Blending techniques (easy to intermediate)

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Blending techniques (easy to intermediate)

Postby Sean on Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:35 pm

This tip is for people who are exploring the possiblities and variations to their photos. It is similar to Matt K's technique used for landscapes only you can replicate image variations only using 1 original photo.

Duplicate the image onto a new layer (keep it on top of the original layer)and play with various the filters in your graphic program eg; in PS: neon glow, find egdes etc or even by making a selection/s and then applying a layer effect eg; drop shadow, bevel etc

Once you have something you want to test out on your original then control it's influence with the layer blending effects: eg in PS the drop the little pull down window that shows the word 'Normal'and try - overlay, multiply and also play with the opacity of that layer for further control

Here is an example: the first image was the original, I then made a duplicate of that image onto a new layer, then I applied a neon glow - (remember you can experiment with anything desaturate, invert etc) and then I blended that with an "overlay" layer blending effect.
See how it the third image was influenced.

Anyways I hope this might demistfy some of the possiblities open to your photography

Kind Regards
Sean :D
"The more I learn, the less I realise I know"
Sean

Postby Killakoala on Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:56 am

That's very good. I will have to explore this technique a bit further and do some experimenting.

Thanks for that.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Return to Tips and tricks