Oily Aperture Blades - Nikkor AF 28mm f2.8

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Oily Aperture Blades - Nikkor AF 28mm f2.8

Postby biggerry on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:27 pm

Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AFD - great lens, perfect for that 'normal' FOV on DX in my opinion.

The image gallery with all the following images and more is located here - also includes larger res images.

Several months (probably closer to a year) after purchasing a secondhand Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AF for quite a reasonable price off fleabay I noticed some quite random stuff going on with the exposure, I finally tracked it down when peering through the rear element and playing with the stop down lever. Each blade, at the contact point with the next mating blade had a fine dark coating which could only be described as an oil problem! Some internet related research did not yield a huge amount of info but did lead me to believe that oil on the aperture blades was fairly common for this lens, one interesting piece of information I found was that one should store this lens face/ass down to prevent oil from flowing onto blades, at this point I thought wtf.. that 'ain't good enough.

I found that giving the stop down lever a good workout before using the lens made it quite usable and the blades fairly responsive, this finally died in the rear when the blades finally stuck in the open position (f2.8) and only stopped down to f22 over a period of a few hours... So, what to do, flog it off on fleabay again? Take it to Nikon Australia? well I would not do the dodgy and pass it off to fleabay and the thought of paying more for a clean and quote fee from Nikon Australia then what I paid for the lens to start off with lead me to the only reasonable conclusion (jilted logic ya gotta understand!) - pull it apart and have a look! Whats the worst that could happen, I am left with a paperweight...I can live with that.

So a bit of research on the web for info on this aperture oil problem and also the option of a self clean yielded quite a number of resources dedicated to the old skool Ai lens but very few for the AF series lens. There was even a few flickr sets on a guy who had re-greased the helicoid on a 50 f1.4 AI. A couple of worthy sites came to the forefront and are deserving of a mention (excluding flickr):

Microtools! - I did not buy anything from here, however they seem to have all the goodies for the hobby camera/watch DIY.

Lens-inc - Lots of manuals and Exploded Parts Drawings

Besides the obvious concerns of damaging something during the disassemble or not being able to re-assemble the primary concern was what to use to clean the aperture blades and re-lube them (if they needed it, graphite maybe?) I did track down a parts manual from the Lens Inc site above for the 28mm and for 6 bucks aussie it was well spent in my opinion. However it does not have any details on lubes or procedures. It does have however, a very tidy selection of section views of the lens - these are great to see how it looks when assembled. A word of warning though, if you have never looked and understood a proper section view then its just gonna look like a whole bunch of useless lines on a page to you :)

So onto what I did:

Tools used:
Decent set of screw drivers, none of this 2 dollar shop sh$t, you need a good sturdy Cr-V steel tip set. Stainless steel tweezer set which is very essential (keep those grubby hands off the important bits). Surgical razor blade - many uses including cutting sticky tape ;)

Consumables: Isopropyl Alcohol, Pec Pads, cotton wool buds, double sided tape, sticky tape (probably should have some of that 3M non residue stuff and a small bottle of scotch or jager.

Words of Caution - This is purely a record of what I did and my experience, I do not any any way condone or recommend this to anyone. Also expect no warranty to these steps, do it at your own risk.

More words of caution:
- if you 'round' a screw head on these things it's good night. Most of the screws have a thread locker of sorts, not a true thread locker like Loctite but more of a tamper seal (clear red adhesive) placed on the head of the screw. Firm, perpendicular force is required to remove each screw.
- Protect the exposed lens elements where ever possible, a slip of the screw drive and thats a big scratch, a pec-pad may not prevent this but will help in any case.

Be prepared to disassemble and re-assemble more than, say twice (3 times in my case), I forgot to put the little aperture lock switch spring back in on the first go, the second go I got it horribly wrong and the internal lens was half a revolution out which resulted in the lens not focusing at infinity (good one toolie), third time lucky and it was all good.

I basically went hell-for-leather and started at the back and removed what ever screw i could get too, some thought and access to the IPC (Illustrated Parts Catalogue) would have been smart here. Prior to going hard at all the screws I attached a pec-pad to the rear element for some protection. It does get fairly self explanation once you get the rear mount off and the aperture ring, I also made sure I remembered what screws went where and how many, they are typically all different sizes and lengths, so not interchangeable. If you are planning to do it over a period time (ie days) use sticky tape to group screws to their locations - I found this very useful, probably would have worked it all out anyway but it saves time.

In hindsight, the order of disassembly and also the amount required would be different, but since this was a first crack I was not particularly fussed. The whole lens does not need to be disassembled to get the len element assembly out. Basically once you get the 'L' brackets (2 off) out the lens element will rotate out.

1) Remove the electrical connector/plug screws (qty 2), rotate the aperture ring around to get easier access to these tiny screws. These are the smallest screws used in this lens, make sure your screwdriver is appropriately sized. Remove the 3 screws holding the black plastic (matte finish) shroud that surrounds the rear lens element.

2) Remove the 3 screws holding the metal adapter that interfaces with the camera.

3) Now one can remove the black shroud (leaving the electrical connector in place) and the mounting adapter, things should be looking like this...

4) Remove Aperture ring and spacer plate, this plate is quite important since it engages the aperture ring with the aperture lever, if it is not correctly placed your aperture ring rotates without moving the aperture!

Spacer plate, aperture ring and mount;

5) Remove screw drive sprocket now cause it will fall out otherwise, also during this the aperture ring lock switch falls out, remove that too. There is also a little bent piece of spring steel which sits behind the switch, do not lose this bit - I almost did.

6) Release the two 'L' shaped brackets which basically keep the lens aligned when moving forward and aft in the lens body, after these are removed the front/aft lens assembly will be able to be unscrewed out of the lens, but wait until the next step is complete before trying this. Remember the position of the lens before taking these brackets out, it is possible (i did it) to not screw the lens all the way back in and hence the whole lens is out by half a revolution.

Righto, so things should be looking like this, arrange things as the come out, especially if you have a memory like a fish...

7) Remove the lens (front and rear assembly) from the body of the lens.

8) Remove the lens cap and apply double sided tape (small 1/4" bits) to the bezel (with the AF Nikkor logo), apply them all the way around the bezel. Using the rear lens cap reversed, place this on the bezel (and tape) and ensure its adhered. This will then permit one to rotate the bezel (anti-clockwise) off. This is essential since it then gives one access to the three screws that hold the front element in. Only a exploded parts view and section view will tell you this since that bezel hides all :)

9) Remove the three screws that hold the front element in and take that baby out. protect suitably with pec pads etc. This leaves the aperture assembly visible, woohoo.

10) The gold coloured retaining ring is held in with 3 screws, remove those and then the ring. The ring is also bonded in place (on the outer two tabs).

Note: This is where it becomes evident where the oil is coming from, the retaining ring sits in two slots (where the outer tabs mate) in the body of the lens assembly case, these slots pass right through to where the helicoid is. The oil, or rather grease has wicked down through this slot. In hindsight one should use adhesive to fill this slot (its only 0.005" wide) to prevent this problem from occuring again (possibly this is the Nikon permanent fix I have heard about). Really the design should have not permitted that slot to pass all the way through the plastic body, rather just a small recess, just enough for the tabs, thus, making the lens element area completely closed from the aperture blade area. But, its always easy in hindsight :) and manufacturing limitations may have dictated this.

Grease on the Helicoid and location of oil entry into the aperture blade location

11) Remove the Aperture assembly, there is a little spring that holds the aperture closed, this needs to be released, there is then a plate on the aft side of the assembly that links all the blades together, this will probably fall off and copious cursing will follow - it did for me.

Little spring:

12) Clean all blades gently in isopropyl, also the body as well and the retaining ring and the inside of the body. Also the area where the grease was seeping in! I used multiple cotton wool buds.

13) Reassemble aperture assembly, this is tricky, Make sure the blades are placed one on top of each other, with the final one the placed back over the first - a bit like when you fold the 4 flaps of a box lid up! This is important, the blades will not operate correctly and will probably crash and fall out when you try turn the whole upside down if the blades are not arranged correctly. Also do not operate the aperture until its back in the body, opening it up may mean it all falls apart...again.. It took me a few goes to get it right and learn the process.

14) Reassemble the whole thing :) Cleaning and removing dust as you go!

Clean aperture blade..oh sooo snappy!

Reassembled:

OK some images - before the clean:

After the clean and partial re-assemble:

oh yeah, by the way, it works like a bloody charm now...
Last edited by biggerry on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 11 times in total.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: Oily Aperture Blades - Nikkor AF 28mm f2.8

Postby aim54x on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:33 pm

very brave of you there Gerry....that should be a nice lens!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:05 am

Well done, and a great post.

Thanks.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:23 am

Whoa! How long did you take with this? :shock:

My only question is, do you have to replace the 'lost' grease to the place where it waws coming from? Would there be problems with 'not enough grease' ?
surenj

Postby biggerry on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:21 am

that should be a nice lens

I quite like the 28mm, its in a nice range for the DX format hence why i wanted it usable again..

How long did you take with this?

I started taking it apart about a week ago, I came back to it after do more research etc and did a bit more. I put it all back together in a couple of hours plus about an hour to clean various bits including the blades.

Would there be problems with 'not enough grease'

The grease has two purposes as I see it, 1) lubricate the thread and 2) dampen the mechanism. There was quite an amount of lube in there and I did not really remove very much from the thread, only the areas where the grease had become more viscous and moved to areas where it was not in contact with the thread or moving parts.

The next thing I want to do is track down some proper lube for it and clean all the old stuff and re-lube, but thats for another day!

Well done, and a great post.

I will get it updated in the coming days to be more coherent and have more pictures at the appropriate stops, it not meant to be a guide or anything, but more of a record of what I did and hopefully it may help someone else, I know even just having pictures of, say, the aperture blades assembled makes a world of difference when trying to put them back together!

stayed tuned.. :cough:
biggerry

Postby surenj on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:38 pm

Thanks Gerry for the clarifications.

biggerry wrote:I quite like the 28mm, its in a nice range for the DX format hence why i wanted it usable again..

Completely agree. I think the recommendation should be for 28 instead of the nifty 50 for APS-c.

I hope you post this on a blog as well. Sometimes it's hard to find things on the site.
surenj

Postby biggerry on Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:04 am

Updated post to have lots more pictures... click on thumbnails to see larger...

I hope you post this on a blog as well.

yeah will do. :up:
biggerry

Postby biggerry on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:10 pm

Ok, all done.

The only outstanding things are the helicoid grease lube specification and the lube (if any) for the aperture blades.

If anyone has any info on these two items i would really like to hear from you. Ideally I want to know where I can get the grease and that it meets or is equiv. to the nikon stuff, I do not want to have to trial and error different options. Anyone got any nikon contacts that could slip a sly question in for me? :wink: The other one is the aperture blade lube - is this required, I have read about people using graphite, but imo that sounds like a sure way to end up with lots of spots on the rear element. :idea:
biggerry

Postby biggerry on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:29 pm

I getting quite a few emails regarding this little repair recently, in particular the choice of grease for teh helicoid. To hopefully save further emails I will include what additional info I have.

I did original email Nikon Aust asking for guidance on the grease that should be used, however no surprise on the lack lustre response. I did some research on the classic camera repair forum (http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi) and the ice in space - amateur astronomy (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?home) and found the two types of grease that may be suitable. in a nutshell,
1. White Lithium Grease or
2. Silicon Grease
one of these should be ok, this is commonly what is used on telescope and precision equip. I hold no responsibility for this info and have not yet tracked down a brand/vendor.
biggerry

Postby Matt. K on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:33 pm

Gerry
I have followed your instructions and have all of my 9 lenses stripped down. I have put oil on all of the aperture blades, (Number 3 engine oil). Now what? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby phillipb on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:33 pm

Matt. K wrote:Gerry
I have followed your instructions and have all of my 9 lenses stripped down. I have put oil on all of the aperture blades, (Number 3 engine oil). Now what? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Matt, this is your chance to get your widest prime and your longest tele re-fitted together to make a super zoom. :D

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby aim54x on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:36 pm

:biglaugh:
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby biggerry on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:23 pm

*sigh*
biggerry

Return to Tips and tricks