PS Magic Wand tip.

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

PS Magic Wand tip.

Postby johndec on Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:28 pm

I'm probably the only person on the planet who hadn't already figured this out :oops: But just in case I'm not....

I took a photo of the Sydney Harbour bridge the other day, but wasn't real happy with the colour of the sky (It was midday). I tried to select the sky with magic wand, but it would select all of the sky and bits of cloud, making the sky look really fake and blocky.

I had another play tonight and adjusted the tolerance from 30 to 100 and it selected all the sky and cloud just lovely :shock: Make life very easy when you are working with mottled sky.

You learn something every day :lol: :lol:

johndec

Postby JordanP on Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:57 pm

johndec,

You are not the only one who didn't know - thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Craig
JordanP

Postby Onyx on Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:14 am

Thanks for the tip John, but regarding the two pics you posted - are we playing spot the difference here? Cos I don't seem to be seeing any. :?
Onyx

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:22 am

The sky is a bit more intense, but I'm not sure if it was something that even needed the magic wand tool.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby dooda on Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:42 am

I can spot the difference. It would have been something I'd have left alone as I can never select the sky without grabbing something else. It's a subtle change but a good one IMO. If I want to make a CPL effect, I up the hue by about +10, Saturation +30, and lightness -10 or so. Seems to work.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby the foto fanatic on Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:19 am

I think the new sky does enhance the pic. Well done. :)
the foto fanatic

Postby johndec on Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:02 am

Onyx wrote:Thanks for the tip John, but regarding the two pics you posted - are we playing spot the difference here? Cos I don't seem to be seeing any. :?

Yeah, got to admit it only looks like a subtle change when resized and posted, but in PS and when printed out at A4,the change is quite noticable :o
johndec

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:24 am

When you adjust the tolerance of the magic wand up it has the ability to capture more pixels. But this can be a disadvantage as it will tend to capture not only the pixels you are after but also pixels in other parts of the picture that are similar but within the image itself.

I normally work within the range of 8 to 24 and use the shift key plus the wand to selectively capture the pixels I want. This is generally quick and accurate.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Return to Tips and tricks