Create your own signature block- very useful

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Create your own signature block- very useful

Postby Matt. K on Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:08 pm

CREATE A CUSTOMIZABLE SIGNATURE BLOCK

This is a handy tool to have as you can drop your signature block anywhere on an image in any colour or size with 1 mouse click.

1. Choose FILE/ new/preset/5 x 7/ and check the transparent box. Ensure that the resolution is 300 pi and the mode is RGB. Rotate the canvas 90 degrees…IMAGE/ Rotate canvas,
2. Center the image by hitting the F key
3. Click on the SHAPE Tool, (1 below TEXT tool), and choose CUSTOM SHAPE from the fly - out menu
4. Click on SHAPE box on the top right menu bar and fly out the menu. Choose LOAD SYMBOLS and then find the Copyright symbol.
5. Place Copyright symbol on page by holding SHIFT key and drag the cursor. Move the symbol into position using the MOVE tool; (looks like a cross just above the magic wand tool).
6. Click the TEXT tool/choose a font to suit and set 18pt as the font size
7. Type your sig…”image by Bill Smith”
8. By clicking on the MOVE tool, (looks like a cross next to the magic wand tool), you can click and drag your text to align it with the Copyright symbol.
9. Click on LAYER/ Layer Style/ Drop shadow
10. From the Drop Shadow large menu uncheck Drop Shadow and check INNER SHADOW and BEVEL AND EMBOSS and CONTOUR……Click OK
11. Click on paintbrush tool and set the size to about 550 on the top toolbar. You will be able to alter the size of your new sig block anytime from here. Click EDIT/Define brush and give the brush a name.
12. Click on the paintbrush preset drop down menu top toolbar extreme left. Click on arrow to get to preset menu, click on arrow in new menu and click NEW PRESET. Give it a name. You now have a signature block available at any time by simply clicking on the paintbrush tool and going to the preset menu.
13. Close your image without saving and open a new blank page. Be sure to unset the transparency by choosing white background.
14. Experiment with your brush by changing colours and altering the transparency.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby bago100 on Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:11 pm

Thanks for this Matt

I presume the instructions apply to Photoshop

Will give it a go tomorrow - too much work work to do tonight!

Cheers and thanks again

Graham
bago100

Postby birddog114 on Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:19 pm

bago100 wrote:Thanks for this Matt

I presume the instructions apply to Photoshop

Will give it a go tomorrow - too much work work to do tonight!

Cheers and thanks again

Graham

What work? House cleaning? dishwashing? Ironing?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby BBJ on Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:46 pm

Thanks Matt, I tried it and it works so yeh spose it saves a bit of time and will have a play with it again sometime but yeh works ok.
Thanks
John
BBJ
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby Manta on Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:29 pm

Nice stuff Matt.
I did a similar thing by way of an action but it took an extra mouse click or two to place it on an image. Life's too short - I'll go with yours!
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Geoff on Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:45 pm

Thanx for this matty - if only they had photoshop on the work PC. Hahahaha. It's quite a nice night here in ICU - for those wondering about my patient on 'life support' I am on an official BREAK and someone else is looking over them...so don't fret! Only another 8hrs to go! Hope most of u are sleeping well! Cheers,

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Matt. K on Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:23 pm

For those attending the meet this Saturday I will demonstrate the construction of this Sig block. It is fairly simple.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby phillipb on Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:18 pm

Matt, thanks for this very useful action.
Just one question, is it possible to edit the action after you've created it or do you just delete it and start again if you want to make some changes.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Matt. K on Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:08 pm

phillipb
You have to start again...but once you've done it 2 or 3 times then it only takes a couple of minutes. You can make as many presets as you like...different fonts and different messages.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby timbo on Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:05 am

Thanks Matt. That's a great tip and I'm sure one that will come in handy for all of us. Much appreciated!

Tim
timbo

Where did it go

Postby Sean on Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:59 am

Thanks Matt

Yeah I agree it works well, do you know where this individual brush now resides so i can transfer it to different machines?

Sean :D
"The more I learn, the less I realise I know"
Sean

Postby thehikingdude on Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:16 pm

Thanks a bunch!!!! I've been wanting to do this but wasn't sure how to get started. You just made it very easy.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Nikon D200 w/ 18-70mm Kit Lens, Nikkor 70-200VR, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 10-20mm and SB800 | http://www.jeffandjean.smugmug.com
thehikingdude

Postby Matt. K on Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:38 pm

Sean
Just had a play around in PS and worked it out. Open PS, open an image, click on te brush tool and go to the preset menu top left. Click on Preset manager and select the brushes you want to appear in your "set" ...by Ctrl clicking....and give it a name such as "my brushes" or whatever. Save it.Close PS. Now got to your computer/program files/adobe/presets/brushes, and you should see your new brush collection there. Copy it to disk and move it anywhere you like.

:lol: :lol:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Spooky on Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:42 pm

Matt (or anyone that knows)

How do you automate this process? Lets say you have 100 images to put your signature block on.

I tried automating it into a batch but I cannot get it to work. The fact you have to place the block on the image defeats it I think.

Any other way to automate a signature block?

Must be a pretty common thing to do for those in the know.
Spooky

Postby Matt. K on Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:55 am

This is not so easy. If all of your images are the same size then maybe save a blank template in a certain folder with your sig already stamped on it. The action would open that particular file and then paste your current picture into it and the save it in another folder. I can't think of any other way at this time...but will think about it over the next few days.
Thanks for the challange!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby tasadam on Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:31 pm

Thanks Matt
Do I need this!
My brother sent me a large portion of his art collection (he paints) - nearly 400 oil paintings. I've gotta photo them all and send the CDs off for people to buy / sell.
I was going to be looking for a way to do this, you've saved me all the work!
Now all I have to do is install my PS, take loads of photos, and apply the sig to all the pics! Not much work really... :shock:
Adam.
Share what you know, learn what you don't.
Wilderness Photography of Tasmania http://www.tasmaniart.com.au
tasadam

Return to Tips and tricks