D100 Sensor Cleaning

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D100 Sensor Cleaning

Postby AlistairF on Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:33 am

I'm after some advice and experience.

I've offered to clean my friend's D100 CCD. The D100 differs to the D70, as the MLU option in the menu is only available then the D100 is connected to an AC power supply. We don't have one.

Is it okay to clean the D100 using a battery and lock the mirror up using BULB mode with the shutter button depressed?

Some real-world advice would be appreciated before I begin.

Thanks,

Alistair
AlistairF

Postby xorl on Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:31 am

Probably not a good idea since the CCD is charged while the photo is being taken. I've read that some people carefully tape the mirror up while the camera is turned off so they can clean their DSLR. I'm not sure I'd risk it though..
Mark
xorl

Postby Onyx on Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:49 am

Press the bulb to lift the shutter, then release the battery door and let the cell drop. If it's not too diff from the D70, the shutter will remain open, mirror in the up position. Free to spit and polish the CCD as you please.
Onyx

Postby AlistairF on Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:04 am

Thanks Onyx, Buddy-Pal! I knew there was an answer out there.
AlistairF

Postby AlistairF on Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:01 pm

Onyx wrote:Press the bulb to lift the shutter, then release the battery door and let the cell drop. If it's not too diff from the D70, the shutter will remain open, mirror in the up position. Free to spit and polish the CCD as you please.

Okay... Somthing strange happens when I tried this with the D100. After opening the shutter in BULB and releasing the battery, the mirror stays locked up, but the shutter curtain still drops down to cover the CCD.

After some research, the safest way to clean the D100 without the AC adapter is to set the shutter to 30secs. This way you can open the shutter and be guaranteed that you have this time to get in and get out with the PEC-Pad.

After all this it really makes me appreciate the simplicity of the D70.

Alistair
AlistairF

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:12 pm

To clean the CCD on the D100, set to BULB and press the shutter release, I leave the battery intact inside the battery's compartment.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Georgia on Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:27 pm

My first time ! Hello everyone! Dust on CCD ? refer to 'menu' > mirror lock-up > yes > press button ( mirror locks-up , dust off) > switch off ( mirror closes ) !!
Menu > dust ref photo > yes > OK ( inspect screen illuminated ) > press button & back to normal . Hope I'm talking about the same thing, this seems so easy ( too easy ?) :lol:
Georgia

Postby AlistairF on Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:32 pm

Georgia wrote:My first time ! Hello everyone! Dust on CCD ? refer to 'menu' > mirror lock-up > yes > press button ( mirror locks-up , dust off) > switch off ( mirror closes ) !!
Menu > dust ref photo > yes > OK ( inspect screen illuminated ) > press button & back to normal . Hope I'm talking about the same thing, this seems so easy ( too easy ?) :lol:

Hi Georgia, Welcome to D70users!

I thought excactly the same whe I went to clean my friend's D100... it'll be the same as the D70. But, have you ever tried this little trick on the D100? It's a bit different to the D70. You can't access the MLU function (it's greyed out) unless you have the expensive AC adapter plugged in. The only way to clean a D100 with batteries is descibed in the tricks above...

Alistair
AlistairF

Return to Tips and tricks