutions. The highest resolutions for my graphic card (Leadtek WinFast A6600GT THD) is 1024 pixels and it will not go higher; while in the work computer the images look fine at 1024 pixels and therefore there is no need to increase the resolution. How is that for confunsing?

I seem to remember that in the previous website (before the upgrade) there was a horizontal scroll bar that allowed moving the images left and right to get them in full view, but this horizontal scrolling bar is not available now. My solution has been to publish at 750 pixels and taking into consideration that I am not seeing the full image when when giving feedback.

But if any of you have a solution for this issue, I will be keen to put it in practice. However, I don't want to change the graphic card because my home computer is now 3 years old and I have already spent too much money in it abd photographic gear. I guess a possible solution could be to reduce the width of the right column or enable a horizontal scroll bar, but if this issue is confined to two or members only it might not be worth the bother. PS I just realised the monitos (Benq FP567s) will not go over 1024 pixel resolution, so it is not just the graphic card.
zafra52

Postby Louie on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:56 pm

zafra52 wrote:I seem to remember that in the previous website (before the upgrade) there was a horizontal scroll bar that allowed moving the images left and right to get them in full view, but this horizontal scrolling bar is not available now. My solution has been to publish at 750 pixels and taking into consideration that I am not seeing the full image when when giving feedback.

I have the horizontal scroll bar now but strangely enough it only appeared a couple of weeks ago, until then everything 'fit' just fine. My computer hasn't changed ... unless it was one of those patch thingys microsoft keeps doing ..... It's actually a bit annoying now, having to scroll across even just to read the posts, I might have a play with resolution but I'm not sure why it changed at all.

Btw I can see all of the image without cropping, but do have to scroll across :)
Elena
Louie

Postby zafra52 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:03 pm

I started to think that the issue has to do more with the design of the website itself. My little understanding of website development tells me that when one develops a website it should keep in mind the lower common resolution and build the website for that target audience, but in fact it is impossible to take into consideration all the variables like graphic cards, monitors, and browser versions out there. So, it is invariably the users with older technology, who do not benefit as much and have to put up with a little inconvinience. As I said before, if it is only a few of us and providing we are aware of the problem it is possibly more cost effective to leave it as is for trying to fix it could cause even more problems.

Since I posted the paragrraph above, I have downloaded firefox portable to my USB drive and checked this thread with it and it still cuts off part of the image on the right - so upgrade or put up with the inconvienience!
zafra52

Return to Information