This is a must read-be sure to read the entire article

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

This is a must read-be sure to read the entire article

Postby Matt. K on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:15 pm

Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby MHD on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:33 pm

hmmm.... very interesting... much food for thought
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby LOZ on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:57 pm

Thanks Matt $2.00 insted of $70+? sounds good to me .I will give it a go tonight .
LOZ

Postby MCWB on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:05 pm

Being a Canonian, I figured the black one with the red ring had got to be better, but I was wrong

:lol:

Excellent article Matt, interesting stuff! :) That reminds me, I should check for DBs again soon...
MCWB

Postby stubbsy on Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:43 pm

Very interesting read Matt. Thanks for posting.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby atencati on Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:50 am

Thanks Matt. I've used this method on my lenses but never thought about using it for the ccd. A goood Artists brush should do wonders eh? I'll give it a go today.

Andy
D70, 70-200VR, 18-70, 50 1.8, SB800
Blackberry PIN: 2029497E
atencati

Postby christiand on Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:45 am

Thanks Matt.

Great info and may be quite handy in the field.
Who carries pads and Eclipse fluid with them ?

Cheers
CD
christiand

Postby dooda on Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:40 am

Thankyou for posting this. I will definitly try this out. I don't recognize the word size as it pertains to stuff that sits on a brush. Would the artist store helpers know what I'm talking about when I say "is there any size on that brush?"
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby Sean on Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:17 am

Thanks Matt, I really need to do this soon as I am already using the clone tool to blot out some unwanted spots on my images!

Also the rest of the site looks like a great portal of info too!

Regards

Sean
"The more I learn, the less I realise I know"
Sean

Postby Matt. K on Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:16 am

Dooda
I think the "size" refered to is the glue that holds the bristles in place.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Matt. K on Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:18 am

Sean
Come along to one of Birdie's mini-meets and I'll show you how to clean your CCD safely.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

How to learn from afar...

Postby tasadam on Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi MattK
Interesting stuff.

My story - changed lens in field, two tiny black spots on photos (dust on sensor).

Could not find dry air in can, borrowed airbrush from photo lab. Pulled bristles off, squeezed violently to try clean the blower before aiming to camera. All seemed OK. Little did I know.

Squeezed gently in area around sensor to hopefully blow away dust particle, no change.

Squeeze a little firmer, notice large chunks of dust on sensor, leave photo lab in disgust. Camera being sent to Melbourne now for professional and probably expensive clean with Nikon.

How can I learn Birdies technique from Tasmania?
Adam.
Share what you know, learn what you don't.
Wilderness Photography of Tasmania http://www.tasmaniart.com.au
tasadam

Postby Matt. K on Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:24 pm

tasadam
Cleaning the CCD is very easy. First you need to get some Pec-pads and Eclipse fluid...then search the forum for the step by step directions. Then just do it. After you have done it 3 or 4 times you''ll wonder what the hesitation was about.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Pec pads & Eclipse I can get...

Postby tasadam on Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:14 am

Hi Matt

I am ok with the pec-pads and eclipse. Have read and saved heaps on how it's done Also read up on the static method with the air and a nylon brush.

I see the 4x4 pec pads (100 for $18) and eclipse ($25) are a good option compared to the sensor swabs (12 for $88) but what do I use for a spatula to wrap the pec-pad around and where do I get it?
Hoping you can help (again)
Adam.
tasadam

Postby Matt. K on Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:38 pm

Get one of these from any cheap junk shop. They cost about $2. Then cut down a short handled one to about 12mm or a bit smaller. Leave a bit of rubber on the end so that it will flex. Sand the sharp corners off with a bit of wet & dry and then wash thouroughly with soapy water. Place a small rubber band around the handle to hold the pec-pad.
That's it!

http://www.pbase.com/matt_k/image/41054113
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Many thanks to Matt and others

Postby tasadam on Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:59 am

Matt
Thanks for that. I have ordered pecpads and eclipse. Your advice on spatulas is great and the photo tops it off.

Thanks again
Adam.
tasadam

Postby Matt. K on Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:12 pm

tasadam
Pleasure. The only real hazard comes from the shutter closing while you are cleaning the CCD. Make sure the battery is fully charged and that should hold the shutter open for about 10 minutes. You will only be in there for about 8 seconds a time so the risk is fairly minimal. I have never heard of an incident gone wrong yet. If you need any more info then just ask. Be sure to follow the directions on how to attach the pec-pad. You need a straight edge on it.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

More info on my repair

Postby tasadam on Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:58 pm

Hello again.
My camera is ready for collection after having had its 1st service at Camera Clinic in Melbourne (via a camera shop here in Tassie).
They have completed the 1st service and Maxwell have confirmed the 1st is free so long as it's done through Maxwell.
Make sure your camera shop forwards a copy of the warranty information so they don't bill you (all sorted out now, I emailed it myself).

One thing though - they tell me there is a speck of dust between the filter and the sensor itself. They say they have to pull the sensor out of the camera and clean it, will cost at least a few hundred bucks.
1. Think I will wait and see how bad it impacts my photos.
2. I sent the camera over for a clean, why didn't they do it?
3. How does dust find its way in between the filter and the sensor? Should that not be warranty?

Another thing, you say a full battery will allow the shutter to be held open for 10 minutes what if I am experimenting with night photography and want longer than that? Another way?

Adam.
tasadam

Postby birddog114 on Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:24 pm

One thing though - they tell me there is a speck of dust between the filter and the sensor itself. They say they have to pull the sensor out of the camera and clean it, will cost at least a few hundred bucks.

tasadam

That a big fart liar! :evil: :twisted:

Maxwell or any Maxwell Service Centre will sevice and clean the camera for you first time and they have to clean all the dust if there's/ are.

No question about paying extra bucks to do this or that, especially cleaning or removing dust, speck of dust. Dust are dusts and can be anywhere inside the camera chamber.

On receiving the camera, request the service report from Service Center, normall accompanied with the D70, and you'll see what they have done.

I can do it for you as well by sending the camera to me with few hundred bucks in crispy green plastic notes inside the box. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Matt. K on Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:29 pm

tasadam
The shutter will stay open for a long time with a fresh battery....maybe hours. But for sensor cleaning if it's open for more than 10 minutes then recharge. This gives you a very large safety factor.
Birdie is right...Maxwells should clean the chip as part of a warrenty sevice. Go hassel them.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Thanks for reassurance

Postby tasadam on Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:44 am

Hi guys.
Thanks for your reassurance on this. I left a message for Simon from Maxwell Sydney a few days ago. He's the service manager at the moment (and parts manager and... they say he's busy...)
When I phoned yesterday they assured me he will call.
My story is -
I tok my camera to a reputable Nikon dealer in Launceston. They assured me they could arrange the repair. At that time I didn't know I was entitled to a free service.
The camera shop sent it to either Maxwell in Melbourne who forwarded it directly to Camera Clinic without recording the numbers (serial and docket number), or, more likely, the camera shop sent it directly to Camera Clinic. Either way, when they sent the camera they failed to include a copy of the warranty paperwork and receipt as I had supplied when I booked it in.
Subsequently I found out about the 1st free service and verified with Maxwell, they said that was correct as long as it was sent to Maxwell or their authorised repairer.
I then contacted the camera shop where I took it, they said it would probably take a few weeks and no chance before Easter. I asked if they minded me contacting the repairer and they gave me Maxwell Melbourne's phone number (curious if they sent it direct to Camera Clinic).
Maxwell had no record of the job number or the serial number and suggested I called Camera Clinic as they do Maxwells repairs and cleans in Melbourne, they gave me the number.
Camera Clinic had it, they had finished it and were sending it back overnight. That was Monday.
I phoned the camera shop in Launceston yesterday (Wed) and they told me it had just arrived... and the total cost of repair was $155 or something like that. I quizzed them about the 1st service being free and they knew nothing about it. I contacted Maxwell and they suggested I talk to Camera Clinic about it.
I talked to the lady from Camera Clinic, who I must say was very pleasant and professional, I informed her that this was the 1st service it has had. She advised there was no warranty paperwork included. I emailed it to her and she contacted the camera shop in Launceston to cancel the charge (apart from freight, which I am happy to pay).

If the camera shop had supplied the warranty paperwork would the camera clinic have cleaned the dust from under the filter in this first service? Camera clinic are saying no, and that I would need to pay to have this done. Camera Clinic are also saying that dust under the filter just happens, it's part of owning a digital SLR and would not be covered under warranty.
I am waiting to see what the service manager would say to this.
Wish me luck!
Going to pick the camera up today (Thu) to see how bad this speck affects photos.

Sorry about the essay, thought other people might learn from this experience.
Adam.
tasadam

Sorry

Postby tasadam on Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:46 am

Sorry, just realised I'm getting this thread way off track.
Adam.
tasadam

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:56 am

tasadam

Next time buy an airline ticket and fly to Sydney is more cheaper and quicker :wink: second option is move to Sydney :cry: not Melbourne, cos you still have to talk to Maxwell face to face instead of :wink:

Send it direct to Maxwell and screw them from there, it is more the easier and economical way :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Cleaning the sensor the Nikon way

Postby tasadam on Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:20 am

Hey guys.
Why don't we just use Nikon Japan's method and tools for cleaning the sensor! Click here to see...Nikon Cleaning Method and Tools

Come to think of it, after reading, er, trying to read, maybe not!
Great for a laugh though.
tasadam

Postby Matt. K on Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:43 pm

That was a charming read!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Re: Pec pads & Eclipse I can get...

Postby Alex on Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:31 pm

a spatula to wrap the pec-pad around and where do I get it?
Adam.[/quote]

Or go to http://www.copperhillimages.com and buy the tool cheaply, pre-cut to the size of your sensor.

Alex
Alex

Re: More info on my repair

Postby Alex on Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:37 pm

[Camera Clinic in Melbourne (via a camera shop here in Tassie).
They have completed the 1st service and Maxwell have confirmed the 1st is free so long as it's done through Maxwell.
Make sure your camera shop forwards a copy of the warranty information so they don't bill you (all sorted out now, I emailed it myself).

Hi Adam,

I live in Melbourne and was wondering about the Camera Clinc. Never used them but it is nice to know someone who has. So the first service is free? I did my own CCD cleaning, but I was considering sending my D70 for check up near the end of the warranty. Is it what you did with yours? Was your warranty about to expire when you sent it in? How long did it take them to do the service? Did they actually send the camera to Maxwell or did the service themselves?

Thanks

Alex
Alex

Re: Pec pads & Eclipse I can get...

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:39 pm

Alex wrote:a spatula to wrap the pec-pad around and where do I get it?
Adam.

Or go to http://www.copperhillimages.com and buy the tool cheaply, pre-cut to the size of your sensor.

Alex[/quote]

Adam,
Go to Woolly and buy a bag of plastic spatula (small size for $4.00 or $5.00) and has about 20 or 30 of them, cut it down to 14mm width at one end and you can use it with Pec*Pad.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby BBJ on Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 pm

Just to say what birdie said Alex i did this and works fine and was under $2 i think for 2 of them a bigger one and smaller, got 2 just incase i butchered 1. measured it out and cut it with a stanley knife and works a treat, cant get much cheaper than that.
Cheers
John
BBJ
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Re: More info on my repair

Postby tasadam on Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:36 pm

I live in Melbourne and was wondering about the Camera Clinc. Never used them but it is nice to know someone who has. So the first service is free? I did my own CCD cleaning, but I was considering sending my D70 for check up near the end of the warranty. Is it what you did with yours? Was your warranty about to expire when you sent it in? How long did it take them to do the service? Did they actually send the camera to Maxwell or did the service themselves?

Re the first service, I picked up my camera today from the camera shop that sent it over. They knew nothing about teh free servcie either, and said they would be "having words" with their rep.
Maybe it's something Maxwell don't advertise, to save money? Don't know, but possible.
Anyway I certainly got the first service free, after finding out what the repairer needed and advising them it was the first service.

My advice - check with Maxwell yourself to find out how to get a service for free, making it clear it hasn't been in for repair before, and it's still under warranty.

It's good that Maxwell do this for us.

Camera Clinic were good in that they were quick, polite to talk to, no problems there.
My concern with them is that my camera was sent in for a sensor clean, they cleaned the sensor and returned it with comments indicating a speck of dust is between the sensor and the filter. They advised me this on the phone after they had "finished" as well, indicating it would cost at least a few hundred to repair that.
I haven't had a chance to see what impact this speck is having, only picked it up late this evening. As I said in a previous post, I am waiting to talk to the Maxwell service manager about this.
More advice - send the camera direct to Maxwell and get them to book it in with whoever they use for repairers (in Melbourne this is the Camera Clinic, in Sydney they might use their own people I'm not sure).
Next time though, I think I'll send it to Sydney, only for that I thought Cam Clinic should have removed all the dust inc. that between filter and sensor, after all that's what it was sent there for - I didn't even know I was entitled to a free service at that time.

Spatulas - thanks all for the advice, I'm right with that now.
Adam.
tasadam

Postby birddog114 on Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:41 am

Maxwell has their own inhouse Service Dept. and can doit for you, perhaps will charge you a premium at second time.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby tasadam on Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:56 pm

Camera Clinic told me that if I sent it straight to them, if it's already had its 1st service or it's out of warranty they will charge $99 for a standard service / sensor clean.
tasadam

Postby Matt. K on Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:44 pm

$99! What a rip off! Learn to do it yourself. That $99 will buy enough pec-pads and eclipse for 10 years! This is not rocket science....it's like windscreen cleaning.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Sensor Cleaning - Never Handle Brush Bristles!

Postby colmax on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:18 pm

I used to work for a medical and scientific optical manufacturer. The folk's who manually cleaned the precision optics always hammered home that you must NEVER EVER touch the bristles with your hands, dont ever brush the back of your hand with the brush etc.... It's the most effective way to contaminate the brush with OILY residue and dead skin! So - once the brushes are clean - put them away very safely in a sealed container and only pick up by the handle

Sorry to labour that point - but you will cause havoc if you then put brush to optics!

Apologies if this is already well known - I'm a newbie here :wink:
colmax

Postby Matt. K on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:21 pm

colmax

Thanks for that warning. Like most others I presume it's a trap we would have fallen into. Excellent information and damned good advice.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby boxerboy on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:21 pm

Welcome colmax - where you from?

Nice resurrection of this thread, look forward to seeing more of your posts and some photo's.

Cheers
Peter
my karma just ran over your dogma
boxerboy

Postby colmax on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:34 pm

boxerboy wrote:Welcome colmax - where you from?

Nice resurrection of this thread, look forward to seeing more of your posts and some photo's.

Cheers
Peter

Hi there!

I'm from Kilmacolm in Scotland. I'm about to buy a D70 and have been following all of the forums etc. I was very nearly buying a Pentax *istDS, but just spent this morning printing out a set of A4 photos from Canon XT/350, *istDS and Nikon D70 - I have to admit that the D70 blows away the XT/350 and most certainly the *istDS. Its a no brainer for me! Others may differ - but there ye go.
colmax

Return to Tips and tricks