Sunrise/Sunset times..

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Sunrise/Sunset times..

Postby beetleboy on Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:35 pm

I'm thinking about heading into the Adelaide hills this evening to try for some sunset pics (last night's sunset was so intensely orange/red/purple/blue it had me kicking myself for not following my instinct and heading for the hills!!) and found this site to be useful for calculating sunset and sunrise times:

http://www.ga.gov.au/nmd/geodesy/astro/sunrise.jsp

Liam =]
beetleboy

Postby Mj on Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:55 pm

Thanks Liam... handy site for sunrise/set times indeed.
Mj

Postby MattC on Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:01 pm

Last week I missed something that I really wanted to photograph. Mercury and Venus were aligned (very bright) and were about 30^ above the horizon. The moon was vey bright in the sky about 5^ above those planets and we had a beautiful red sunrise over the desert.

Do you think I was kicking myself? You bet ya!

I use CyberSky v2.? shareware version for sunrise/sunset times and the location of cellestial bodies. This software used to have no time restrictons on it. Unfortunately those days are gone. The current shareware version is time limited.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby MATT on Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:10 pm

Does anyone have any tips tricks for shooting sunsets??

MATT
MATT

Postby Killakoala on Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:29 pm

If you have a Pocket PC then the following link is to a very useful programme called Ephemeris 1.0 which will give you much more than just sunrise/sunset, also phases of the moon and a callender showing what the moon will be like per month, also a compass if you can see the sun or the moon (like scouts do with an analogue watch)

http://home.comcast.net/~jonsachs/

There's some other useful photographers utilities there too.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby JordanP on Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:44 am

MATT wrote:Does anyone have any tips tricks for shooting sunsets??

MATT

I like to take an exposure reading of the sunset without direct sun in the image or just to the left or right of the sun if you are spot metering. Then use that reading to manually shoot the recomposed image. Other tip - bracket. Use the camera to do this or do it manually but take about 3 or 4 differently exposed shots either side of your first reading. As for composition the way the sunset presents will dictate, but remember if the horizon is in the shot make sure your viewing grid is turned on and try and make sure the horizon is straight.

I'm sure others can add with some of their great techniques.

Also, this is not done so often - but wait until after the sun has gone down for some more pics - twilight can bring in some nice colours (a tripod would be handy for this)

Cheers,
Craig
JordanP

Postby MATT on Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:27 am

Tahnks Jordan,

Ill give that a try, and I have now my grid turned on I fell for the horizon trick before and didnt realise till later.

tahnks again

MATT
MATT

Postby Suri on Fri May 20, 2005 9:56 pm

Great softwar - another for the favourites,
had been looking at the programable watches for exact same reason.
Saved me heaps.
Suri

Return to Tips and tricks